As a way for people to share river preservation stories and learn about watershed issues, Tom’s of Maine is having its first-ever “River Stories” video contest, highlighting those who are working to protect our rivers.
Tom’s of Maine has been a long-standing river advocate since creating its first product in 1970, a non-polluting phosphate-free laundry detergent called Clearlake. Did you know that about 50% of the drinking water in the United States comes from rivers? Or that 40% of America’s rivers, lakes, and estuaries are unsuitable for such basic uses as fishing and swimming? And 218 million Americans live within 10 miles of a polluted lake, river, stream, or coastal area? Those are some serious facts and reasons to protect our rivers and honor those who are working toward this goal every day.
Here’s how to submit (by October 31!) your original video outlining the steps that are being made to make a positive impact upon rivers in your community:
• Document a local river story on video
• Log onto www.tomsofmaine.com and click on ‘River Stories Video Contest ’ link to complete the online entry form
• Visit www.youtube.com to set up a free account and confirm login information
• A valid email address is required to create an account
• Go to www.youtube.com/group/riverstories and click JOIN THIS GROUP to submit the entry
• Video entries should not exceed 10 minutes and/or 100 MB in size, and must comply with YouTube submission guidelines
• For complete contest rules visit www.tomsofmaine.com
One grand prize winner will be awarded a 2008 Toyota Prius Hybrid
All photos by Tim Palmer for Tom’s of Maine
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 559 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 11 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,558 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 854 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,788 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,384 share How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,593 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 4,333 shares