The Elephantmobile: Westfalia Solar Diesel Hybrid VW Camper Van.

Via on Dec 18, 2008

It’s late, I shouldn’t be typing, I should be cuddling with my pup Redford (who I left behind last week) and getting through the second half of Toshiro Mifune’s Samurai Trilogy, which I’ve seen a half dozen times since my best friend Noel and I used to watch it (and anything by Kurosawa, and anything Marx Bros) at the Boulder Public Library back when we were little wandering ronin.

But…one…last…blog.

So, I recently got rid of my car, finally. I’m a 365 day cyclist now (except for those days when I fly around the country, doing my small-yet-significant part to help make all our skies look like LA or Denver’s brown horizons). So while I may not be a member of Car Nation any longer, I do still dream of roadtripping in an ecoish wireless-equipped vehicle with staff and random friends as we do our little big elevision talk show at yoga studios, expos, festivals and theaters across the country.

And it looks like I just found my Dream Car. It’s a van—an update of the iconic VW Bus for the age of Climate Change. And you can actually reserve them, now, this is beyond concept (provided you got 128K laying around). Video:

About Waylon Lewis

9 Responses to “The Elephantmobile: Westfalia Solar Diesel Hybrid VW Camper Van.”

1. Michael Levin Michael says:

I have to admit I want one. I’m a confirmed Westie lover http://flickr.com/search/?q=vw&w=17499697%40N00
    But, I’ll have to settle for a conventional model, or maybe a bio powered Westfalia. What a cool machine!

2. Adriane says:

This is perfect for Rothbury!!! Elephant should take a road trip this summer! Sign me up!

3. admin says:

Shannon Kelly at 3:21am December 18
    Trying to give my ’88 VW Vanagon Adventure Wagon a run for her money, eh???

(Car crush!)

4. Jonathan says:

I love this design so much I want to marry it. Seriously. … But with a 60k dowry, ouch. Also there’s a huge leap between surface modeling and manufacturing, and the current models do not appear to realistically handle the latter.
    Still, I can keep hoping. I am sweating this van. It makes me want to go roll around in sawdust and mud naked and then climb a tree and shriek like a howler monkey. And I (almost) never say that.

5. Michael Levin Michael says:

Jonathan, you should not be surprised at your reaction. Being self sufficient creates exactly that sort of happiness in people.

• lorna ruckel says:

i'm in. we make our own bio diesel up hear in a.k. i want one with all wheel drive for the snow. my dream car has been a vw diesel camper with awd for years. it would be nice for the motor to be in front for safety reasons (moose) and slick roads. i wonder how i contact the designer and sign up.

6. [...] being into veganism, hybrids and soy milk is a mark of being a girly boy! If that’s the case, serve this soy boy a dry [...]

7. [...] mostly we just look forward to seeing ‘em in everyday use. And we’ve blogged our dream elemobile for our traveling talk show, great for bands and other eco roadtrippers. But an electric [...]

8. Eric says:

Darn – you could buy a used camper synchro, swap out the engine for a flat 6 from a Porsche, deck it out in ALL the goodies, and still have 100k in your pocket. And it would be USED, which is the most underrated way to reduce your footprint with your automobile purchase.