Fall 2009 Fashion preview: Gloom and doom!

Via on Jan 22, 2009

The bubble of fun has burst for everyone. The recession is growing deeper into something worse, a big something called depression. The domino effect of greed now has it’s time to reign over our world and all aspects of life seem to be going along for the presumable ride of darkness… and we haven’t even hit the Tibetan Don season yet (this is the last ten days of the lunar year on the Tibetan calender. It is when all the negative karma from the year has accumulated and is manifested. It is a time to stay safe and lay low).

Fashion tends to mirror what is happening in the economy but it usually begs to offer a different tone, usually something uplifting when when we could all use it.  In past hard times we have seen designers taking a positive approach by trying to give people what they want like happiness and originality. Unfortunately it seems we have hit rock bottom and the designers now are giving us what we need. Protection and alliance. Individuality has been thrown out the door to replace an army of midnight soldiers. Heavy dark fabrics with razor sharp cuts, high necklines and full coverage seem to be the only things that has been offered so far by any of the major trend setting designers.

It is obvious that designers are offering up collections that mimic a terrified sense of non well being. As The New York Times put it “designers reacted by staging a mass memorial for themselves”.

To be honest we all scared to death.

“Who is going to survive? and who will be taken down?” Are just a few of the questions that seemed to ooze through the tight darts and tucks of the knee length khol colored coats offered up this season.

Looks like the Don season may be a longer season than we all are used to experiencing. What will happen to women’s fashion? Probably much of the same, we will just have to wait and find out.

About Anna Gilkerson

Eco- Artist- Buddhist- Fashion designer from Nova Scotia, Canada: deuxfm.com + makenewvintage.blogspot.com

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

16 Responses to “Fall 2009 Fashion preview: Gloom and doom!”

1. This may not be the happiest go lucky blog I have ever done but it is some seriously important stuff, especially when I am finding half my designer peers are not even producing Spring 09 collections. It’s really scary so I have another blog coming- a more personal take on small eco fashion business dealing with recession. This is just a warm-up.

Please make a comment, I am very interested to hear what everyone is thinking right now….

2. Its grim times all over.
    When the well establish companies are pulling back, its nerve racking to the smaller up and coming to say the least.
    keep making and stay aware.
    what else can ya do ya know?
    i’m feeling hopeful that the atmosphere in the US will help us all rise above and make things work.
    Yes we can!
    ; p

3. Nicole Trask says:

This makes me sad. I think that in times like these we need (more than ever) the joyous distraction of what to wear, what music to listen to and what films to see. Although the designs shown here may be more practical – they lack inspiration. And, even, though econmists are predicting a long recession, we need fashion and the arts to uplift us and give us a little hope for the future…

4. Larry Leake says:

Sort of a neo-’60s Mods vs. Rockers with an Orwellian backbeat. Momma…..

5. Larry Leake says:

…but without the buttons and pearls….

6. As a small eco-designer who is in her 11th year of business, I can attest that this is definitely a dark hour for the fashion industry, especially for smaller, independent designers. Our spring ’09 collection is in production and is much smaller than normal, and fall ’09 will be very scaled back as well. Many of the major fashion magazines did not even go to the Paris Couture shows. Troubled times.

7. Leitha says:

Those models look hungry! Times are tuff!

8. Heather says:

These guys remind me of Dicken’s chimney sweeps.

Crazy that designers are foregoing their spring lines—seems this is just the time when we need to be reminded that renewal could be around the corner.

9. sj* says:

why do we let the designers “decide” what we’ll be wearing? i love black like the rest of the world, but i’ll continue to be sportin’ fab flashes o’ color and whatever jemie sparkles i can get my hands on! whatEVer mainstream! live up!

10. These designers may be in a dark mood, but the market will show if the public agrees. It may be a season for some darkness. I think while we are going through this shedding our collective skin process, there is also an opening for lots of brilliance and inspiration! Just be ready to jump, and remember the non-attachment.

11. That’s the spirit SJ* shine bright

12. Michelle says:

I like the dark and gloomy looks for now at least. But then again I also like vampires.

13. Joana Smith says:

Thanx Anna! Black is my worst colour, let’s have a mutiny on elephant!

14. Becca Horner says:

This is so depressing. I can see what’s happening though.. the vampire look really seems to be popular with designers this season. I actually saw a collection in a recent Fashion magazine and the whole shoot was devoted to a vampire theme. It sort of seemed to start after the Twilight explosion. Personally, I think it is terribly tired and unoriginal. Where is the color? Where are the interesting lines and creativity? Apparently not around this season.

15. Danica says:

navy should be the new black.

16. For sure man, that may be some critical information. Precisely how much time did that take you to generate the article? Are you growing to possibly be building a bunch even more? Simply because I’d personally seriously take delight in to look over more… I think that Im planning to come back just about every day… A predicament intended for you – have you actually discovered of that site known as MW2CC? It is really seriously definitely one of the greatest online communities with regard to Call of Duty and associated game titles and I’ve also been suggesting to each and every one of my best amigos to connect! I think these people are possibly checking for bloggers to place material specifically on their own online site, which means you would be wise to obviously give consideration to registering with them to reap greater status for your blog site! You are required a good invite in order to join up, but since I enjoy your current blog page so substantially, I am going to give you the special code in order to join: Under referral Username, you need to put in STUFFPWNZ. Once you join, be certain to add me personally!!!