Keep Calm & Bike Poster On.

Via on Aug 12, 2009

keep calm and bike one ride

10 Bike Posters that I love.

Okay, a few more than 10. And a few aren’t posters, they’re ads. And one ain’t even a bike, but haulin’ a pig on the back of yer scootah? Gotta include that. And one I don’t love, it’s tacky.

In any case. For the rest…there’s something so symetrical, so exciting, so grassroots revolutionary and yet so wholesome about bikes. I think if I was asked what my favorite symbol of all-time was, I’d have to say a bike. It’s fun. It’s green. It’s healthy. It is revolutionary.

And bike posters capture that. Particularly old ones, they used to be works of art. These days—when cities are designed for cars, not people; and our earth’s climate is changing thanks to thousands of tons of pollution each hour—bike posters generally have a more civic, ideological and/or environmental edge.

Which one’s your favorite? Have another favorite? Email link or image to ele.

Click the main image to toggle:

[galleria]

[slide]

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Keep Calm & Bike Poster On.”

1. Green Key says:

Nice collection! These were a lot of fun to click through!.I can't say I'm liking the poor piggies though.

2. Christine says:

it takes like a million years for this page to upload. Then I see a bunch of naked pics. Can't you promote bike riding without using sex? that'd be great.

• Waylon Lewis says:

I can't do anything without thinking about sex. ~ Waylon

• One eye says:

Eye thought it was using bicycling to promote sex, which eye supports entirely.

• Nerine says:

I love you Waylon! This is a classic post… Every post, I love them all. Funny ones, sad ones, the serious, the well researched and the sexy ones.
        However, I am getting creepy angry feelings inside due to all of the negative comments.

Do you think there is a place for me here, sometimes I doubt it? I never feel the need to criticise or cast judgement. I just take it all in my friend. I should take a deep breath.

Thanks again, appreciate you and all the input in this intergalactic sharing community.

• Bethany says:

The issueI have with the posters with naked women is that those are just more examples of how women are being used as OBJECTS to sell merchandise (clearly targeted to a male audience); unlike the poster with the naked man, which shows strength and form (i.e. from riding a bicycle). The posters with the women are a bit sophomoric and I would expect more from a site that supposedly supports sustainability, which also means advancing women and not supporting those that depict them as"sex objects."

• elephantjournal says:

I agree. But there's a hottie naked Lance for you up there, too, and many of the men above are wearing next to nothing, looking hot! Equal opportunity sexuality.

3. One eye says:

please get a new photo viewer whoever designed that one, well just get a better one.

4. Aborn says:

Classes post agreed!!

5. pedal prints says:

Love em! big fan or bikes and words. check out my etsy shop for some bike poster prints :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/pedalprints

6. loriinthesky says:

i have a couple of these prints framed on my walls!