Here’s a challenge for you. Can you summarize your spiritual beliefs in 5-6 sentences?
When I first got involved in Yoga I became so intrigued with this question that I spent the next several years trying to answer it. Eventually my answers turned into my blog and eBook.
I went through a lot of twists and turns on my inner journey. Eventually I concluded that Yoga philosophy is sublimely simple, profound, and livable. Yet it can be difficult to grasp because of its unfamiliar language and complex history.
I became intrigued with whether it was possible to capture the essence of Yoga philosophy in plain English, without any specialized terminology or assumed prerequisite background knowledge. (Not that I have anything against these. I’m no scholar, but I have become pretty well-versed in the language and lore of the big three ancient texts of Yoga–the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Yoga Sutra.)
Here’s what I came up with:
1) Each of us is already infinitely wondrous—miraculous, awe-inspiring, unfathomable. (This is well hidden beneath the distractions and emotions of everyday life.)
2) Our wondrous nature is the same as the infinite wonder of the universe.
3) The way to experience our wondrous self is to fully experience the present moment, since each moment of consciousness is infinitely wondrous in itself.
4) The mind, body, and spirit are inseparable.
5) Experiencing our wondrous self leads to an abundance of joy and goodness.
6) The techniques of Yoga, leading to “pure awareness”, are one method for discovering our true wondrous nature.
I challenge you to do the same for your spiritual beliefs and share it with us in a comment below.
Bob Weisenberg http://YogaDemystified.com
hot on elephant
How I stopped Speed Dating my Passions & finally Committed. 236 shares New Moon in Scorpio: Only those who Believe in Magic will Find It. 5,434 shares She Smiles as she Cries: the Story of High-functioning Depression. 5,088 shares A Homemade Buddhist Ritual for Letting Go. 615 shares 10 Things to Know about Dating a Scorpio (& Why they Love Sex). 602 shares Living with C-PTSD Following an Abusive Relationship. 2,722 shares November Energy Forecast: Love & the Twin Flame magic of 11:11. 1,432 share Why we must Break to Heal. 1,042 share To my Diego: 4 Poems by Frida Kahlo that Demonstrate the Exquisite Nature of Love. 648 shares Why it’s Okay we Won’t ever have Sex. 290 shares