Via on May 4, 2010

eat pray love movie gilbert julia roberts poster

“Let Your Self Go”

Elizabeth Gilbert is one of our faves, ever since I read a chapter of Eat, Pray, Love and (nearly) got to interview her when she was in town for a book reading (a cold intervened an hour before we were to meet).

About elephant journal

9 Responses to “Julia Roberts is Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love—the Movie. {Video Trailer}”

1. Tricia
    This is sooooo exciting can not wait until it is in Australia :)

Shirley-Anne
    Wooo Hooo, my FAVOURITE story…..

Gaby
    Am I the only one who thought it was tripe?

Jessica
    I dont know what all the fuss is about either, couldn't finish it, was so boring and typical, white woman gets a divorce and travels, oh yeah and she eats! WOW!

Susan
    I don't get it either. Literally forced myself to finish this book. And that says alot because I'm a prolific reader. It was dreadful!

Bob
    eat, pray, wear clean underpants

Jaclyn K
    I loved this book! I cant wait for the movie…Julia Roberts is fantastic.

Susan V
    susan- think you might of missed something in the translation, i like what and how elizabeth told her story. grateful to all the women who recommended it as a must read , i got what they loved about it too. peace,love and soulfull nourishment-susan

Patricia
    i can't wait for this movie!!!

Emily
    Really? That's too bad… would have been nice to have an unknown actor play her. Let's hope Julia can pull it off and convince us that she is no longer Julia but in fact, Elizabeth.

Johanna
    I think some books are meant to stay books… Loved the read….not so curious about a movie…

Eco Yogini
    Agree Johanna & emily.

Emily: I think Julia's perfect for it, and I'm no particular fan…but she's open, accessible, vulnerable…all the things Gilbert is/was–and she'll make it a major movie just by being involved, which makes our Gilbert even bigger, which is great.

2. Patricia says:

I can't wait for this movie!!!

3. cocco says:

@Jessica & Susan. Ya, my friends and I call it "eat, pray, wank."

4. AlignBetween says:

It's very interesting the two perspectives people have on the book. I can see why some people evaluate the conditions of how the story was financed and how it unfolded to be a reason for criticism, and may consider it "fluff" or even unrealistic and silly compared to our own lives and routines. Perhaps there is an element of not being able to relate (Maybe Elizabeth, maybe her readers, or both!)

But… there is a deeper meaning that alot of people take from Elizabeth's story, which they truly resonate with. For many people, it's terrifying to travel alone. It's also terrifying to actually be alone, and even furthermore to be spontaneous and adventurous. Spending weeks in an ashram in an India is not exactly like practicing yoga in a beautiful ashram or studio for one hour a week in the States. I can imagine there is an isolation, a soul searching, people are actually there to get something real out of it. I know people who have traveled in India and it is not exactly a vacation by Western or European standards.

Many times the very presence of a "hype" turns people off. "Hype" can influence your expectations and even make you want to go "pffffft!" what was all that about?

Often it just takes for a person to be in a certain place in their life for a book like this to speak to you. Some people won't be turned on by it, but for those that are: It's about freedom, destiny, abundance, loss, and self discovery, told in a very candid and "great story over a glass of wine with a dear friend" kind of way. As for the movie, that remains to be seen. The book will still have my heart.

5. AlignBetween says:

6. Celia Aurora de Blas Aurora says:

Loved the book. Not sure if the movie will measure up but looking forward to a gander.

Here is a TED TALKS that Elizabeth Gilbert did that is truly inspirational… http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_gen

7. Erin says:

I am so ooo oooooo into this

8. Mukti says:

I can't agree with you more AlignBetween! I loved the book and look forward to seeing the movie, I don't care what anybody says. We have to learn to let go of expecations and start being a little less judgmental. Shanti!!