Via Waylon Lewis
on Jun 29, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Comment below.

Think locally, blog globally.

Where in the World is the average elephant journal Reader?

elephant was born and raised in Boulder, Colorado—as was I.

And, lately, I don’t get out much—the past year point five I’ve been busy building this site up into a real forum for anyone who share a mindful viewpoint about…well, anything. Anyone means you.

And so, not getting out much, I get asked from time to time (usually, by a Boulderite)

“Is elephant is local?”

I always grimace, and smirk, and wink and nudge and hop and skip and jump—all in 1/2 a second (it’s called a seizure).

No, elephant is not local—that is, a Boulder-focused publication. We are, however, proud to be a Boulder-based publication that focuses on everything “mindful,” wherever it happens to be. And we’re adding readers, and, importantly, writers, from every city in the US right now, and Canada. And we’d love more writers from other countries, and are happy to publish in Spanish or French or Japanese or Chinese or Hindi or what-have-you. Email us if you’d like to contribute, and be featured on our site.

Admittedly, the “Local” confusion is understandable—I, the founder, am based here, as are some of our writers, and Boulder itself is the postcard of a city trying to organize itself in a responsible manner. I always say,

“Well, we’re like the little new media Boulder version of The New Yorker—you know, the New Yorker personifies New York in many ways, but isn’t just about NYC.”

So, a friend out of NYC, as it happens, just asked me if I knew where my readers were.

Do you have demographics on your readers? Do you have any sense of where geographically they are?

To which I replied:

Yah, Google Analytics tells us all that down to the inch. Heaven, compared with print, where it was all educated guesstimation. I’ll blog it up, might be interesting.

So, here it is, straight from the guts of Google’s vivesection of our site over the last moonth.

Planet Earth:

About Waylon Lewis

Waylon Lewis, founder of elephant magazine, now & host of Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis, is a 1st generation American Buddhist “Dharma Brat." Voted #1 in U.S. on twitter for #green two years running, Changemaker & Eco Ambassador by Treehugger, Green Hero by Discovery’s Planet Green, Best (!) Shameless Self-Promoter at Westword's Web Awards, Prominent Buddhist by Shambhala Sun, & 100 Most Influential People in Health & Fitness 2011 by "Greatist", Waylon is a mediocre climber, lazy yogi, 365-day bicycle commuter & best friend to Redford (his rescue hound). His aim: to bring the good news re: "the mindful life" beyond the choir & to all those who didn't know they gave a care. | | | | | Google+ For more: publisherelephantjournalcom

36 Responses to “Some people think elephant is a local Boulder, Colorado publication. But where are you from?”

1. via

Deborah McGee
    Northwestern New Mexico! (Oh, believe me. It's not THAT exciting. It's the anti-thesis of Boulder, actually.) But the landscape is remarkable in certain spots. (One must be somewhat selective.) And not too far from Durango, CO, so it makes it a palatable place to live *some*times. :)

If I have a very good friend who lives in Boulder proper, could I count as a Boulder local, once-removed? 😉

Shannon Terry
    Gulfport (Tampa Bay), FL

Bridget McDonald

Lorre Fleming
    Tampa, FL

Laksmipriya Lotus
    Santa Cruz, CA…though st the moment in Salt lake City, Utah for few weeks

Cindy VanKroonenburgh
    Toronto Ontario, eh!

Robert Baker
    well, since you published one my articles I represent Vegas, Baby!

Jennifer Tuck

CJ Vapenik
    Los Angeles, Ca

Todd Burton
    Red Bank, NJ

A-Rock Pseudonym
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Wow, this is so cool. I think I'm the first Boulder, Colorado!

Emer Tuohy
    Waterford, Ireland

Sidney Cannon
    Harvard, MA

Kristina Nicholas
    columbus, ohio

Kelly Anne Mattheis
    Cozumel, Mexico!!!

Judith Jantz
    Sweltering Fort Lauderdale, FL!

Jim Hasse
    Walnut Creek, CA (SF Bay area)

Melinda Kearney
    Boulder Native, living in Napa

Carrie Reed
    Eliot, Maine

Jessica Parrell
    Norwich, Connecticut

Kayle Martin
    Grass Valley, CA (used to live in Boulder!)

Rick Gilbert
    OC, CA originally–now Port Orchard WA. Puget Sound in the house!

Mary Stevens Casey
    Boulder via Chapel Hill, Portland, Miami, and Allentown.

Dana Langer

Lehman Jeff
    Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Stacy White
    Victoria, BC Canada

2. mary says:

wicklow, ireland

3. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which has one of the most beautiful lake-fronts in the country, including a volleyball beach that could be right of southern California (where I grew up.)

4. Shanon says:

Chicago, Illinois. Right in the heart of the city – not far from one of the most beautiful lakefronts on earth. =)

5. Ari Pliskin says:

Montague, MA. Home of the Zen Peacemakers.

6. San Francisco in the house!!!

7. Juan2free4 says:

Baltimore, MD…B-more like Boulder!

8. gwenbell says:

Boulder, CO via Yokohama, JP via Chapel Hill, NC

9. Meg says:

Akron, Ohio!

10. jrmontag says:

Boulder, CO baby!

11. metalbuddha says:

I'm from the Suckramento…err, I mean Sacramento, CA area.

12. Gainesville, FL (The Swamp)

13. Chrissy Nicholas says:

A very hot Las Vegas, NV

14. Adam says:

Currently residing in Arlington, WA. Home of………………

nothing really. But we are nestled in the North Cascades rather nicely…

15. Patrick Maltais says:

I hang my hat in the Yukon (just outside of Whitehorse)…..I measure streamflow & my area of resp is all tyhe rivers between Whse & Toad River in the N.Rockies of N.BC.
    Great publication!!:)

16. Ari W says:

Oklahoma City, OK

17. Crystal says:

Brooklyn, NY

18. Lee says:

Gilbertsville, PA (30 miles northwest of Philly)

19. Dawn says:

Hollywood, CA

20. kate says:

tempe, artizona

21. Vitor says:

São Paulo – Brazil

22. Rio Grande,Puerto Rico

23. via

Maria Dennis
    Los Angeles!

Pam Lampe
    Just down the road….Loveland, Colorado.

Heidi Turner

Kane'ohe, O'ahu, Hawai'i 😀

Margo Kellar
    Portland, Maine

Gayenell Burch
    Camden, NJ

Stephanie Demos
    san francisco vial telluride via tucson via phoenix still recovering from ohio!

Heather Landry-Dooks

Nacogdoches, Texas!

Debbie Caulfield
    Lafayette, Colorado!

Jill Entenman
    Sioux Falls, SD

Waylon Lewis
    Boulder, Colorado! By way of Barnet, Vermont, and Boston, Massachusetts!

Evangeline Avila
    chicago!!! il

24. Ben Ralston says:

Hi Waylon,

From Slovenia.
    I run a yoga retreat / healing holiday center here.

Just published my first article on EJ today:
    ( ),
    so I’m guessing I’m your first Slovene contributor?

25. gin says:

kuala lumpur, malaysia

26. Hi Webmaster, commenters and everybody else !!! The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Keep ’em coming… you all do such a great job at such Concepts… can’t tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do!

27. I feel this is among the most vital information for me. And i am satisfied reading your article. But wanna remark on few common things, The site taste is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Excellent activity, cheers

28. Excellent weblog here! Additionally your website quite a bit up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

29. Booker Marchetti says:

Hey there. I found your site via Google at the same time as searching for a similar matter, your website got here up. It seems good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back later.