Why not to smoke pot from a Buddhist point of view.

Via on Jun 10, 2010

Why Buddhism views Pot as a no-no (hint: it’s not about morality)

I believe it should be legal, safe, and taxed like alcohol. But I personally don’t smoke, because I don’t find it helpful.

My buddy D and I have had the is-pot-a-good-thing-for-humans argument for years…well before pot became more or less legal in these here parts.

I’ve smoked pot, we’ve all smoked pot. But I was brought up Buddhist, and Buddhism is all about clearing and opening and waking up one’s mind. Pot isn’t always conducive to such, though in limited and mindful quantities it can be a lot of fun, and relaxing. So I don’t smoke, and haven’t done for many, many years. (In high school, in Vermont, however, I had my bogarting everyone’s spliffs phase).

Many folks still view marijuana as immoral. Buddhism doesn’t, and I don’t. It’s about the same as alcohol, to my mind, only far less harmful (alcohol causes so many accidents, and can lead more easily to fights…pot leads to eating brownies, watching TV, deep conversations about where fire goes when it burns out, and deep conversations about Sartre, and God, and Kant). That said, from a point of view of developing one’s path of meditation, pot might not be helpful for most of us.

Still, Buddhism more or less forbids the smoking of pot. I remember my Buddhist teacher, Chogyam Trungpa, invited all his Buddhist students to bring all their pot to “a party” in the early days—and, when they got there, they were ordered/asked to throw it upon a bonfire. Smoking dope is akin to “inviting clouds of ignorance into your mind,” Trungpa Rinpoche said, or something along those lines. I couldn’t remember the exact quote, or find it online, so I asked my momma:

From: Waylon Lewis <info at elephantjournal dot com>
Subject: Re: curious
Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 1:13 PM

Dear Mom,

I looked all over…there’s lots of references to him talking about it as inviting clouds of ignorance in to your mindstream, that sort of thing, but I didn’t find an exact quote.

Dear Waylon,

All I know is what I’ve told you before—Rinpoche told us in the early “70′s, after trying most everything himself without it having much of an effect on him, that we shouldn’t do drugs or grass, “Try ordinary mind instead!”—not that we knew what that was then.

But the message was at least clear to me to give up my hippie pattern of trying whatever was offered; if I were going to have a teacher, I should follow his teachings.

Later in the mid- to late ’70′s he was asked about drinking and he seemed to think that was ok because if one lost one’s mindfulness, the hangover was the re-grounding message.

In the early 80′s he also said over and over again not to mimic his life-style, but to emulate him.

This made sense as all along he had pointed out that Gampopa was not like Mila who was not like Marpa who was not like Naro who was not like Tilopa.  (The monk was not like the yogi who was not like the merchant-farmer-translator who was not like the scholar of the Northern Gate of Nalanda who was not like the man along the banks of the river living off of fish heads and entrails!)

Cheers and love,
mom

About Waylon Lewis

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

81 Responses to “Why not to smoke pot from a Buddhist point of view.”

1. mary says:

Tsa Lung teachers in the nyingmapa tradition say smoke in general clouds the channels.
    That pot initally opens the mind, but if this is not supported with ethics right behaviours.wisdom etc..it twists the heart center and closes it up again,thats the ignorance.
    And that one shouldnt depend on any substance to change ones state of mind if possible.

• Robert Bullock says:

Yes, but "depend", that's the key word.

• Alex Hak says:

Ah, but all states of mind are inherently determined by neural function, and therefore, "substances"!

2. Rick Gilbert says:

I've heard from another dharma brat, who said that her father told her that Rinpoche made a proclimation when the weed was added to the fire–something along the lines of "burn, self-deception, burn."

• Robert Bullock says:

I can believe that. Because for a lot of immature, inexperienced practitioners, drugs would no doubt be yet another self-deception. For the mature, experienced practitioner, however, maybe not.

3. Jenny says:

It might have been fun to be close to that fire though. (back then).

4. Padma Kadag says:

I would add to Mary's comment that it not only "clouds" the channels but inhalation of any smoke ie. Marijuana, tobacco, opium actually kills subtle beings inside the subtle body of an individual. Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche in admonishing a few of the Brazilian workers working at his center in southern Brasil taught from a text from Guru Rinpoche that smoking, each instance, was equivalent to killing 100 sentient beings.

5. swati jr* says:

seems to me all mind-altering drugs are the same ultimately. we really don't need any of them. and especially not for developing higher states of consciousness.

• Robert Bullock says:

Can't disagree with that. However, I don't think it's a question of whether drugs are *necessary* for developing "higher states of consciousness" but if they're either blanket forbidden by the Buddhist tradition and/or a real obstacle to development. I say no on both counts. Then again, I like weed. ;-)

• Joyce says:

I would agree that there is no threat in it being an obstacle, as long as a dependency doesn't develop. Once a dependency develops, whether it is to food, exercise, success, shopping, alcohol, drugs, sex, etc., etc., very real obstacles develop. Try being dependent on something…anything…and have it NOT affect your life in a negative way. It's actually impossible.

• Sunshine says:

you definitely have not tried DMT or ayahuasca.

6. neil g says:

Smoking pot facilitates fun, it leads to people laughing a little easier. There are many hours in a day, they don't all have to be spent developing higher states of consciousness, doing good, being responsible….. Sometimes smoking pot leads to people not feeling good about things, which leads to them being contemplative in the following days, wondering, what was going on that did not allow me to have fun. These following days are equivalent to Trungpa Rinpche's hangover rationalization for drinking. If Trungpa Rinpoche happened to love pot instead of Sake, he would have made his argument the other way around : )

• Sunnata says:

With respect, its not about a higher states of consciousness, its about the eightfold path. Specifically, right mindfulness and right concentration and even right understanding are all affected when under the influence of a mind altering chemical such as alcohol and mindfulness.

An individual can choose to do whatever they want, but I believe that dharma teaches the further you stray from the eightfold path the more likely you are to experience suffering.

7. Jeff says:

Set and setting goes a long way towards resolving speculation.

8. zenbo says:

Trungpa Rinpoche advising his followers not to alter their consciousness with 'chemicals" ?
    That's a rich one!

• via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal
      Dan M
      The Author seems to still be drawn to the cult of personality around Rinpoche. Why not instead celbrate that he was a brilliant, and entirely human being, with many all-too-human flaws. (some interesting links there too, leading to more questions than answers)

Deniz T
      I would've told him, "OK, I'll throw it in the fire if you throw all your booze in the fire too."

Steve D
      That's funny, a cult of personality, a term derived from Marxism I believe, applied to Trungpa.

Mira F
      Didn't have time to read the article. But it's refreshing to see celebs smoking herb for a change :)

German G
      I had this conversation about the use of marijuana with a friend back in march this year in a little town close to Monterrey, Mexico. At the time there was a wave of violence and killings in the big city that all of us were talking about. Some of my many climbing friends from the US and Canada were contacted by family and friends to check if they were OK. My friend and I agree that seemed to be the general opinion that the violence and killings were so negative, perhaps "and immoral thing"? but for many of the very same people complaining about the insecurity in Mexico it doesn't seem like a bad idea or "immoral" to consume the byproduct of that violence and kill that is the marijuana.

"Men are more moral than they think and far more immoral than they can imagine". ~ Sigmund Freud

• Robert Bullock says:

I agree with German G… we shouldn't be smoking/consuming anything that promotes or funds violence. Now try that trick and see how long you can survive in this country! It's virtually impossible, this nation was and is fueled by violence. That said, I personally would only smoke weed grown by local friends. It's better anyway and nobody gets hurt.

9. Randall Smith says:

It would be interesting to have a lama and an ayahuascero compare notes. Recreational use is escape. Entheogenic use is engagement.

• These drugs are good at blasting us to new states. I can say the same of non-drug spiritual methodologies. However, those rocket ships only fly for so long. The real test is day-to-day living. I can be perfectly spiritual in my cave on the mountain, but once I come back to society the real test begins.

What is needed is real practice in daily life. Otherwise you're just a dilettante with a head full of intellectual fluff.

10. Yeshe Dorje says:

I don't know about "Buddhism" forbidding the use of marijuana. I do know that all the vajra masters I have studied with have been quite specific in requesting me not to smoke anything. I have respected that request.

I do get curious every so often about the impact of cooking marijuana into some food… However that is not an option for me, as this plant is still very "illegal" in my neighborhood.

Funny planet. Funny religions. Funny gun-weilding governments…

• Pamela says:

Yes. It is actually quite dangerous for tantric practitioners to smoke marijuana…does very strange things in the nadis and creates shadow channels. New research shows that it can dehydrate the brain's synapses…my teacher says it is like practicing for alzheimer's. It is not the smoking, it is the thc….kryptonite for tantricas.

• andeejo says:

you hit the nail on the head there. exactly. in my ayurvedic practice i explain that to patients, but in my western practice, for patients with cancer etc, i advocate for pain control with prescription thc… but it really does seem to do something different to the body when the intention is medicinal, that may apply to everyone… but i don't think most of us are enlightened enough to know the difference… so until then… prolly not helpful for the path… :)

11. Robert Bullock says:

"Still, Buddhism more or less forbids the smoking of pot."

I don't think that's anywhere close to true. It might be true for monks, maybe. I don't think smoking a LOT of grass is good for anyone for any number of reasons, but I don't buy that it's "forbidden" for good little Buddhists. It makes you sleepy and fat and hard to meditate. But once in awhile, it seems like a really good thing for spiritual practice.

For one thing, it's a rich, intense experience with which you can work with. If you're a decent meditator, a little bit of good weed is not going to pose a problem. You can work with whatever experiences you have and since the experience of being high is not your norm (if it's not), it's a good opportunity to observe something outside of your habituated mental states.

If you're a newbie, it can absolutely provide you with yet another delusional state that you'll mistake for "enlightenment", but you're going to do that over and over again anyway, so what's the big deal?

• Padma Kadag says:

"If you're a decent meditator, a little bit of good weed is not going to pose a problem. You can work with whatever experiences you have and since the experience of being high is not your norm (if it's not), it's a good opportunity to observe something outside of your habituated mental states. " This statement is this referring to you? Wow thats great!

• Robert says:

It's referring to anyone who experiments with altered states of consciousness with a spiritual orientation. It's very difficult sometimes to see our thought patterns until they're disturbed or interrupted. Some people become very frightened when they take drugs. Some very happy. Some very spaced out. Any state of mind that is outside of your norm is good to work with, but if you believe that the drug is bringing some special insight on it's own, you are definitely deluded.

• Pamela says:

You are really asking for trouble when you combine pot with practice. Tremendously naive.

12. gsergg4rg says:

The biggest benefit that I personally see to marijuana is that it increases my sex drive. I'm 22, male, and have almost no sex drive usually. I regularly go months without feeling anything vaguely sexual whether physical or mental. But if I smoke pot? Wow, it's like I have a normal sex drive and can get aroused for once.

So basically for me it increases certain aspects of aesthetic enjoyment, in particular enjoyment of certain types of music. I can't get into much of my meditative music while high but other stuff is just unbelievably enjoyable. One other effect of it for me is the enhancement of associative thinking – instead of feeling fairly centered in mental calmness, thinking deliberately and slowly in a singularly directed fashion, pot causes my thoughts to create new connections in novel ways, and sometimes will spend hours simply thinking in this manner, enjoying the show of it. It requires a great deal of concentration though to not get lost in the maze of my own thoughts. If I am absent minded for even a moment there's the very real possibility of landing in a paranoia trip and spiraling out of control in my own web of illusion.

Marijuana is also "useful" for relieving depression. Of course this could be said of anything which lightens anyone's mental load but I do find it incredibly potent for clearing away the dark clouds. I've even been in states close to suicide where, after smoking, I laugh at the grave seriousness of my prior mindstate. Of course when the high wears off I'm back to where I started from, mostly, but that relief period is sometimes enough to give me the will to continue on.

13. Daniel says:

I am not now nor do I desire to be a Buddhist so whether it is allowed within that context is not my concern. I have witnessed various cultures and all seem to have an acceptable intoxicant. I have seen marijuana almost everywhere I have been. Coca leaves are chewed in the Andes, Kat or Miraa in Africa, opium in asia and alcohol most (but not all) everywhere. And there are many more that I know nothing about.

Is it harmful physiologically? Of course it is. So is breathing the air in any major city. I once read that living in Los Angeles equated to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. Soda, or pesticides or lying in the sun are also bad for the body. Living is bad for the body. From the point you are born your body begins the path toward death. No amount of vegetables or sun salutations or anything else will divert us from our path back to the dust.

I spent a few years as a bartender which provided an interesting sounding board for smoking. I came to realize that as a bartender I was nothing more than a legalized drug pusher. Addicts showed up, I served them. Pour them hard and they would sit at my bar all night and tip me well! Over time I began to systematize drugs similar to alcohols. I began to see that marijuana in its natural form was very similar to beer. Very predictable and controllable. The same is true of most unrefined drugs such as raw coca leaves or Kat. Then we step up to the refined level. Whiskeys began to look like hashish or cocaine. Strong addictive power that can and does catch people in its net. Everybody knows what can happen when a bottle of tequila gets cracked and is passed around the room. Then there are the realms beyond this that I wanted no part of.

I personally have found it useful in limited amounts. Every once and I while it is nice to have a bit to review where I am in life and whether or not I am happy. A chance to look at myself from a different perspective. In that affect it has influenced some major decisions in my life,… for the better. I also find it a nice change to exercize. It brings a focus (or a dulling of peripheral distractions) to the routine. It could be a long hike in the woods or a bike ride or a deep stretch routine. As with anything, used in moderation it has its positives.

I think the Dutch have got it right. We can argue the morality but hard to argue its presence. Create a legal niche and control it.

• RobiDon says:

"Is it harmful physiologically? Of course it is."

This statement flies in the face of research which compared the health and capacity of the lungs of people who didn't smoke anything, those who only smoked tobacco, those who smoked tobacco and cannabis, and those who only smoked cannabis. The tobacco-only smokers had damage leading up to emphysema. The tobacco-cannabis smokers had much less damage. The cannabis-only smokers were equivalent to the non-smokers.

• emilyo says:

Can you provide the source for this info? If a lighter was used to smoke, inhaling butane must have some effect, no? Vaporizing is the answer : )

14. dave says:

Padmasambhava never spoke against marajuanna or cannabis not once, theres no record of it anywhere

he gave many teachings on tabacco and its ill effects

am i right in thinking he was a practicing shivite in the charnel grounds??

the effects of grass and tabacco are very different, look at chinese medicine that is a good way of seeing what both plants do to the chi, tabacco very bad effect , grass not so bad but can cause problems if over used

• RobiDon says:

Those who worship Shiva consider cannabis to be a gift from Shiva and use it as part of their worship.

15. David McKinney says:

Frederic says: "Bottom line is if you're serious about your enlightenment, it should be avoided."

C'mon, man–first of all, there is no *your* enlightenment, right? And even if we take a very relative view and allow for "your" enlightenment and "my" enlightenment, how could you possibly presume to know what inhibits or facilitates "mine"?

Most of the anti-weed arguments sound like recycled judeo-christian dogma to me. Within Hinayana view, for sure, it's "bad" and should be avoided. From any view focused on the cultivation of the wisdom that perceives emptiness, however, how could weed possibly be any less empty than not-weed?

Also, I feel the context of CTR's teaching on this has been totally overlooked. CTR came to Colorado in the 70s and was met by 70s hippies who were veering to the extreme of sloppiness and spaciness. Collectively that group of people were spaced-out and loose enough that they didn't need any more space, so he quite logically nudged them back towards the middle! Nowadays, however, lots of buddhists seem kinda stiff to me, caught up in rules and minutiae, the letter of the dharma vs the spirit of the dharma you could say. The spirit or goal of the dharma is recognizing the true nature of mind (for the benefit of all beings), and anything that facilitates this is, to my understanding, dharma.

It's not helpful for everyone, but for many people cannabis sativa facilitates a fresh perspective, and if the practitioner is able to use that fresh perspective skillfully to investigate the true nature of mind, well–I don't see how that's "bad"…

Undoubtedly there's serious potential for confusion/misuse, but that's true for almost any substance/teaching/appearance in all six realms!

Btw, I feel it's important to make a distinction between sativa, which stimulates awareness, vs indica, which tends to be dulling….very different plants, and should not be indiscriminately lumped together!

16. chicago fsbo says:

All in all, I like her. Yes, I think she is dramatic at times, but it seems like everyday communication includes a little showmanship to convery your message. I’ll tell you, she seems to have a great style! I like her!

17. Hi Webmaster, commenters and everybody else !!! The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Keep ‘em coming… you all do such a great job at such Concepts… can’t tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do!

18. Marcos says:

Marijuana and/or some other psychedelic drugs can initially open up your mind and promote some kind of contact with the mystery which is all around us, so people become entranced with it. But the ego is a clever son of a gun and will soon use this as a form of pleasure or pride saying: “see, I can be enlightened doing this and have fun at the same time, I’m so cool” I think it’s another big delusion and completely unnecessary when one meditates regularly, not even talking about dependency and health consequences.

• RobiDon says:

What dependency and health consequences? The human body has its own cannabis system – the endogenous cannabinoid system – which is responsible for maintaining the homeostasis of the body from cells to organs. I would say that all studies which purport that cannabis is harmful are flawed, either methodologically or through outright ideological prejudice. The Dalai Lama says that meditation is fine and necessary, but developing affection and compassion is more important. I think he's alluding to the ego's ability to make even meditation practice into a source of "pleasure or pride."

19. [...] mantra. The big threat to kids? Small businesses boosting state revenue, creating jobs and using locally-grown [...]

20. [...] wondered if it would be possible to actually see the reefer smoke billow up over campus, just moments after everyone on the quad lit [...]

21. [...] tons of drugs and have them on [...]

22. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful information particularly the last part :) I care for such info much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

23. I do not even know how I ended up right here, but I thought this post used to be great. I do not recognise who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger should you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

24. [...] I’ve written before about how pot is bad for our minds, from a Buddhist pov, I certainly am alllll for it getting further fully legalized. It gets smoked either way, [...]

25. [...] Drugs are lame. Television sucks. Alcohol is overrated and causes accidents. Sex, well…that’s another discussion for a different day. But music…ahhh…music. When winter’s feeling long–inside and out–here are a few songs your heart might need to hear. [...]

26. clear high says:

What a great saint to get advice about a medicine from LOL http://www.elephantjournal.com/2009/09/disturbing-facts-re-trungpa-rinpoche-on-wikipedia/

Whenever people say “marijuana does this…” it is such BS -If a million people report a testimony about a plant…well I may look at their experience…but it may not have anything to do with mine! We are unique and as much as i respect peoples’ opinions and warnings to watch for addictive distractions, there is sooo much factual evidence which has shown that EVERYTHING WE WERE TOLD ABOUT POT WAS 180′ BACKWARDS!

Wake up people out of the shell of dogmatic beliefs and take responsibility for your mind and actions!!!

27. Michael says:

"Buddhism more or less forbids ___."__I did not realize that Buddhism has a definitive list of what shall be allowed and what shall be forbidden. Could you provide a reference to this list? I assume that since it is "Buddhism" that you are referencing and not some individual Buddhist, that this will be a list that is accepted and regarded as authoritative by all Buddhists (including, I guess, by me, even though I have never actually heard of the list). If you could post the list that would be great so I can know whether I am on the outs or not. _

• Jenny says:

While I don't necessarily agree with the "forbidding" of pot by anyone, I have studied the teachings of the Buddha and monks are certainly told not to do things and certainly in many Buddhist traditions any substance that alters the mind is "discouraged".
      However most "lay Buddhists" have a more lenient view towards using alcohol and marijuana in moderation.
      One of the things I like about Buddhism is that one is allowed to find one's own way as long as one is on a path towards bettering oneself.
      And as far as I know the Buddha never specifically spoke about marijuana.

28. [...] It’s all about peace (good), and zoning out (not so good). In any case, it’s far chillller and less aggression-or-accident-inducing than alcohol or [...]

29. [...] It’s all about peace (good), and zoning out (not so good). In any case, it’s far chillller and less aggression-or-accident-inducing than alcohol or drugs, [...]

30. [...] zero work or digging. It’s not true. It’s not honest. ‘Cause as much as I love you, I’ve gotta learn how to love and stay connected to the unadulterated, direct line, the line of and through myself, my soul , the only tool I was born with for that [...]

31. Colin says:

mind —> sense contact —> + feeling —-> craving —> rebecoming (recurring states of mind affected by said craving) etc. You cant really be happy while craving for anything. Not because its immoral or anything but because these cravings will prevent meditative absorbsion required to attain 1st thru 4th jhana. Cannabis, food, power, wealth, sex, all roots for craving and attachment. That requires eliminating (relinquishing, putting down) all attachments and basically going off in seclusion to meditate. That's my take on it anyways.

32. Gesar Mukpo says:

The self deception of thinking you got the message is far more problematic these days then your addiction of choice. Especially coming from the point of view of a sangha rife with alcoholics as the reference point.

Drugs cloud perception but so does ignorance. It trivial to say smoking marijuana is bad when you are steeped in a tradition that alleges to allow you the quick path to enlightenment while dancing in samsara and embracing it.

I think like anything if we are to be as arrogant as we are in thinking we embody the fast method as foe-destroyers and thinking we know what needs to be stripped for clear perception we are bordering on extreme hubris. In my years I have seen many partitioners who think they have experienced enlightened mind through basic tantric practices. It’s like an intellectually un-complex Buddhist take on Tony Robbins but that self empowerment leads to thinking they are special. It’s a case of missing the point.

I’m saying a fair amount here because I have a point, addiction in any form is bad; but I’d rather be addicted to weed then my own self image as a follower of the one path. For me tantra werma all of that is very dangerous, and from my point of view badly abused.

As far as I’m concerned from now on no one from Shambhala can say anything derogatory about marijuana usage until they address the problem of alcoholism resounding within their own ranks.

33. Baracas says:

This judgement is irrelevant- smoke or do not smoke- both are appearances to mind- watching TV or not watching TV- anything can cause delusion or not- there is no inherent marijuana smoke- judgement of what is and what is not forbidden is obstruction to omnisciene- if an individual generates virtuous actions, kindness, compassion without harm to sentient beings no matter what they watch or inhale this is correct path- Buddhism is not a rigid path of dogma and orthodoxy- dont get lost in your own righteousness and deluded pride about what is right and what is wrong- it is all ultimately emptiness- Love and be Kind to all beings reaponsibly…

34. RobiDon says:

Much as I love Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, it is hypocritical for him to condemn cannabis use when he used alcohol. Also, there is a definite difference between alcohol and cannabis re the human body. As we now know, the human body has its own cannabis system – the endogenous cannabinoid system – which functions to maintain homeostasis in the body. In this regard, alcohol is but a toxic interloper. I consider cannabis to be the major plant ally which facilitated my developing my mindfulness meditation practice. I have participated in 10 day Vipassana meditation courses where I didn't smoke cannabis. Now that I meditate on a more or less daily basis, I have less use for cannabis. Perhaps what is being said is that meditation is the royal road to enlightenment – the development of compassion, discernment, equanimity, and social involvement, while cannabis is a plebeian precursor. However, as in all things dealing with class and privilege (and the Siddhartha was a Prince, remember) we need to be careful to avoid being elitist.

35. Torsteld says:

Agreed very much with Baracas.

One is guided by the Eightfold path. But, in the end, one must find their own way. This may contain some smoke, this may contain no smoke. Everyone has their own path, and though they may intertwine, they are not the same. What works for some is not always the path of others. Do not be too critical on the self about any misgivings you have towards your actions along your path. It is a long journey, and one will find them places they did not expect. That doesn't mean it's bad, wrong, evil, whatever.

Follow your path with a kind heart and a wise mind, and one will find their way. It might be a way filled with marijuana smoke or maybe none at all, only you will know.

Peace, love, and blessings of life.

Torsteld

36. MJPatient says:

I'm a student of the Buddha but not really a Buddhist.
    I use it medicinally to help me sleep mostly by reducing inflammation in my bad shoulder.
    For me it is like life: sometimes good, sometimes bad, and everything in between.
    I understand that hard core Buddhists may want to remain pure. But for most people it's a good way to relax, to enjoy, and to see things differently. Sometimes it helps me see important truths that I would otherwise miss. Sometimes it helps me really appreciate things.
    Could I do without it?
    No doubt.
    But I see no reason to.
    To each his own.
    No big deal either way as far as I can see.

37. Walter Logue says:

I have entertained many conversations about Buddhism and marijuana; This particular sangha and marijuana; Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoches feelings about marijuana…. I certainly am familiar with the popular topics of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s party and buring the marijuana in the fire: “burning deception” or some such words being chanted during the ritualistic divorce from ‘grass’ amongst the long hairs, pygmies and hippies of that particular generation.

It is a very interesting topic and I thank you muchly for bringing it up in this forum, Waylon!!

I certainly have mixed feelings about the topic.

In terms of actions, I have definitely smoked grass in the past few years – excesssively at times, though none since about 2009. Truth is, I would probably still smoke occassionally if not for the job markets that I frequent.

I am a “buddhist” though I do not believe that the “religion” has anything to do with the question of ‘to toke or not to toke’.

I know that many of my teachers have expressed similar concerns about Marijuana. On some level I suppose people might say that this should be the end of the debate in my heart – my teachers have expressed concerns about grass so that should be a clear beacon to me as to how to relate to it in my own life, but it is not quite so clear to me.

SOME Buddhists

“Dont kill”.

Not anything, not for any justifiable reason other than to fulfill the actions of the 4th karma.

SOME Buddhists do not employ someone to kill for them. Never, not any sentient beings, not for any justifiable reasons…

No Lying, Stealing, Sexual Misconduct, Intoxicants to the point of inebriation…

SOME Buddhists.

I LOVE and CHERISH the fact that there are boundaries and the fact that there are conduct guidelines and teacher disciple instructions.

These are extremely important (in fact necessary) on the path of any genuine tradition.

If your teacher specifically tells you not to smoke marijuana then I think that is clear and accurate and should be observed at the cost of ones life.

If your teacher told your best friend to stop smoking marijuana, I think it would be helpful for you to help remind your best friend as needed, gently

>>if they asked you to help them with this instruction…

but that does not mean you should stop smoking marijuana just because your friend was told this.

This path is about our own particular ideation and our own particular karma in this particular life.

Your best friend cannot walk the path for you, nor you for them.

Moral of story: Ask your own teacher.

If you do not have a genuine teacher that you have asked to guide you on your path yet – then maybe that is the more important question to examine first.

38. mary says:

The Buddha said 'no intoxicants' isn't that fairly clear?

39. Finly says:

I've been smoking regularly for 4 decades. Never more than a few tokes at a time. Maybe a few times a week. It breaks the spell of the conditioned mind. Expansion happens. Creativity happens. Meditation happens. Appreciation and Gratitude happens. I say that ANYTHING can be abused or used. To each his/her own. We are all unique Beings on our individual and collective journeys. Stop with the "Yes, it's good. No it's bad". Some day We will All begin to see beyond labeling everything as "good" and "bad". See what's true for You. Namaste.

40. Clifford says:

I don't think there is anything explicitly forbidden in Buddhism. I do understand there are five aspirations: I undertake to train myself not to harm or kill. I undertake to train myself not to take that which is not freely given. I undertake to train myself not to engage in unwholesome speech. I undertake to train myself not to engage in sexual/sensual misconduct. I undertake to train myself not to partake of intoxicants that cloud the mind.
    Though I am not there yet, I would understand that as one acquires insight the use of such substances may be voluntarily limited as not being helpful. Notably, One teacher has described "pigging out" on sugar as an experiment, and his experience that the effect was to make mindfulness and awareness of energy very difficult, if not impossible! Again, though I am not there yet, I understand that when one is further along the path to awakening judgement of both oneself and of others is replaced by an incredible compassion. Perhaps these insights passed along by lamas I have had the great fortune to encounter may be helpful to the discussion?

41. Kai says:

There is a big issue with saying anything is from a "Buddhist" point of view, like all these articles are doing. This is assuming that Buddhism is a monolithic entity, and this viewpoint can represent everyone who identifies as Buddhist. Buddhism is vast and cannot be essentialized; the same applies for Buddhists, Christians, Jews, yogis, etc.

42. Mark Mullen says:

Seems hypocritical for Trungpa….a well known, admitted, and profligate boozer….to be down on a vice that i less harmful than his own. There are plenty of Buddhist who would have made good examples. Whether it is drugs or lovers or coffee, looking for happiness among the Ten Thousand Things is a fool’s errand, an affliction, and a….the….major cause of suffering.

43. Walter Logue says:

Marijuana, tobacco, incense in enclosed spaces, excessive amounts of juniper smoke being inhaled from a lhasang ceremony… All of these are SMOKE and ALL of these are said to carry a risk to the subtle channels of our body.

Smoke in the nadis can be problematic for the practitioner.

In the yoga practices related to Nadi, Prana and Bindu, there are specific instructions surrounding SMOKE and getting SMOKE into the channels of ones subtle body.

This can cause difficulties for the practitioners.

SMOKING anything, by inhaling it into ones body makes it more likely that it can enter into the channels and create problems in our practice.

There have been many commentaries about this in the teachings I have studied, it is true.

I am in no ways suggesting that this is an unimportant topic and I truly believe that there are many profound masters whose teachings on this subject are extremely helpful and important.

In terms of ones’ path however, this is a PERSONAL issue and one that should be related to very personally.

Generic answers will not be very helpful for us if we do not see their application in our own lives and in our own world.

o say that this school teaches that this should be avoided or that school supports this notion is very helpful as a guideline but it is not very helpful as a dogma.

As I say above, the teachings on killing are very clear from Buddha. They do not include the notion that it is okay to kill flies and ants and cockroaches.

Is there some exception made for slaughtering cows and chickens? Does this mean that entire societies of peoples should just starve to death because there are no available plants for nourishment to sustain life? Does this sound like a good instruction from a competent teacher as a means of traversing the path?

Obviously not.

As with most instructions on the path of dharma, one should take them to heart, take them for a test drive, kick the tires, do a few wheelies and check the handling… as it were… and if there are questions about an instruction then we should >>>ask our teacher<<<

This is one of the many reasons for having a personal teacher and a KALAYANAMITRA or spiritual friend on the path.

There is no generic answer among the 108000 dharmas.

Or, that is how I feel about it anyway!

love and stuff!!

44. emilyo says:

Strictly speaking of health consequences, is "smoking" pot bad for you if you don't smoke it but instead VAPORIZE it? There is no burning or smoking, only heating up to release the chemical. What do you think?

45. More is the treasure of the Law than gems;
    Sweeter than comb its sweetness: its delights
    Delightful past compare. Thereby to live
    Hear the Five Rules aright:

Kill not- for pity’s sake and lest ye slay
    the meanest thing upon its upward way.

Give freely and receive, but take from none
    by greed, or force or fraud, what is his own

Bear not false witness, slander not, nor lie;
    Truth (Dharma) is the speech of inward purity.

Shun drugs and drinks which work the wit abuse:
    Clear minds, clean bodies, need no Soma juice.

Touch not thy neighbor’s wife, neither commit
    Sins of he flesh unlawful and unfit.

Such is the Law which moves to righteousness,
    Which none at last can turn aside or stay:
    The heart of it is Love, the end of it
    Is Peace and Consummation Sweet. Obey!

46. Carl says:

W,
    You are such a Dharma brat!!!!…If ingested and used as a life enhancement, that interacts with our very own endo-cannabiniod system, it has the potential to unlock more of the mind, and act as a preventative medicine and healer for all sorts of debilitating diseases, not to name drop but – CANCER – HIV – PTSD – PARKINSONS…..and the list goes on.

Sure it has a pleasure element and I mean this next statement from the bottom of my open heart but so does meditation, yoga, physical activity, sex, deep focus, achievement. All these stimulate the mind and react with its chemical balance…whats so wrong with considering cannabis sativa as you would a yerba mate or cup of joe that you love so dearly?…no comparison in a truly free world.

47. Turiya Hill says:

I have yet to meet any one who smokes marijuana regularly and is able to maintain the constancy of a daily meditation ( 1 hour ) practice….