8 Slogans for Kitchen Practice, by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

Via on Jul 30, 2010

Buddhist Kitchen Sink Wisdom.

I snapped this photo in Marpa House, a Buddhist community home in Boulder, Colorado, the other day. It was good to see these slogans, again—I’d grown up reciting them before prep cook duty at Karme Choling, a rural meditation center in Barnet, Vermont.

Explanation of “this food is prepared as an offering to the three jewels.” The Three Jewels are one’s teacher or inspiration, the teachings of Dharma or truth, and one’s community (sangha). The idea is that food is prepared not so that we can eat yummy food, merely, but so that we can be strong, healthy, and celebrate life so that we can help others do the same, and be of benefit to our community and the world generally.

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Waylon Lewis

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

7 Responses to “8 Slogans for Kitchen Practice, by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche.”

1. YogiOne says:

That is really cool. Thanks.

2. ARCreated says:

sounds like life practice to me :)

3. [...] excerpt from something I wrote about Karme Choling: I lived at Karme Choling for four point five years. First year I hated it, ’cause it’s all [...]

4. Bodil says:

I have been silently "bitching" over my household chores lately, moved into a larger house, a new family situation with kids involved, and I am the one who works less outside so I get to do all the washing, shopping, cooking and ironing. There are many moments of mindfulness and absolute presence, energy and satisfaction from the doing and sharing and getting it done… this takes away all the ideas about how boring this is, but then there are other moments where I cry in rage and despair that I am stuck with these stupid chores – for the rest of my life??

This is the panic of growing up, I know. Still, I need to vent this and ask for some compassionate advice.

Anyone??

• shellm says:

Be of service is all I can think of…. what do you dream of doing some day? Dream it and live it … but there will always be chores. If you do it with love, it will make sense.

• Ellen says:

Try to remember that nothing is permanent, the kids will grow older and can then participate in chores, your outside work load may increase and someone will have to step in, you can negotiate for some relief – less outside work should not mean ALL the chores. And you can always lower your standards – sometimes we expect too much of ourselves! For a start, ditch the ironing unless it is something you love. Only wear clothing that needs no ironing or pay someone to do it! My mother and mother-in-law spent hours ironing – my iron is used for pressing seams when I sew. Period. Make healthy but easy meals most of the time – save elaborate for special occasions. Name the dust bunnies. And vent as needed – housekeeping is the job that never ends. But it does change…

5. Bodil says:

Well who cares how smart you are Mike, you are very sweet and got the right words through :-)