Yoga + Advertising.

Via on Jul 18, 2010

Yoga + Advertising =

Elegant. Beautiful. Not Green. Not Fair Labor. Practical. Cute. It’s yoga + advertising:

This is yoga, on capitalism.

It’s neither here nor there. It’s a bit of both.

For awesome effective advertising, here.

About Waylon Lewis

If you liked this, you might like these:

19 Responses to “Yoga + Advertising.”

1. candice says:

Yep, Elephant, you've cemented it: I think American Apparel is pretty despicable.

2. Aron says:

So judgmental. Nothing wrong with sex and using to to sell products is logical. I think these ad are amusing.
    Oh no the sacred cow yoga is being commercialized. Come on, ever yoga studio and even elephant does the same thing. Just because they use more 'pure' marketing tactics does not mean they are not selling something.
    In this case its apparently the right to feel self righteous.

• elephantjournal says:

Well, thanks for that Aron. Not sure I was saying anything was bad about the above. As I did say, if you read it: "It’s neither here nor there. It’s a bit of both." Some of those ads are super cool, innovative, creative. Some I do think go a bit over the line.

In any case, if we have the right to feel self righteous as you so charmingly put it, can we share your right to anonymously insult others? Sounds like an easy way to…feel self-righteous.

3. Katy says:

That's why LULULEMON's most recent advertising and overall brand is so unique. Check it out. http://katymooney.com/_blog/moonShine/post/Lulule

4. Barbara Bhavani Cooper
    Yikes…What would Patanjali think of the bastardization of this ideology? You know there's something wrong with this picture when yoga clothing goes for $50 and up per article of clothing..it's freaky…it ain't about the stuff….

Jessie Fletcher
    Is American Apparel marketing to women or men? It doesn't make me want to run out and get anything from them!

David McKinney
    beautiful

Tricia Ptak
    If I see one more tree pose or windmill on a product I may scream!

Laura Uchuck Howell
    Blah

Barbara, not sure, great question, but I don't think India is particularly anti-Capitalism, anti-making-money, historically. But Patanjali, Buddha, they knew what was important, that's for sure. Still, after the Buddha starved himself and all he realized he needed to treat himself right, eat, sit on a cushion instead of the bare ground…there's nothing inherently wrong with fashion, celebrating life, style, making a living.

5. Andrew says:

It's kind of like how Esquire or GQ is loaded with incredibly homoerotic models selling mens fashion.

6. ARCreated says:

I love that ever time I read a commentary someone says something about how if they are marketing to women why they use "sex"…it's only "sex" to men viewing it….for women those images are a fear based campaign…it's never about the "sex" — it's about belonging and being accepted and loved.
    Advertising is FEAR based…if you don't use our toothpaste and your teeth aren't white enough… you will be unloved. If you want to be cool and fit in drink our beer. IF you want men to want you wear are perfume, if you want women like this to want you wear this cologne…FEAR
    It's pretty cool the way it's set up…men are by nature more visually stimulated so you show "pretty girl" and their interest is piqued, women are more socially motivated sooooo you show "you don't look like this" and women flock to that which they think will "fix" them….I don't see "sex" I see self esteem issues waiting to happen.
    When the average straight woman clicks on a picture of a hot woman she does so out of desire to BE her not HAVE her…to get the attention and adulation that person gets…

• Yogini33# says:

Of course, it could backfire, women young enough could decide to DIY the styles, turn lesbo or bi temporarily (all those media images have to have an effect on some) after a while (and not buy,buy buy)… and the sex purveyors in advertising will move on to the next big thing … Zumba, anyone? … it's got the posteriors and the rhythm ….

7. Ashley says:

Tara Stiles annoys me. Trying to sell yoga with her perfectly naturally skinny body, and here she is modeling for despicable American Apparel. Go live in an ashram already.

• Yogini33# says:

She's a sell-out and doesn't even know it. But her husband, Michael Taylor has the real deal going for him, spiritually, for the both of them. The Deepak Chopra connection I don't understand. May never understand it.

• elephantjournal says:

I know her a bit and while we've had our debates, I like her immensely. I think she's not a sell-out—she never bought into yoga as a traditionally spiritual path in the first place. She's more about offering the benefits of yoga to the masses, making accessible, hip, fun. ~ Waylon

8. [...] if any businesses would actually fail. There would be very little (or no) need for brand strategy, marketing or advertising. If it were that simple we would never have to say, “location, location, [...]

9. Was actually doing a search and came across this site. Must say that this article is on point! Keep up the good info. I will be following your posts

10. Ashley says:

Tara Stiles and Kathryn Budig are celebrities that just happen to practice yoga. They both did an article for Pop Sugar saying people should buy a $220 bra, $350 Robe and Life Coaching lessons. There are so many people in the world in need of basic nutrition and shelter. How can they be what is celebrated in yoga?

11. K Sequoia says: