10,000 Steps to Help Feed the Hungry – 5K/8K Walk
World Food Day – Saturday, October 16th, 2010 • 10:00 am
South Mountain Reservation, South Orange, NJ
Walk to be led by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi
Can’t walk with us? Walk where you are!
1 billion people live in chronic hunger.
Two children die of hunger every minute.
Let’s not just sit — take 10,000 steps to support this cause.
10,000 steps is about what it takes to walk 5 miles (8 kilometers). If just 100 of us walk, that will be 1 million steps for the welfare of the hungry. We will indeed be walking in the compassionate footprints of the Buddha and all great sages.
Live too far away to walk with us?
Walk where you are — anywhere in the world!
Walk alone or with a small group* of friends and be with us in spirit.
So go ahead and create a fundraising page for yourself, a team, or your sangha to raise funds for BGR hunger relief projects.
RAIN DATE: October 17th
YOU MUST REGISTER TO WALK AND/OR FUNDRAISE.
(See Getting Started section below.)
To sponsor Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s walk go to his Fundraising Page.
For Walk Details go to the Walk Event Blog (under Resources to right):
– Train schedule from Manhattan (36 min. ride from Penn Station)
– Driving directions
– Walk guidelines
– Ride share…please car pool if you can! (give a ride, get a ride)
– Inquiries, etc.
All proceeds go to BGR hunger relief projects in the U.S., Asia, and Africa. To learn more about the types of hunger relief projects that you will support go to the BGR website: www.buddhistglobalrelief.org
* We recommend that if you are not walking at the main Walk Event that you walk in a small group. Walking in a larger group requires that you attain a permit, insurance, etc.
Getting Started on FirstGiving
Getting started is easy! It only takes a few minutes to create your online Personal or Team Fundraising Page:
- Click the Get Started button above
- Note that creating a Fundraising Page is a separate action from Registering for the Event
- Customize the text and the photo on your Personal or Team Fundraising Page to express your passions and purpose
- Send a link out to your friends, family, colleagues — anyone you think will help you reach your goal
- Include the link in your email signature line
- Add the link to your myspace, facebook, or twitter page. The possibilities are endless!BGR provides grants to relief organizations, primarily local ones, working in third world communities to provide emergency food relief and to meet the need for clean water, education, and supporting infrastructure.We respect the people whom we serve, as well as their customs, beliefs, and traditions. We treat them as partners in achieving the aims of our programs and seek to make them strong, independent, and self-sufficient.About Buddhist Global ReliefView videos on YouTube
Not into walking? Support the cause in other ways:
– Share this page with others
– Simply fundraise
– Sponsor a friend
– Volunteer at the event
– Share what you know about the huge hunger problem
– Get informed about hunger
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. The Day I Stopped Running.