The New Anti-Muslim Wave, Eid al Fitr, and 9/11 – What Will YOU Do?

Via
on Sep 8, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Crazy fact:
The Jewish Holy Days move from year to year, the Muslim Holy Days move, and 9/11, of course, stays right where it is.
This year:
Rosh Hashanah: September 9, 2010
Eid al Fitr (the three-day feast/celebration at the end of Ramadan): September 10, 2010
And, 9/11.
Interesting line-up.

And a very frightening one for the Muslim community in the US. Especially with the Park 51 situation being what it is.

For Muslims, the end of the holy month of Ramadan is typically cause for celebration, with three days of feasting and socializing after a month of daytime fasting.

This year, though, many American Muslims are greeting Ramadan’s end with a measure of worry, as the holiday coincides with the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations is doing what it can to counter the Park 51-inspired inspired wave of hatred, blame, and violence, it’s not enough. As we stand idly by, American Muslims are once again* the target of hate crimes across the country.

The following is current – and furthermore, linked through out the article above, if you would choose to click through.

Four news stories from the CURRENT wave:

UPDATE: Holley teens charged with targeting mosque

CARLTON — A Holley teen-ager was charged with a felony count of criminal possession of a weapon after allegedly firing a shotgun outside a mosque in Waterport on Monday night.

Racial slur and profanity spray-painted on mosque

Abdus Miah, a member of the mosque, is also a city Alderman.

“I thought… maybe somebody hates us.  I was thinking that way.  Or something like that.  I don’t know.  We never faced any kind of problem after 9-11.  This is the first time,” said Miah.

Opponents of the Murfreesboro mosque say it’s not about religion. Their Muslim neighbors aren’t buying it.

An excavating crew broke ground on the site Aug. 20, 12 days after the Rutherford County Planning Commission provided final clearance. Pre-construction here has already begun — or at least it had, before an arsonist (or -ists) doused four excavators in accelerant and lit one on fire on Aug. 28.

Muslims in America increasingly alienated as hatred grows in Bible belt

On the anniversary of 9/11, Chris McGreal reports from the Tennessee town where Muslims have lived in harmony with Christians for decades – but where they now feel under threat

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

– Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

Are you for against religious tolerance? If you believe in religious freedom, do something. Do something TODAY. Do it now.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Extremist Makeover – Homeland Edition
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

* From 2002, during the first post-9/11 wave of Islamophobia: On August 30, 2002 , an anti-Muslim hate-rape took place in California. An 18 year-old man raped a 15-year old girl inside a Palo Alto Longs Drugs store while making anti-Muslim comments, according to the Palo Alto Police Department.

About Lasara Allen

Lasara is wife to her true love, and mother to two amazing young women. She’s also a best-selling author, an educator, and an activist. Lasara’s first book, the bestselling Sexy Witch (nonfiction, Llewellyn Worldwide), was published in 2005 under the name LaSara FireFox. As of 3/6/2012, after a coaching sabbatical, Lasara has openings for three three-week, individual, personally tailored coaching and mentoring programs. She also has slots in a cohort-model group coaching program available for a limited amount of time. Lasara is available for one-session commitments as well. Make whatever commitment feels best for you. Lasara offers individual coaching on topics such as; * Mental and Physical Health and Wellness - accepting your diagnosis (or that of a loved one) - learning to live with awareness of strengths and vulnerabilities - Learning to live gracefully within your spectrum of the possible * Mindful Relationships - self as primary partner - loving partnerships, friendships and connections - marriages - parenting - family * Spiritual Contemplation and Alignment - Entering into and committing to your spiritual inquiry - Learning to listen to listen for and hear the divine in your life - Inquiring into the role that faith may play in informing your path - The role of meditation, contemplation, and prayer in your practice For more information and endorsements, visit: http://lasaraallen.com/about-lasara/coaching-services/

Comments

32 Responses to “The New Anti-Muslim Wave, Eid al Fitr, and 9/11 – What Will YOU Do?”

1. Randi Young says:

Thank you, Lasara, for yet another great eye-opener! I'm an animist, and I personally am still petrified of what will happen at the Eid gatherings across the nation. I don't mean to sound like a downer, but I feel that someone is going to do something unthinking and hateful. I just have some …seriously paranoid vibes right now about this. It scares me so much for the Muslim community to be stereotyped as they have these past 9 years. This is a recipe for disaster, and too many ignorant people are already angry at Islam as a whole. My thoughts, prayers, and support go out to all the wonderful peaceful Muslims that help make this country what it is.

2. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

And a Church in America is having a Koran burning day – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-1122345

3. Rachel says:

"Or how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me cast out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote that is in thy brother's eye." LUKE 6:41-42

I am writing, I am talking to people, and I am praying; doing what I can and believing that people are capable of great good when moved to it.

4. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

Indeed. And I feel powerless, too. All I could do was write this article. And start discussions about it on facebook. And learn more about Islams in America myself.

But all of that is a start. Now, one foot in front of the other.

Perhaps I'll wear hijab for the three days of Eid al Fitr, in solidarity with my Muslim sisters and brothers.

5. West says:

I’ve tried to track down further information on the alleged “wave of hatred, blame and violence” starting (and seemingly ending) with the rape referenced by the author above.

According to the website she linked, the incident occurred in 2002 — If it did occur, a single incident nearly a decade ago is a crime wave?

Unfortunately, the site she referenced is …less than trustworthy. It is certainly not referenceable in respectable publishing, without independent corroboration.

Nonetheless in good faith, I’ve attempted to verify the allegation in local, or national news sources. I cannot. Perhaps my google-fu is weak, or perhaps its a nonsense allegation.

At minimum, it would appear that this is a biased source presenting an unverifiable incident — barring further revalations to the contrary, the author should do FAR better work fact-checking before publishing. Or did she fact-check at all?

Further, IF that incident occurred, it does not suffice in the slightest to verify her allegation of a “crime wave”.

Such inflammatory language deserve facts behind it — again, the author fails to deliver such in this article, and the publisher should reconsider the value or detriment she is bringing to the national debate with this quality of work.

My review: maybe llewellen material, but not ready for prime time. If this was the work of one of my graduate students, I’d send it back in a flash.

Elephant Journal: THIS is your best work?

6. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

Two resources on Islamophobia:

There is much more information available. Seek it out, if you're curious.

7. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

"The reality of Islamophobia in America:
    There is the world of neoconservative columnists such as The Times' Jonah Goldberg, who in an Aug. 24 column asserted that the anti-Muslim backlash is mainly a myth.

Then there is the world where the rest of us live.

Law enforcement authorities in California classified the vandalism at the Madera Islamic Center in the Central Valley that nearly smashed a window as a hate crime when they discovered signs that read "Wake up America the enemy is here" and "No temple for the god of terrorism." In New York, an intoxicated man forced his way into a mosque in Queens and urinated on several prayer rugs. Michael Enright, a 21-year-old New York film student, is being charged with attempted murder in connection with the stabbing of a Muslim cab driver. The act has been classified as a hate crime."

8. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

How 9/11 happened to all of us:

READ THIS:
    "Muslims and Islam Were Part of Twin Towers’ Life

Leaping down the stairs on Sept. 11, 2001, when he had been installing ceiling speakers for a reinsurance company on the 49th floor, Mr. Abdus-Salaam had a brief, panicked thought. He didn’t see any of the Muslims he recognized from the prayer room. Where were they? Had they managed to evacuate?

He staggered out to the gathering place at Broadway and Vesey. From that corner, he watched the south tower collapse, to be followed soon by the north one. Somewhere in the smoking, burning mountain of rubble lay whatever remained of the prayer room, and also of some of the Muslims who had used it.

Given the vitriolic opposition now to the proposal to build a Muslim community center two blocks from ground zero, one might say something else has been destroyed: the realization that Muslim people and the Muslim religion were part of the life of the World Trade Center."

There Already Was a Mosque at Ground Zero
    (on the 17th floor.)

9. Leyla says:

What got me in all this discussion in the media was the very real fear that Americans would look at the Eid celebrations as being celebrations of 9/11; I am still having a difficult time wrapping my head around that one. We are nine years down the road, have American Muslims once demonstrated any kind of celebratory measures on 9/11? No they have not so why start now? It is not the date that is being celebrated but the time of year that just happened to fall on that particular date this year.

The beauty about America is that it is a land of diversity – some of the laws are a bit "strange" for me, but then I am not originally from this country, and many Americans may find the laws that I am accustomed to as being "weird" also (like strict gun control and NO right to "bear arms", as an example). But that aside, people who emigrated to America, did so for a new life, a life where they could live freely – under many of the laws of this land. And when they came here, they BECAME AMERICAN, and integrated their religion with their nationality, not to mention those who were born here and are American through and through, or the Americans who converted to Islam (which at current standing is about 20,000 a year).

I saw a report on CNN yesterday concerning 2 individuals, both lost a brother in 9/11. One was in favour of Park51 being built and the other not. What struck me was the discussion that ensued. The one who was not in favour was saying on the one hand that it was not about Muslims or being anti-Muslim, but rather it would be too painful a reminder. But isn't that also saying that it IS about Muslims and in other words, this person is associating Muslims with the death of her brother in 9/11? My immediate question was, what if the attacks were perpetrated by crazed Catholics or Protestants? Would there be such dissent on building a cathedral in the area? I think what is being irrationally associated is the religion with the fanatics who are fanatics first and foremost, and do NOT represent Islam or the true teachings of Islam.

In my opinion, building something like Park51 is a perfect testament to peace and humbleness of the Muslim community. The center is also planned to be a place of information, so that people can venture in and learn about Islam and what it truly stands for. They can have their questions answered. It can be a place where understanding can be accomplished, fears put aside, and light shone. True experience and knowledge of peace in our world, will come when we open our hearts and minds to learning and understanding; because much of hatred is steeped in fear, fear of the unknown and the little known, remove the "curtain" that hides the truth, and illumination will proceed.

These people who continue to propagate hatred towards a religion or a culture, are in no ways better than the fanatics who bred the terrorists who carried out the atrocities of 9/11, and it does not matter what religion they belong to, what colour they are, or what race they are.

10. Sirious Spaid says:

Every day I am alone…
    …except for the good company such as my own personalized faith may keep me in,
    and the chance occasional good company such as I may find myself in every once in while for no more than a couple hours at most.

Countless men and women have fought life-long or even lost their lives right here upon our own native soil throughout our nation's own quite blood-drenched, and STILL oppressively usurious history of struggling to establish and maintain civil rights of all kindness and sanity. However, as a '1st world' nation we're also still lagging far behind other civilized nations in basic mental health services. It is a very basic and 'fundamental' fact that so many of us in this country still struggling to overcome the on-going, quite commonplace daily horrors and interpersonal terrorism of domestic and work-place abuses perpetrated by hundreds of thousands of untreated alcoholics: "You cannot reason with the unreasonable!"

i.e. we either coordinate collaborate and carefully plan with others an intervention involving mental, emotional and PHYSICAL health treatment…or our ONLY OTHER CHOICE is 'let go and let god'.

People who perpetrate such horrendous violence or even the commonplace & WIDELY TOLERATED verbal abuses are not only violating civil rights–weather such 'rights' to human dignity are illegal or no–they are also behaving in an irrational manor which can ONLY quite reasonably be called what it is as aberrantly ignorant 'reactionism':
    i.e. clinically 'socio-pathological'.

Such people are 'a danger to themselves and others'–regardless of their personally professed religious views.

Now, since no one defends me from even being socially shunned by a society which does not even generally have much a grasp upon even it's own prevalent religious moral convictions–let alone being able to place any such poorly educated notions into any more than the most rudimentary historical context??
    NOT EVEN MY FELLOW 'Proud Pagans' who do shun me as well as the rest of those lesser mortals they're so self-satisfied they themselves are better than?????

I am alone, as I say.
    What can I do?
    Not much, personally, if no one will even listen to me because I'm such a "weirdo".
    & there's my 'outta school special' . . . 'two bits' worth in the anti.

Thanks for asking, as always, LaSara
    Goddess Bless you.
    & long live in prosperity of heart+soul, the truely 'free' & 'brave' Americans.

11. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

Thanks, Spaid! As always, well worth the read.

blessings!

12. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

US Institutionalized oppression and mistreatment:

"Extraordinary rendition and irregular rendition are terms used to describe the apprehension and extrajudicial transfer of a person from one state to another.[1] "Torture by proxy" is used by some critics to describe situations in which the United States has transferred suspected terrorists to countries known to practice torture.[2][3][4]

It is alleged that the CIA runs a secret global abduction and internment operation of suspected terrorists, known as “extraordinary rendition”, which since 2001 has captured about 3,000 people and transported them around the world. It has been alleged that torture has been employed with the knowledge or acquiescence of the Governments of the United States and the United Kingdom. Condoleezza Rice, then United States Secretary of State, said in an April 2006 radio interview that the United States does not transfer people to places where it is known they will be tortured.[1][5][6]

The US program prompted several official investigations in Europe into alleged secret detentions and unlawful inter-state transfers involving Council of Europe member states. June 2006 report from the Council of Europe estimated 100 people had been kidnapped by the United States' Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on EU territory (with the cooperation of Council of Europe members), and rendered to other countries, often after having transited through secret detention centers ("black sites") used by the CIA, some sited in Europe. According to the separate European Parliament report of February 2007, the CIA has conducted 1,245 flights, many of them to destinations where suspects could face torture, in violation of article 3 of the United Nations Convention Against Torture.[7] A large majority of the European Union Parliament endorsed the report's conclusion that many member states tolerated illegal actions of the CIA and criticized several European governments and intelligence agencies for their unwillingness to cooperate with the investigation. Within days of his inauguration, President Obama signed an Executive Order opposing rendition torture and establishing a task force to provide recommendations about processes to prevent rendition torture.[8]"

— For citations and more, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendit

13. west says:

Someone’s been hard at work “cleansing” the comments to this (heavily revised) article. …Interesting.

14. Chris Alsina says:

I was just seeking this information for some time. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this kind of informative websites in top of the list. Normally the top sites are full of garbage.