Yoga Teachers Have Their Dream Bodies
Okay, full disclosure: I just said that to get your attention. I’m not going to argue that all yoga teachers always feel great about the way they look. But I will argue that most yoga teachers–and yoga students–have a pretty good relationship with their bodies.
Top 5 Reasons Why Yoga Gives You a Better Body
1. Yoga encourages mindfulness in all areas of life, including while eating. If we’re completely mindful, as in Thich Nhat Hanh mindful, while eating, we can get great pleasure from even the most non-treat-like food. Every bite is savoured and appreciated.
2. Asana helps us learn to be completely aware of our body-mind state of being. This awareness enables us to realize that we’re craving a two-bite chocolate brownie because we’re feeling a bit stressed, not because we’re actually hungry. (Which is not to say we should never eat brownies; let’s just savour every bite so we register the treat, and feel satiated.)
3. Yoga philosophy helps us see the body as the vessel of the soul.
4. Likewise, asana helps us recognize our body as the most powerful tool for peace and strength we’ll ever own.
5. So, with that in mind, are we gonna jam junk in there? Probably not.
Best of all, with this appreciation of our body, when we look in the mirror, we’re a heckuva lot more likely to love what we see–no changes necessary. Which is the whole point, really.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 532 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 9 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,546 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,344 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 751 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,515 share These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,214 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 3,059 shares