Yoga Teachers Have Their Dream Bodies
Okay, full disclosure: I just said that to get your attention. I’m not going to argue that all yoga teachers always feel great about the way they look. But I will argue that most yoga teachers–and yoga students–have a pretty good relationship with their bodies.
Top 5 Reasons Why Yoga Gives You a Better Body
1. Yoga encourages mindfulness in all areas of life, including while eating. If we’re completely mindful, as in Thich Nhat Hanh mindful, while eating, we can get great pleasure from even the most non-treat-like food. Every bite is savoured and appreciated.
2. Asana helps us learn to be completely aware of our body-mind state of being. This awareness enables us to realize that we’re craving a two-bite chocolate brownie because we’re feeling a bit stressed, not because we’re actually hungry. (Which is not to say we should never eat brownies; let’s just savour every bite so we register the treat, and feel satiated.)
3. Yoga philosophy helps us see the body as the vessel of the soul.
4. Likewise, asana helps us recognize our body as the most powerful tool for peace and strength we’ll ever own.
5. So, with that in mind, are we gonna jam junk in there? Probably not.
Best of all, with this appreciation of our body, when we look in the mirror, we’re a heckuva lot more likely to love what we see–no changes necessary. Which is the whole point, really.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 344 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 160 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 364 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 956 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,391 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 499 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 0 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,249 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,493 shares