Spiritual Halloween Costumes.

Via on Oct 25, 2010

Top-10 Halloween costumes for the spiritually-inclined Elephant Journal Reader!

In honor of my favorite holiday, Halloween, I have decided to come up with some last-minute costume ideas which contain a bit of a “spiritual edge.” Enjoy!

10. Yodi. Let the force flow through you as you fall deeper into your favorite yoga pose!

9.  Vegetarian zombie. Just because you’re dead doesn’t mean you have to give up mindfulness! Instead of all of that suffering that is caused by you craving brains, perhaps you should go the healthier route of screaming for graaaaaaaaaaaaains!

8. Innopropriate yoga guy. C’mon! You know him! And it couldn’t be easier to gear up! Just make a stop by American Apparel!

YouTube Preview Image

7. Recycling. For the environmentally conscious of you, why not go as recycling? Add the recycling symbol to the front and you are good to go!

6.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Buddha. You love turtles. You dig Buddha. Who says you have to choose?

5. Chuck E. Jesus. Is it just me or does is sound like they are singing, Chuck E. Jesus! Where a kid can be a kid!

4. Hello Cthulhu. This one would take quite a bit of time but would be worth the effort!

3.  Ahura Mazda. See how many Zorastrians you can find this Halloween season by referencing the highest deity of worship, the God of Truth, Ahura Mazda! Don’t want to wear a beard and carry around a giant ring with wings? No worries! I have your solution right here!

2. Douchisattva, a.k.a, The Locust. You might already have these items in your closet and on your alter! Just remember that this costume is more about attitude than clothing!

And the number one spiritually-based costume is:

Waylon Lewis, founder and editor of Elephant Journal and pimp extraordinaire!

About Blake Wilson

Blake is a law librarian and a member of the Kwan Um School of Zen, sitting with the Kansas Zen Center in Lawrence, Kansas. Blake is way into g33k culture which, as he sees it, easily includes Zen, and is willing to share with you his struggles and observations. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, and kansaszencenter.org.

35 Responses to “Spiritual Halloween Costumes.”

1. Mollie says:

"Pimp extraordinaire." Now Elephant Journal is glorifying the abuse and sale of women's bodies? Excellent. I think I'm going to stop reading you people.

• elephantjournal says:

Because it's so much easier to judge without clicking his link and realize that he wrote an expose of douchey MEN.

2. Yogajunkie says:

sigh…. have a sense of humor people…. seriously…..

• Lanny says:

I don’t know why we can’t have a sense of respect for other peoples religion.

• Mari says:

I hate when people respond, "have a sense of humor" when they do/say/defend something offensive. I have a great sense of humor when things are actually funny and usually not at the expense of "minorities" and the sacred. I read elephant jouranal beacuse it very often addresses issues the "mainstream" doesn't. So, yes, a few of us think a different picture could have represented better and still been funny.

3. Lanny says:

I really wanted to like this but why the disrespect to jesus. I can see why you would be afraid to do that with mohammed so why not the same repect to christians. Major fail.

4. Superbuddha says:

Nice one Mr Wilson.

The Hello Cthulhu is hilarious.

5. Lanny says:

awesome reply

6. Krystal Baugher Krystal Baugher says:

Great post! Vegetarian zombie=hilarious. The #1 was pretty amazing too. Nice work.

7. Blake Wilson Blake says:

Everyone knows that in the end, the Earth goes into a trust, the proceeds of which are to be divided amongst the geeks and the dorks. So technically we won't inherit the Earth, we just get to enjoy in the profits.

• Krystal Baugher Krystal Baugher says:

What's the major difference between being a dork and a geek? I guess I always used the words interchangeably but perhaps I was mistaken in doing so…

• Blake Wilson Blake says:

Glad you asked! Geeks have a specific area (or areas) of interest in which they have an extreme focus and an a-typical amount of knowledge. This can be in anything from comics to sports to Buddhism. A dork, on the other hand, is a socially awkward individual. Some geeks are dorks, it’s true, but they aren’t necessarily the same thing.

• liska says:

Do the geeks even want the Earth? I assumed they'd set their collective sights on distant (possibly fictitious) galaxies, leaving us nerds to eventually reign supreme.

8. Shannon says:

Why is the woman in the sleazy witch costume that isn't even a part of the article the main pic for a piece titled "Spiritual Halloween Costumes"?

• Blake Wilson Blake says:

I was originally going to do different takes on the "sexy" costumes that are so popular. "Sexy Gandhi," "sexy Buddhist," "sexy yogini," etc. but I decided to go with more of a pictorial and didn't want to have to actually make the costumes and take pics. But that's where the "sexy witch" came from. You know… Wiccans…

• HUH says:

Lame.
        advertising 'spirituality' with 'sleazy witch costume' that had nothing to do with the article was pointless and just another way of over-sexualizing women.
        and everything else was mildly amusing.

• catnipkiss says:

the fact is that MANY Halloween costumes are based on this "Sexy" premise. A lot of women (men, too) love to use Halloween as an excuse as their ONE opportunity to be a little sleazy. Sleaze can be fun! And if I had that body you would find me in that witch costume, and maybe more than just one day a year! I do admire that you avoided the Sexy Costume angle and went to the funny one. Maybe I will go out as Yoga-Yoda. And I don't think Jesus would really mind the Chuck E. Cheese costume; he would probably dig it. Jesus is probably a lot cooler than people give him credit for!

• Dan Tanzo says:

Just cause, you read it didnt ya

9. Divine Goddess says:

This was fun. I love the Douchisattva costume, and for the Boulder Douchisattvas I recommend adding a set of bagpipes.
    Most people would get the reference. There's only one bagpiper in Boulder who has taken the boddhisatva vow and is a TOTAL douche. He has the winning combo of cuteness, esoteric charm, immaturity, selfishness (treats women he dates like crap). He has even made claims to be the "King of Douchebags." Compared with all the guys I've dated in the past year, I say he definitely deserves the "honor."

10. littlewing108 says:

Go Kwan Um! Do you know Aly Young?

11. Dan Tanzo says:

Kali
    Face paint -Black +
    Bunch of doll headsds torn from dolls you find in goodwill
    Extra arms from manikin behind goodwill
    various colored clothing again good will
    Swords from various halloween stores
    maybe some red contacts
    and you good to go

12. Kenny Varga says:

that inappropriate yoga guy video was hilarious

13. Tobye Hillier yogi tobye says:

Online hecklers, mmmmmmm.

14. liska says:

Well played.

15. Andy says:

You're also assuming that all pimps are selfish, craven individuals, and all prostitutes put there by desperation and fear. While I will not say that there are no bad relationships between the two, my experience working with the sex community has actually shown quite a few of the opposite.

While I cannot gauge your own experiences with sex workers, I would highly suggest actually knowing some of them before you start categorizing them all as victims. Victimization is as much as loss of agency as actually being forced into prostitution.

16. Ren says:

Love this reply. The first two things I learned about this community: 1. Do not make up facts or you'll get called out, and 2. If you're going to criticize the site in any way, you better make sure you proofread ten times! Of course, then I realized it's a great community but one always notices the drama first. ;P