Sexercise!

Via on Dec 6, 2010

Groupon unleashes your Inner Slut, half-price!

I get a groupon email in my inbox…selling Pole Dancing Classes. it seems…inappropriate. Tacky. So I mention it to Team elephant and…Alex had done it. She’d loved it.

“It’s like Dance Class, only you learn how to Dance on a Pole.” ~ Alex

But isn’t it kinda…degraded?

“No, we did it to Norah Jones.” ~ Alex

Pole Dancing 101…Flirty Girl Fitness…go with your girlfriends…practice your lapdance…it’s great exercise.

And, more importantly, it’s fun!

Ever wanted to watch a bunch of lady-strangers practice their strip-tease? Half-price, buy today!

Too bad Groupon ain’t offering the double-weight Shakeweight…for men.

Or, slightly less hysterically, or perhaps more…for women:

Or, for cartoon children:

Strip Clubbin’ for Suburbanites.

I don’t approve. I catch my future daughter or hypothetical sisters do this, I say hellll no. But Alex is wholesome, well-adjusted…she loved it…she says it’s mostly older ladies in the classes, and assures the curious that you’ll never get a better workout while wearing high heels!

Ohhhh, America, land of the ever-relaxing Morality.

About Waylon Lewis

If you liked this, you might like these:

16 Responses to “Sexercise!”

1. jolinda Van Haren says:

O.k., wait, are you telling me Shake Weights work?

2. Joe Mohr says:

Love the shakeweight SNL commercial :)

3. candicegarrett says:

no matter how many times I see the shakeweight commercial, I can't help but laugh. Every time.

4. Colin Wiseman says:

Ok that doll is quite disgusting and 100% immoral. I was just pinged this link on Facebook:

The second and third review of the Shake Weight are some what amusing!

5. rachel says:

Also, it seems like your happy to watch a woman gyrate, but also willing to judge her for it? Slut is an awful, awful word used by others to judge and degrade.

6. BoulderBabe says:

So wait? Women having FUN with exercising through learning pole-dancing are sluts but at the same time Elephant DEFENDS the degrading pics of women in the American Apparel ads?

And I agree, to have the "author" of this article throwing around the term slut is pretty offensive! Judging a woman's "morality" based on a fitness class and throwing around degrading terms like that do not seem very "enlightened" to me!

7. David says:

I guess this is meant to be humerous, but even if it is it seems rather mean spirited and backward. Slut? Really? Even if these classes were wildly sexual, and I think they probably only are in a juvenile, guilt driven imagination…Sex=shame? Seriously? In 2010? How is this remotely enlightened? I'll begin to pass on this site if this is any indication of things to come.

8. anon. girl says:

Proud slut here, I also minored in women’s studies so I know that you slut-shame is actually anti-feminist. We took back the word CUNT (mostly) so we have to take back the work SLUT too.

As an exotic dancer I can also say that although it is amusing that pole dancing studios are becoming so popular, don’t you dare say the S word in there, because they try REALLY hard (most of them, there are exceptions) to market themselves are erotic-inspired fitness classes. Their moves aren’t even very legit, only newbies do body rolls like that !

I have known some strippers who have taken pole dancing classes, but I and most of my co-workers have learned on the job, which keeps the long withstanding tradition of spinning around a pole upside down naked true to its origins.

so yeah…. pole studios annoy me. One even acted like it was classified information and acted offended when I asked if a particular siliconed bleach blonde with great stripper moves used to be a dancer. Whatever. Call it what it is!

Cool fact: Pole dancing originated in gypsy circuses where the women would dance around the center tent pole to entertain.

9. sarah says:

hi–i don't normally comment, but this really bothered me. the use of the word slut and the overwhelming sense of shaming and judging going on is really gross.
    if you actually want to engage with people about your thoughts on female sexuality and "fun subservience", as you say, then do it first in the writing, not in the comments.
    i understand now, having read your comments on FB, what you're aiming for, but it is really unclear in the piece. the article reads like a three minutes of thoughtless disapproval. i want more content, less one liners!

apologies if this gets posted like four times, i'm having problems submitting.

• Joe Sparks says:

It appears that almost everyone has been badly hurt in the area of sex. Sex is not as important as it is made to seem. However, capitalist societies manipulate people to keep them preoccupied with sex, to keep them feeling bad about themselves. It's partly because of sexism, you can be a cute little girl longer than you can be a cute little boy. Boys are supposed to be little men very soon, which means that they don't have much physical contact, so they give up on people close to them. But people actually want to be close forever. It's taken away from us. We don't out grow it. So we become scared and yet fascinated with sex. This frozen fascination makes us unable to think well about sex, or closeness, and some of us get very confused in this area and are not safe to be with. All of us are looking for people to be close to, whom we can relax with, people who are safe enough that we don't have to stand guard but can just relax and lean into them and enjoy being alive together.

10. wnlt says:

so… men in strip clubs is ok isn't immoral but women in an all-female pole dancing class is?

11. [...] Pole dancing is bad enough. But pole-dancing while Pregnant? Via Funny or Die: [...]

12. [...] After writing a few feminist questionings of this new popular middle-American “workout,” I’m a late convert to the notion that pole dancing can be an art. And particularly if you [...]

13. KelsiC says:

I'll have to politely disagree with you too. I think Norah Jones is fabulous and inspiring, and her music is very beautiful. Different strokes!

14. rachel says:

well, personally, feminism taught me not to slut-shame which is what's going on in this article.