The Pub Yogi.

Via on Dec 2, 2010

When the working day is done and it’s time to hit the Yoga class why for some folk is it so much more tempting to hit the pub (or bar) and skip class? There’s a multitude of reasons why but I spoke to one pub-loving Yogi who gave me his reasons—from a sober place I hasten to add. Do any of them ring true with you?

• Getting to the pub requires little effort, the only decisions lie in where to sit, what to drink and who’s buying the next round.

• The pub has its very own relaxed atmosphere—why do we need Yoga for that?

• Regular pint practice, lifting and lowering!! Now that’s Yoga and a great way to strengthen those biceps.

• It’s good to talk and in class you can’t talk or gossip about the latest happenings at work or in your home life, socialising  is the key. The silent persona is a tough one to master and that’s what most Yoga classes require.

• The bar staff always look good, a great form of trataka, beats staring at a candle flame any day.

• Pubs and bars often have a dance floor so get Yoga while you drink! The 2-in-1 option: got to be worth its weight in gold.

• Regular Yoga practice can be boring. At least when you’re in the pub it’s easy to visit the bathroom without feeling guilty, which is certainly not possible in most Yoga classes without others thinking you’re leaving to get out of the tough asanas.

OK! Enough is enough. I can’t sit here and watch this happen, so I need to fight the cause, too much snow in the UK seems to be getting to my head.

Why  does Yoga beat the pub?

• Yoga brings us a sense of peace, love and harmony in the body, mind and soul.

• With Yoga we feel balanced, focused and consistent in what we want to achieve.

• Having a pint might be nice but on a regular basis it simply just isn’t good for the health or much else for that matter.

• Yoga is healthy and healing :)

• Lack of focus attracts the unwanted things in life, bad drink, bad food, bad relationships, bad, bad, bad.

• Yoga, a place in time to just ‘be’.

• Meeting like-minded people is a bonus don’t you think?

In the long run there needs to be a healthy balance, regular Yoga practice and the occasional drinking—not drinking and the occasional Yoga. Let’s hear what you think.

About Indra Singh

Indra Singh loves to write anything from Yoga Articles to Creative Writing works. She is a full time mother and works predominantly in the world of addiction therapy, helping individuals with their journey through recovery by assisting them with Yoga techniques to help support their daily lives. She runs general classes and workshops too and is an experienced Children's Yoga teacher. She's studied Aura Soma, reflexology, aromatherapy and is heavily into flower essences and vibrational healing. She also loves to knit. For more about Indra, visit her website, Facebook or Twitter.

If you liked this, you might like these:

16 Responses to “The Pub Yogi.”

1. LOF says:

and no headache in the morning!

2. AngelaRaines says:

Ha ha, right you are, LOF! And it's hard to get up early for yoga after, um, indulging the night before. I agree–it's about nurturing our healthy drives, while allowing for an occasional vice ;)

3. indrasingh says:

or 2 Angela:)haha!!

4. indrasingh says:

thanks LOF
    no headache
    now why didn't i think of that 1:)

5. indrasingh says:

thanks Alamgir
    true words

6. Alamgir says:

welcome… how about if someone has a pint before or after a yoga class?

7. indrasingh says:

mmm!! defeating the object i think

8. fabwithniceeyes says:

Just wondered have their ever been any alcoholic yogis?
    Yoga seems to bring out something within the individual which helps discipline the bosy and mind… you hardly hear of a yogi/yoga teacher /student saying they will forgo a class/practice/session for drinks down their local

9. david sye says:

Thanks Indra,.. for venturing where most yogis fear to go ,…yoga is not about avoidance but the inclusion of every circumstance,.X

10. indrasingh says:

absolutely David totally agree
    peace X

11. The feeling of being drunk is sort of the opposite of the feeling I have after a 20 minute meditation, and the more I meditate, the more I really dislike the feeling of drunkeness. Alcohol sticks with me for awhile too, and I just don't feel right being even remotely under the influence and trying to do any asana or meditation. And skipping meditation cause I was drinking? I just can't go there very often.

12. Clearly what we need is a Yoga bar so we don't have to make these difficult choices!

Bob W.

13. BrotherRog says:

Yoga detoxifies, but ya gotta have something toxic in ya to detox from in order for that to happen! right? right? : P

14. AlanH says:

All things in moderation. There is nothing wrong with going to a pub, drinking, dancing, and socializing. But if you are doing that instead of doing yoga, or whatever form of physical and spiritual exercise you practice, then you need to reexamine the balance in your life. There are many paths and for most of us the path of the ascetic is not the path for us; that’s ok.

• peter says:

Last night I had A beer. Just one with dinner. I went to bed early. The alarm went off this morning for practice and I was without a doubt moving slow. My realization this morning, I believe I have known all along, Is it is best not to drink at all. One beer is pretty moderate, even still, it interferes. Drag.

15. yogajen says:

1st Wednesday night of the month, we do a "toxins out, toxins in" practice … yoga, followed by fellowship at the local next door. lovely.