Top Twitter Tips for Teaching Twitter Tweeters to Tweet.

Via on Dec 21, 2010

(Say that ten times fast.)

Let’s try something new.  Let’s write a blog post together.  Write your tips or questions about Twitter in the comment section below.  I’ll take the best stuff and copy it into this blog.  Hopefully we’ll end up with a useful guide to Twitter.

I’ll start.  Whenever someone asks me about how to enjoy Twitter, I always tell them:

1) Get Tweetdeck (free Twitter tool at Tweetdeck.com)
2) Set up three columns for “Direct messages”, “Mentions”, and “#yogadork”
3) Start making a “list” of people whose tweets you always want to see and set up a column for that list, too.  (Start with a very small list of people who you care about.)
4) Now you’ve got four columns.  You’re done, except to add more people to your list.  Just check in once in a while to see what’s going on and get a feel for how it works.

(June 28, 2011.  I never followed up on my plan to expand this blog, but no matter.  Read all the great comments below and then read Lauren Foster’s excellent Twitter advice, and you’ll have exactly what I was originally envisioning here anyway.)

About Bob Weisenberg

Bob Weisenberg: Editor, Best of Yoga Philosophy / Former Assoc. Publisher, elephant journal / Author: Yoga Demystified * Bhagavad Gita in a Nutshell * Leadership Is Like Tennis, Not Egyptology / Co-editor: Yoga in America (free eBook) / Creator: Gita Talk: Self-paced Online Seminar / Flamenco guitarist: "Live at Don Quijote" & "American Gypsy" (Free CD's) / Follow Bob on facebook, Twitter, or his main site: Wordpress.

387 views

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

17 Responses to “Top Twitter Tips for Teaching Twitter Tweeters to Tweet.”

1. Bob, great idea! here are my questions, 1)what are the #____ places more likely to reach yogis from around the world? meaning when you type #yoga for example, people who search under yoga are more likely to find it, I wonder what other words after the has are yogis using out there? Also, 2) what is the best time to tweet? What time do you guys out there use for twitting?

One tip I would give is that it is important to add value in twits, I usually like it when there are links that are a)interesting to me and b) have some sort of an intro or something that tells me what the link is about… of course that does not mean that the occassional personality sort of twitt ("enjoying the moon day and resting from my ashtanga practice) (not that I do that), (ok yes I do), is not good, those are fine too, but I suppose it is a good ideat to keep a balance

2. Oh, and by the way, having trouble saying that 10 times fast… will have to practice!

3. yogi tobye says:

I have tweetdeck set up for facebook and linkedin…am I drowning myself in information?

Thanks for the tip on lists… I was wondering how to pick out the chaff so to speak!

4. Hey I just thought of another tip, sometimes links are very loooong… in those cases I use http://bit.ly which is a shortener, the great thing about it is that if you use it you can post directly to Twitter AND it keeps track of how many people click on it

5. Kat Saks says:

Another tip I'd add is to respond to questions! Engaging in conversations will help you find a twitter community and establish relationships that matter to you.

I second all the questions and comments above, though! Thanks for this post, Bob. Looking forward to hearing more!

6. katsaks says:

7. Kaila Colbin says:

5) Don't feel like you have to read every tweet on your list.
    6) Do read and respond to every @reply and DM, as long as they are not spam and not automated.
    7) Do feel free to respond randomly to comments that catch your attention. Someone you don't know tweets their tumor is benign? @reply "What a relief! Happy for you."
    8) Engage in conversation as much as possible. Ask questions, share, pass around. Twitter is a community.

8. Jennifer says:

Can you explain how to use the http://bit.ly to shorten links? Do I just place it before the link I want to copy?

9. Claudia says:

Jennifer, bit.ly is a website where you can type your twit and add the link, and it will shorten the link. It is great so you can talk more, say a few more words and not have the link occupy the whole of your twit! I love it, it also keeps track of how many people clicked on your link. Go to it and you will see http://bit.ly. :-)

10. Kaila Colbin says:

@Jennifer, I'd follow Bob's advice about using Tweetdeck; it will shorten your links automagically as you type :-)

11. elephantjournal says:

Great tips, Bob! ~ Lindsey B.

12. Bj Galvan says:

Thank you for all these great Twips! And.. I just started using Hootsuite for MAC. I had Tweetdeck and it completely crashed on my new MacBk Pro. I did all the deleting, reloaded, etc.. emailed their support, tweeted them for help and NADA.. there were so many other people with the same problem. Without it i felt twitterly challenged, and I am LOVING Hootsuite.. Blessing and thanks for everything.. Also Bob, hows the new Granddrop? Isn’t it amazing!?

• Hi, Bj. Glad you found this useful. Now it's time for me to consolidate all the comments into the blog as planned.

Hootesuite is great, too. I actually use both Tweetdeck and Hootsuite, depending on what I'm doing. They have different strengths.

Grandparenting is wonderful. I recommend it highly.

Bob W.

13. I recently got a Facebook message saying the reader was confused by the columns in Tweetdeck. I explained as follows:

Just think of them as a constant search and that will help you understand it.

For example, in Top Twitter Tips I write:

2) Set up three columns for “Direct messages”, “Mentions”, and “#yogadork”

3) Start making a “list” of people whose tweets you always want to see and set up a column for that list, too. (Start with a very small list of people who you care about.)

4) Now you’ve got four columns. You’re done, except to add more people to your list. Just check in once in a while to see what’s going on and get a feel for how it works.

So the Direct Messages just "searches" for all your private messages and displays them.

"Mention" searches for any tweet that has your Twitter name in it and displays it.

"#yogadork" searches for any tweets in the whole Twitter system that have "#yogadork" in them and displays them. If a someone enters a new one anywhere in the world, that will show up immediately. So #yogadork is simply an online community, started by YogaDork herself, of people who put #yogadork in their Tweets.

Another community, for example is #elej which is all the people interested in what's going on at Elephant Journal.

14. [...] We’ve found the key to be in social media. Read on to discover the way to use Twitter to your full advantage, and check out Top Twitter Tweets for Teaching Twitter Tweeters to Tweet. [...]