I was preparing the derisive jokes before even watching this…but, gotta say, the video converted me pretty well. It looks like fun, it looks like it’d loosen up self-serious yogis, and it looks like it’d do me good on the dance floor and help keep me in good shape.
What is Breakti? (more info on my website)
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED….
Breakti is an effort to create union (yoga) with gravity, music and our collective and individual experiences. We do this by weaving philosophy and specific structural principles of yoga together with music to inform a deeper understanding of our relationship to the floor and to rhythm, ultimately providing a foundation for the more dynamic movement of street dance (i.e. breakin’, house, rocking)
What to expect in class:
• 30-40 minutes of yoga with specific intention and instruction as a warm up and preparation for more dynamic movements that are very much analagous and related to the yoga…
• We take the yoga mats away and throw on our hoodies and long sleeve shirts and dig into the floor. Back spins. Six steps. The physics of balancing on different body parts.
• No experience necessary. At all. Just an open mind and happy feet.
In each part of this series we will focus on a different aspect of the movement. Topics addressed will include:
- Transferring weight and traveling in new ways (outside of walking or running, using hands, shoulders, back, etc.)
- Getting comfortable being on your hands
- How arm balances in yoga translate to freezes and vice versa
- Accessing your core in different positions
Uprocking/Toprocking (upright movement) and Go Downs (transitions to the floor)
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 555 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 10 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,557 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 852 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,683 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,384 share How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,566 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 3,185 shares