Catching Thoughts: Sexyogathon

Via on Feb 7, 2011

Please join me today (Monday morning) at 9:30am Pacific time on my live stream for a Sexyogathon! We’ll be chatting about yoga, doing some yoga, interviewing kickass & sexy yoga teachers Stella Choe and Sachie Alessio-Heath (who will be showing us how to do a couple of their favorite poses) and as we raise money and hit certain marks, I’ll be taking clothing items off my body. The whole point of this is to raise the last $876 that I need for my film project on IndieGoGo that I need to make before the end of the day tomorrow. My short film called “Incredible Girl“, is a sexy look at empowerment. Let’s play!!!!

*GRIN*

Aurora

twitter:  @sexyogathon

YouTube Preview Image

About Celia Aurora de Blas

Celia Aurora de Blas is an Actress, Producer and Yoga Nidra teacher in Los Angeles. By being honest and public about her path in changing herself, she intends to help others by example. "Change is challenging, but it helps when we see others do what we're trying to do. It makes it less scary."

17 Responses to “Catching Thoughts: Sexyogathon”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Celia Aurora de Blas, sexyogathon, Celia Aurora de Blas, LA Yoga Nidra, megan griswold and others. megan griswold said: Catching Thoughts: Sexyogathon: Please join me today (Monday morning) at 9:30am Pacific time on my live stream f… http://bit.ly/dWReD6 [...]

2. i and I says:

This is a joke right? It sure made me laugh as I was crying tears of pity and sorrow. Its good to see that women are still using sex or rather implied and potential, but ultimately unobtainable, sex to sell bad art or anything else for money. Congratulations you are now the greasy low point of contemporary yoga. Enjoy it while it lasts I am sure someone else will come along and pervert the teachings and the essence even more. Stay away from yoga and stay with what your good at, Comedy.

• Katie says:

Yes. What I was about to say, only you said it better. These endless sexathon rockstar kickass yoginis are the antithesis of everything I ever understood as yoga.

3. jdk says:

Wow. Serious? This is the kind of thing one would expect to see going on at Burning Man, but on Elephant? It's just trashy Aurora.

4. Reggie says:

More trivial bs from elephant. What a waste of bandwidth and time this site has become.

5. Jay says:

Wonderful response Aurora…these people that have commented have forgotten: "judge not…and be not judged"…

6. Celia Aurora de Blas Aurora says:

Thank you, I believe that it's sacred too:)

7. Mathieas says:

A friend suggested that I stop by the ‘sexyogathon’, which I did. I had fun, I donated some funds to her film project, and I learned about yoga. Also, while I will likely never practice it myself, I did gain a greater appreciation for both the difficulty and the beauty of the discipline.

I can understand the concerns and sensitivity of some of the negative comments. Clearly, you take yoga very seriously and want others to do so, and something called a ‘sexyogathon’ could easily be cheesy or at worst sleazy. All I can say as someone who watched most of it is that it was very tasteful and that Aurora was both entertaining and informative… a great ambassador for the study of yoga.

Lastly, while I am certain that there are many positive benefits for practicing yoga — increased health and vitality, stress reduction, spiritual awakening — I am confident in stating that at least at first most practice so that they can get a better butt, which to be honest is one of its better marketing points. Stress reduction is great in the abstract, but a great butt looks good on a poster.

Clearly, practicing yoga gives one greater confidence, makes one look sexier, makes one feel sexier, why shy away from that? Showing the potential results does nothing but encourage others to try the discipline.

8. Anamaria says:

Love your answer, Aurora! Love is inclusive. Maybe the people above just have a lot of limiting beliefs about sexuality. They see what is inside of them. Don't take it personally, just keep following your heart.

9. Pamela says:

Jeez, really people got upset about this? That's actually kind of a sad reflection on them. I think the big glasses and the fake English accent should have keyed everyone in that you were, (oh my!) having fun while pursuing your goal.

And God forbid we have any fun in this world. We must be serious. All the time. So there.

Sorry I didn't have time to tune into sexy yoga as I was busy buying facial creme squeezing into a new girdle and getting Bo-tox.

xo,

10. Kai says:

Hmm. It seems with a few choice word adjustments the comments made by the negative spewing peeps could just as easily be turned around on them.
    To i and I:
    This is a joke right? It sure made me laugh as I was crying tears of pity and sorrow. Its good to see that people are still using the anonymity of the internet to hide behind as they spew their unhappiness on the rest of us with their greater than thou sense of heightened awareness and spirituality. Congratulations you are now the greasy low point of contemporary yoga. Enjoy it while it lasts I am sure someone else will come along and pervert the teachings and the essence even more. Stay away from yoga and stay with what your good at, Cynicism and Negativity.
    to jdk
    Wow. Serious? This is the kind of comment one would expect to see going on at PerezHilton.com, but on Elephant? It's just trashy jdk.
    To Reggie
    More trivial bs from ignorant elephant commenters. What a waste of bandwidth and time reading these people's comments has become.

And finally thank you Pamela for lightening things up…that facial creme, girdle and Bo-tox are working for you girl! :)

11. Guy Leisure says:

The problem as I see it is one of context and intention.

She and the other left-handed yogis are taking yoga out of its original and it's proper context. They are using the forms and experiences of yoga for something that is not spiritual practice. They put yoga into mundane and even profane contexts that are inappropriate and irrelevant to the practice. See all the cross pollination going on, yoga and hip hop, yoga and skiing, yoga and burlesque. As my teacher has said, putting material objects on an alter does not make them sacred. It gives them the potential to be sacred. I know that all the Hindu forms associated with yoga are not in our cultural experience so they seem different but they are the forms of the tradition. Just because you take some of the forms into another context does not mean you have taken the tradition or the power of the practice. So in my perspective the Sexyogathing is fine if it was meant to be comedy (I am still not sure if it was). If it was actually meant to be an exploration of yoga, you missed the mark.

The other left-handed violation is clearly one of intention. Yoga is a personal practice for discovering the present moment. Doing a yogic strip tease is not a contemplative practice no matter how much you want it to be. This yoga thon's intention was to make money pure and simple. Let yoga support your life and your creativity from the inside. I think part of the problem is in today's world we only know yoga as a public class in a busy studio. All that action and observation going on. Contemplative practices are usually done in a more personal and focused way.

Western Yoga has unfortunately gone down a very strange rabbit hole and there will be plenty of opportunities for distraction by pretty illusions and petty differences. Try to be someone that holds it together not someone that scatters something beautiful into the muck.

12. Celia Aurora de Blas Aurora says:

I think this discussion really is asking whether you personally believe yoga and business can exist as one. That's a personal choice, because whatever you believe is right as long as you're in alignment with yourself. None of us are wrong.

• Charlotte says:

Yoga and business are not inherently at odds with one another. Business can be conducted in ways that are in agreement with yogic principles such as the yamas. There are many examples of yoga-related and non-yoga-related businesses that have conducted themselves in ethical and uplifting ways.

It's true that it is important to be in alignment with yourself. But it is equally important to be in alignment with what is positive and life-affirming for the community of beings whose lives intersect with ours. Yoga's much talked about union is also a recognition of interconnectedness and the fact that our actions reverberate out in ways we may never know. Saying that none of us are wrong is technically true if we are considering only ourselves, but not true if we consider all those who are affected by our actions. There are many deeply held beliefs that people act upon that cause great harm to others. Simply being aligned with oneself is not enough. I feel that we must consider our actions in the context of how they affect the larger community, whether they uplift or bring down the community at large.

13. Charlotte says:

There is a difference between judging and discernment. All too often, fans of popular yoga dismiss negative comments about what yoga has come to represent in this culture by calling it judging, and by vilifying the messenger instead of listening to what he/she has to say. Yoga does mean union. Deep looking requires that we see and accept all aspects of ourselves. But as my teacher says, the middle way is to neither indulge nor suppress what we see, but to be present to it all it as it comes and goes. What develops from this acceptance is discernment—the ability to see and be with ourselves as we are, and the understanding to know which parts of ourselves are skillful to act upon, and which are not. For me, a sexyogathon is not inherently wrong, but might there be more skillful ways to take our yoga off the mat and into the world?

14. Celia Aurora de Blas Aurora says: