Elephant Meditation Series: Exploring Our Cracks.

Via on Feb 6, 2011
image courtesy of Doniv79

“That shaky vuylnerability contains an element of sadness, but not in the sense of feeling bad about oneself or feeling deprived. Rather, we feel a natural sense of fulness that is tender and sad.”~ Chogyam Trungpa

One of the most amazing talks you will ever hear, courtesy of Brene Brown via TEDX… Enjoy!

YouTube Preview Image

Elephant 365 is an example of Elephant Journal’s commitment to the Mindful Life. Everyday we will offer a new reading regarding meditation practice and the spiritual path, all infused with a fresh perspective on traditional spirituality. If you would like to follow Elephant 365 on FaceBook click here and become a fan of Elephant Meditation by clicking the “Like” tab at the top of the page.

About Benjamin Riggs

Ben Riggs is the director of the Refuge Meditation Group in Shreveport, LA. Ben writes extensively about Buddhist & Christian spirituality and politics for The Good Men Project, Elephant Journal, The Web of Enlightenment, and is the editor & chief for Henry Harbor--an online magazine concerned with art, culture, spirituality, & politics in the deep South. To keep up with all of his work follow him on Facebook or Twitter. Looking for a real bio? Click here to read my story....

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

12 Responses to “Elephant Meditation Series: Exploring Our Cracks.”

1. yogi tobye says:

Thanks for sharing Ben. I loved it!

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Susanne Restemayer and Refuge Meditation, TEDxME. TEDxME said: Exploring Our Cracks. | elephant journal: One of the most amazing talks you will ever hear, courtesy of Brene Br… http://bit.ly/gW4uBp [...]

3. Steve says:

Oh my, Ms Brown captured me from the outset and I was pausing and scribbling notes and epiphanies throughout her speech. To let go of the person I think I should be and just be the person I am…authentic…vulnerable…To practice gratitude and joy, yeah, I'll be meditating on this message for a long time.

4. [...] http://www.elephantjournal.com One of the mos amazing talks ever in the history of speech! [...]

5. Yogi Mat says:

Hmmm… what is the overarching message here? That we can't be strong, coherent , or correct ? We are born, "hardwired" for suffering and imperfection? ANSWER: Lets ALL be lame together? Ms. Brown if this is all you have – this isn't nearly enough.

• BenRiggs says:

Hmmmm… Yogi Mat, did she hardwired for imperfection or hardwired for struggle? Surely you can agree with the basic biological premise that we are hardwired for struggle, no?

It seems to me that you have filled her mouth with your words… She certainly doesn't suggest vulnerability is a form of weakness as you seem to believe… She seems to be saying that we are hardwired for struggle, and therefore have the amazing capacity to put down our guard and listen to suffering, and in doing so discover a remarkable potential that lays beyond what we think about ourselves. Do you agree?

6. Elise says:

Wow! Utterly beautiful. I have previously thought about the necessity of allowing myself to be vulnerable in order to connect with others. I also recognized that in order to feel joy, you must also be able/willing to feel pain. But I never, recognized that so much of our current social discord is a direct result of our inability to be vulnerable and our unwillingness to feel discomfort. Thank you for this.

7. timful says:

That hit so many themes that keep arising in my life. To avoid a little pain I will make up a story that explains it away, like an oyster coats a grain of sand to protect itself from irritation. But, now instead of a tiny grain of sand I have a big story that will keep me from ever changing. I built it to protect myself from fear, but now it protects the fear. I hope I will have the courage to tear down that story, break open that pearl and find it was only after all a tiny grain of sand in there… if I could just show it to her.

8. angie says:

holy cow. thank you!

9. Pamela says:

Life changing simply life changing.

10. Ben Ralston says:

Researcher / storyteller… healer and prophet rolled into one. Thanks for sharing her with us Benjamin!

11. Eric says:

"How can 'it' not know what 'it' is?" ~Rick Deckard, "Blade Runner"

Brava, Brené :)