Has Spirituality Become Like Religion?

Via Nadia Ballas-Ruta
on Feb 22, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Has spirituality lost its way?

A few weeks before I began kindergarten, my father sat me down and proceeded to tell me about how he and my mother came to America.

He went on to explain that they came from two very different religions and that one of the reasons why they came here was because of religious freedom.

He then told me that due to their religious differences, they decided that I should have the freedom to pick whichever religion I wanted to follow. He also told me that all people are equal and that no one faith is superior to another.

Being that my parents gave me a lot of freedom to choose what I wanted to believe, I became fascinated with the concept of religion.

Although my mother was not a devout Catholic, whenever someone that we knew was in trouble, she took me to church and we would light a candle in prayer for whomever was in need of help. I used to love these outings. Entering the church felt like entering a house where you knew you were loved without a doubt. The smell of incense and the whole décor filled my heart with joy.

When one of my friends invited me to go to a synagogue, I jumped at the chance. The joy that I felt in church was the same as when I was sitting in the synagogue. It occurred to me that in both places I had the same feeling; unconditional love was a constant and freely given.

By the time I was in college, my fascination with the Divine had morphed into a sincere love of God. I had no clue what to call myself because every time I read about a different religion, I saw the beauty in it.

This lead to a sense of feeling lost because I never could buy into the belief that one faith was superior to another. Then spirituality entered my life and I thought this was the answer I was looking for.

During most of my twenties and thirties, spirituality reigned supreme in my consciousness. I was a devout follower. I read every spiritual book that I could find. I traveled to India in search of meaning. Eventually, I was initiated into one of the highest Vedanta orders in India and almost took final vows as a nun.

While on the monastic path, we studied every major religion that exists and we studied with the intention of realizing that each faith, although different in some ways, ultimately teaches the same concepts. I loved what I learned and eventually, the time came for me to leave that path because I couldn’t give up on not experiencing marriage.

So I re-entered the world and delved back into spirituality. However, something had changed but I couldn’t put my finger on it. That feeling lasted for nine years. I continued to read spiritual books and talk to people on the path but something just felt off. It was not until last October when I realized what was happening.

Many people condemn religion because it is very rigid and judgmental of those who disagree. Spirituality, initially, was to offer a kinder and gentler alternative to religion. However, that kindness has morphed into a dogma that is becoming very similar to that of its predecessor.

I have seen spirituality focus so much on crystals, chakras, channeling of archangels, and such to the point that the field seems to have totally disregarded the fact that there is some greater force at work here. Some call this force God and others call it The Universe.

In my mind, call it whatever you wish, just recognize that every single thing you do, creates a ripple and that ripple will eventually find its way back to you. Every single faith in the world agrees on that point. Every single faith agrees on the importance of being good and kind.

The similarities between religions are staggering but people focus on the minute differences. Spirituality is doing the same exact thing. Spirituality was initially designed to help people realize that there is more to life than what you see. It was not designed to negate the existence of God or The Universe or whatever term you want to use.

So when did God become a bad word? I have no clue but what I do know is that the Divine is being pushed out of spirituality and that is just sad. It is like pushing Buddha out of Buddhism.

When the focus becomes crystals or when people start to talk about themselves in the third person, it kind of takes away from the beauty of spirituality.

Because of my spiritual experiences and my past, so many people contact me with questions about crystals and channeling and all that stuff. I cringe every single time I receive such a question.

I cringe because that is not spirituality. You can have all the best crystals in the world but if your heart is not rooted in the belief of really being compassionate, no amount of crystals is going to help you find joy or inner peace. If it were that simple, the world would be filled with so many more happier people.

Forgive me if this sounds harsh but please know that I write this all out of love. Do I love God/The Universe? Yes, I do and with every ounce of my being. My love for Buddha is equal to my love for Jesus, Moses, Shiva and every single prophet and true messenger of God that existed. Every single one of those beings was wise and worthy of respect.

Do I think spiritual people are superior to others? No. Some of the most spiritual people I know are atheists. Do I think religious people are superior to others? No.

Religious and spiritual labels mean nothing in my eyes. You can go to church every Sunday or meditate twice a day but if you treat your fellow human being like dirt, then your religious/spiritual actions mean nothing.

What matters more is how you live. Ultimately, every single act and entity on this planet is spiritual at its core. There is no need to give it a special label. It just simply exists.

772 views

About Nadia Ballas-Ruta

Nadia Ballas-Ruta is a former attorney and almost took final vows as a Vedanta nun with the prestigious Ramakrishna Order. She has traveled the world, lived in India and so much more. She currently is working as a freelance writer and photographer. The focus of her work as an artist is to help people recognize their inherent Divinity. She is also a regular contributor at Think Simple Now.

Comments

35 Responses to “Has Spirituality Become Like Religion?”

1. YesuDas says:

Beautiful, Nadia! I am a Third Order Franciscan in the Episcopal Church, and I love Ramakrishna and Vivekananda; I just introduced my book group to "Karma Yoga," and they loved it. People are so either/or, as though both/and were not an option.

I, too, am dismayed at the way people seem to want to be able to self-ID as "spiritual" without being involved with Spirit, acknowledging God, or taking on any kind of moral rigor. Your observations here are like a disclosing tablet for all that, and I thank you.

2. *K* says:

oh my goodness what a lovely post. I had a similar upbringing and spiritual experience and I can't help but wonder at how many people "escaped" religious dogma only to carry their previous habits and judgments into a new realm of practice…very timely and well-written, thank you!

3. Hi K,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. And I loved your observation about how some who "escaped" religious dogma carry it over to other aspects of life. So very true and so very sad. I think many people want to feel good about themselves and so they look to some type of dogma to give them confidence. The irony is that true confidence comes when we can be tolerant and open to those who may see the world a bit differently than us.

4. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nadia Ballas-Ruta, megan griswold. megan griswold said: Has Spirituality Become Like Religion?: Has spirituality lost its way? A few weeks before I began kindergarten, … http://bit.ly/hWWzHB […]

5. Rosemary says:

Hi Nadia, what a beautiful post this is. I very much agree with you that God, The Spirit, Higher Source, The Universe…whatever name we like to put on the essential essence of spirtuaity that is The Divine has no need to come under the banner of a religion… of any name. Having said that I still believe that Jesus, Buddha, Shiva, Allah and all the other messengers of God encompassed The Divine. But we don't need to belong to a religion or some 'brand' to take ownership of our spirituality or to worship God when The Divine lives within every one of us, in each indidivual heart and soul. It's strange that humans still feel the need to form groups and become evangelical…maybe it's a sort of pack instinct hangover from before we got up on our hind legs and became… ahem… individualistic. I love your bottom line Nadia:
    "Live with compassion and try your best to add beauty to the world. That is much more important than what you choose to call yourself."

6. Padma Kadag says:

I know that my comments on EJ, to most, sound as though I am a "Buddhism Cop". I assure you that I am not. My understanding of Buddhism is very limited but there are things said here that, to me anyway, aren't quite right when Buddhism is discussed. So I comment on them. "My love for Buddha is equal to my love for Jesus, Moses, Shiva and every single prophet and true messenger of God that existed." This statement, if I read it correctly, is stating that the Buddha was/is a messenger from god. I understand your idea here but this is an incorrect assumption and assumption it is for there is nothing in any teaching, scripture, or mind of any legitimate Buddhist teacher which could or would support that assumption the the Buddha was sent by god or a particular god or Buddha's teachings were born from a god.

7. AlanHaffa says:

Honestly, I can't comment about the state of "spirituality" because the closest I come to practicing anything like spirituality is meditating in Yoga class. From what you have written, it seems that you are reacting to the commercialization of "spirituality," and the resulting attitude that one can buy it if they just know which crystals to buy or which book to read. Many people I gather turn to spirituality because they reject the organizational and hierarchical structure of organized religion and the accompanying pressure to turn worship into a product as well.
    I think you are probably onto something but it really doesn't surprise me that it has happened and I doubt you can do anything about it. All spiritual movements tend to have these lapses where secular influences take over and then at some point a new "reform" movement comes along to purify the believers. It is just the way of human nature. My advice is to let it go and focus on your own spiritual practice and actions–you can't change what is bothering you and by looking outward in that way all you are doing is disturbing your own sense of spiritual peace.

8. Ramesh says:

:) Funny I never thought there were so many divisions between spirituality and religiosity. Wherever you look, divisions, fragmentations, this and that … people debating vegatarianism, veganism, feeding on fellow sentient beings etc…. one thing I have learned, our ego will find great use of 'spirituality' or whatever label du jour. Our ego also finds great of non-dualism as well. Time to take the garbage out, ALL of it.

9. helene_rose says:

Beautiful! Love this: "You can have all the best crystals in the world but if your heart is not rooted in the belief of really being compassionate, no amount of crystals is going to help you find joy or inner peace."

10. Hi, Nadia.

Thanks for a beautiful article, and for generating a great discussion as well.

As someone with a variety of in-depth experiences with organized religion myself, I can personally relate to what you're saying.

Bob W. Yoga Editor
    (Join Elephant Yoga on Facebook)

11. […] example, I am of the firm belief that all religions are equal. It is really hard for me to think that one road to Divinity is superior to another. Not everyone […]

12. Neeraj says:

The TRUTH will SET you FREE …in LIFE, to be in communion with God, one’s THOUGHTS….WORDS….and…ACTION…must be as one and righteous, then that person is PURE Hearted and TRUTHFUL, however nowadays, people think one thing, say another thing and end up doing something completely different. This attitude is creating a great RIFT, a GREAT GAP between HUMANS and GOD….ponder this…are you one such person?

(basic goal irrespective of religion)

Thank you very much.

Godbless ^^ (love the article, very truthful and commendable)

13. Roger Wolsey says:

Here's an alternative perspective. I'd say that spirituality isn't enough like religion. See: "Spiritual But Not Giving a Damn" http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/03/spiritual-

I offer it as a mirror to gaze upon.

Peace. – Roger