Huffington Post, new media pioneer, sells out.

Via
on Feb 6, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Huffington Post sells out 2 AOL, Arianna now head of Engadget, TechCrunch, Moviefone, MapQuest, Black Voices, PopEater, AOL Music, AOL Latino, AutoBlog, Patch, StyleList. Price? $315 million.

I’ve looked up to Arianna Huffington as a new media pioneer and engaging, fun tireless influencer for years, and been a relatively successful columnist off and on for Huff Post, and have modeled some of elephant’s structure after Huff Post’s…so it’s with sadness that I see Arianna’s unique vision and energy absorbed into a conventional, and failing media company.

Video:

From NY Times:

…the deal carries a risk for The Huffington Post, which has had none of AOL’s troubles and is widely viewed as a business success with its own unique voice and identity. Now that it is to become part of a large corporate entity, what becomes of that unique character is an open question.

For the rest, click over to The New York Times.

More details at Huffington Post, cough, AOL.

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

16 Responses to “Huffington Post, new media pioneer, sells out.”

1. Erin says:

This royally SUCKS!

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis, Waylon Lewis, Waylon Lewis, chathri, cameron burgess and others. cameron burgess said: @huffingtonpost sells to @AOL for $315 million http://bit.ly/eOqs4e & another one bites the dust … […]

3. TamingAuthor says:

You should get money from Soros like she did. Your soul could be put up for sale as well. What the heck. You never thought she was truthful or ethical or honest, did you?

4. lighthasmass says:

Homogenizing independent voices…. if they are loud enough.

5. jane doe says:

Not at all happy about this, though I am assured by those who know her that she will remain in charge of HuffPo content. I hope that's true.

6. bad, bad, bad, bad, bad …

7. i and I says:

No problem. I always had a bad feeling about the HP style. A bit to self-satisfied and I could sense she and the feed were just waiting and hoping for a buyout, but AOL? There is no lower point on the curve. Might as well sell the feed to Earthlink as well.

8. Guy Liesure says:

Wait Waylon writes for HP and EJ .

Does this mean that Elephant is next in line to be acquired.
    How does this effect, or not, the cross promotional agreement?
    If Elephant is bought by AOL will Waylon and Adriana need to wear a visible AOL logo at all times.

How much is EJ worth?

Waylon please respond ! !

9. I honestly believe in my heart, with all my dealings with Waylon and the guys, I don't feel they could ever sell out, no matter the dollar size!

10. Freda says:

Sounds like sour grapes from Elephant Journal. I wonder if you feel stupid that you wrote for free for Huff Post. Just don't understand where this women failed. Sounds like success to me.

11. Bearie says:

Actually, this might be a good thing.

12. […] Huffington Post and AOL Health contributor Dr. Andrew Weil says there are “cracks” in the plate where the USDA does not accurately distinguish good food from bad. Weil even claims the information is outdated. […]