Half of the forests that existed at the dawn of agriculture has since been destroyed.
Watch this stunning 7-minute film, Of Forests and Men–the official film for the launch of the International Year of the Forests, a global platform to celebrate people’s action to sustainably manage the world’s forests.
More forest facts.
- * Forests cover 31% of total land area.
- * 30% of forests are used for production of wood and non-wood products.
- * Forests are home to 80% of our terrestial biodiversity.
- * We are cutting trees down by the millions to plant soybeans and produce millions of tons of meat.
- * Every second, 2 football fields worth of rainforests are lost.
Read more forest facts and the International Year of the Forests 2011 on my blog, I Count for myEARTH.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 377 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 165 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 384 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 993 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 9 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,701 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,067 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 1,656 share How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 2,474 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,379 share