Half of the forests that existed at the dawn of agriculture has since been destroyed.
Watch this stunning 7-minute film, Of Forests and Men–the official film for the launch of the International Year of the Forests, a global platform to celebrate people’s action to sustainably manage the world’s forests.
More forest facts.
- * Forests cover 31% of total land area.
- * 30% of forests are used for production of wood and non-wood products.
- * Forests are home to 80% of our terrestial biodiversity.
- * We are cutting trees down by the millions to plant soybeans and produce millions of tons of meat.
- * Every second, 2 football fields worth of rainforests are lost.
Read more forest facts and the International Year of the Forests 2011 on my blog, I Count for myEARTH.
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. The Day I Stopped Running.