11 things you can do to help Japan. ~ Brent Binder

Via on Mar 16, 2011

As if the 8.9 quake wasn’t enough. Or the massively destructive world wide tsunami that ensued. A nuclear meltdown continues.

Now What?

Officials say there is “no potential danger for United States Citizens yet”; however many west coasters have bum rushed pharmacies for over 10,000 orders of potassium iodide pills on saturday alone… What do they know that you don’t?

I loved elephant journal’s stance in Tamara Kerner’s apocalyptic piece. Then I saw the mentioned “be the change” Ghandi bumper sticker on my way home from work this evening and was bombarded with the following.

Here’s my loose change.

What you need to know is that right now (as of early Wednesday morning) the maximum human radiation dosage for one year is being volcanoed into the atmosphere at an hourly rate.

“Be the change…” is rightly declared by the bumper sticker. However the famous quote’s ending “… that you Want to see” is not valid at this present moment. Right now you “Have to be the change the world needs you to be.” But before you read on, Ben Riggs has provided this link for your contributions.

Now the list.

#1. Take a deep slow breath.

Create a space for peace in your heart and a space will be created for peace in the world. The people of Japan need peace of mind and thoughts of comfort. They have no heat, no power, no food or water, if you can’t give them any of that, give them a moment of peace, even if it’s only one moment, right now. Just one breath.

Photo: DVIDSHUB

#2. Be creative.

You are a holographic microcosm of the earth (I got this from Carl Calleman). The left hemisphere of your brain represents the western hemisphere of the world, and the right side of your brain represents the eastern hemisphere of the world. Create a space for peace not only within your heart but also specifically within the right brain. The right hemisphere is simultaneously your creative/spirit/abstract brain and is also the physical location of Japan on the planet. Bust out the crayons and color pencils, write a happy poem, sing songs and share smiles with the someone you love, if you want to help the situation in Japan.

#3. Take a vow for 24 hours.

And let others know what your going to do on social media. It doesn’t matter if it’s a vow of silence, abstinence from sex, or fasting from red meat. Give up something in honor of those who have lost almost everything.

#4. Stop watching videos of the disaster.

I’m not saying you should hide your head in the sand either. If my family lived on the west coast, I would be keeping an ear down and an eye out. But, if you can create peace then you can also create dis-harmony. The internet media is fueling the firestorm of desperation of the Japanese people with everyone else’s pity and sorrow. I’m also not saying to forget about it and go back to life as normal. I’m not saying don’t be sorrowful either.  Just don’t embody the knee jerk reaction to victimize Japan. Instead, empower them with a mindset of courage and strength. Help the planet recognize this opportunity for Japan’s rebirth, the humanitarian effort, and the unity of our world by adopting that mindset yourself. You don’t even have to tell anyone, you just have to think it. Go wiki Japan, learn about and get to know these people. Befriend their consciousness.

#5 (should be #1). Stop worrying about the radiation.

And do something about it! Potassium iodide pills are the general recommendation for this type of radiation. I’m not saying if were gonna need it or not, and this is not medical advice. But it definitely wouldn’t hurt to look. Consult a physician, and you can start with the CDC recommendations here.

#6. Accept the reality of this moment.

The earth has been changed forever, literally four inches from it’s axis. That’s called a pole shift. Which I believe is inherently linked to our consciousness.

#7. Get ready for more.

Haiti, New Zealand, Japan and many recent others may only be the beginning. In the human body symptoms that manifest with increasing intensity and frequency are never good. So it definitely can’t be a good thing for the planet.

#8. Trust the process of nature.

Photo: DVIDSHUB

I know the suspense must be killing you (no pun intended). But is this for reals? “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished”  is all of the sudden a very scary Lao Tzu slice of pie. So what if it is a shift… Shift happens.  Isn’t that what all this yoga and meditation is about anyway? Befriending your soul and embracing “the miracle of death… When the real you doent really die.” ~ Chopra.

Worrying just fans the flames of panic and unrest. Nobody needs that.

#9. Engage (don’t ignore) your inner emotions evoked by the disaster and this blog.

Are you getting angry, upset, uncomfortable or inspired? Whatever it is, meditate on it, do an intense assana, and listen to what the (universal spirit) subconscious is trying to telling you. Because apparently earthquakes aren’t enough warning any longer.

#10. Take responsibility.

You are an individual among billions of other individual organisms. Your thoughts create reality and your imbalances manifest in the world around you. Collectively, universally, consciously or unconsciously, we all participate in the earths grand dance of survival and evolution. If your near a region affected by this or any other disaster, go help. If not, go to your meditation room or yoga mat, and reflect on what you have done. I would call it, the reverse Maharashi Effect.

#11. Forgive everyone and become wholeheartedly appreciative for your opportunity to love in this life time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brent Binder is a chiropractor and does not believe the world is going to end anytime soon. He is not perfect and is writing this article for himself foremost. He claims to be working on a book, but will most likely just facebook post all his really good ideas. He is extensively educated in Human Life Forms with a B.S. in Biology, a Masters in Sport Science and a Doctorate in Chiropractic. A Taurus by heart and teacher of Human and General Biology at Penn State University. Brent leads a small mediation group on the weekend and is sometimes lucky enough to fill in for his tai chi instructor when she can’t make class. He aspires to teach yoga with his Wife, Erica, and grow happiness, health and an assortment of veggies in their back yard garden with their recently born daughter of 6 weeks, Neela Shanti. You can friend him on facebook. or in real life if you prefer.

About elephant journal

62 Responses to “11 things you can do to help Japan. ~ Brent Binder”

1. Helene Rose helene_rose says:

Thanks for this…I figured out a way that I'm going to help.
    On March 29th, I will have a free REIKI day at my office where anyone can stop in and receive 15 minutes of Reiki.
    Reiki is a Japanese hands on energy healing art form ….. I can post more about this next week!
    Helene

• Brent Binder drbinder says:

That is fantastic Helene! Thank You. I am marking the occasion in my calendar and will think of you throughout the day!

2. Kimberly S. says:

I grew up in a very religious family. I know the power of prayer. My youngest sister was 3 months early, I have never see the power of prayer before the moment. For the 80 days she remained in the hospital she continued to beat the odds. I agree that when it comes to prayer one of the most power thing we can do is remain hopeful for them, pray for them, send empowering thoughts to them. Money is not always a realistic thing, especially with today's economy, but for the money you are unable to give, you can give with your servant like mindset. Do not let the horrors of the media swallow you, instead allow them to leave an impression that makes you want to change what you are seeing.

Say a prayer.

3. Brent Binder drbinder says:

Thank You for your comments everyone, each individual expression is unique and important.

4. chad garbrick says:

Im definitely going to be doing some of these things. After all the negative things that have hit Japan they definitely need some positive thoughts and energy sent their way. Thanks for the ideas Dr. B

5. Alice says:

Come on guys! GRAMMAR Check~ this is supposed to be an online credible magazine!
    Great content, but pull out your English books from highschool please!

6. Courtney Miller says:

Absolutely fantastic! I completely agree! :)

7. Jennifer Gordon says:

Great article, you learn something new everyday!

8. Jackie Warden says:

Never thought like this before Dr. B…Very interesting!!!

9. disneygirl2212 says:

I have friends from Japan who everyday when we meditate in class for Japan I think of them and send all my thoughts to them. Dr. B, You have an amazing view on life and I thank you for rethinking the way i live my life! I will defiantly participate in in some of the thinks you have listed above!

10. Taylor Hayden says:

Very great ideas Dr. Binder. It is a very huge thing that has happened and the best way to get through it is through continuing support. I really like the ideas of being creative, meditation, and taking a vow. Those studies that have been done about the power of meditation show that it works and I feel if enough of us do this then it could help out a lot. I am not sure what 24 hour vow I will make but I will find something. Also I plan on being creative in the coming weeks whenever I can.

11. Brent Binder drbinder says:

Sweeet! You All Rock! Even you Alice!

12. Gana Park says:

When I was in my country, Korea, I’m the one who was very interested in Yoga practice and some kind of different meditation called energy-practice or spirit-practice in which hypogastric breathing is considered very importantly. It has some common aspects with yoga practice. Therefore, I think, for me, it is easier to understand or accept what Dr. Binder is trying to tell us by this article here. Ever since I came to the United State, I have been almost forgotten about those perspectives in my life living in foreign country. So, first day of the bisci class by Dr. Binder, I was kind of surprised from what I haven’t expected from the class. At first time, to be more honest, I was confused because of the things that I haven’t expected from the course. However, as time goes by, at this moment in this semester, I think I’m getting what kind of changes professor wants in our life, little by little. Thank you for reminding me the important thing which I have forgotten and for the lists that I can apply to the situation.
    Plus, #2 of the lists was interesting that the left hemisphere of our brain represents the western hemisphere of the world, and the right side of our brain represents the eastern hemisphere of the world. If it is true, I’m very glad that I might have been helping Japan even unconsciously only by being creative using right hemisphere. I think I’m the one who uses the right side of hemisphere more than using the left side..:)

13. [...] of “Why me?” Second, one that looks across the water and at the rising numbers of casualties in Northern Japan, then wonders, “Why not me?” What same universe can shield 150 yogis from a simple sunburn, [...]

14. Janice B says:

Wow! im glad someone wrote something different about the devastating recent events in Japan. these ideas are very different, insightful, and they ring with positivity and hope, things we definitely need right now. Its amazing how much power we have as individuals just by training our thoughts and therefore redirecting our energy. very inspirational dr. B! :)

15. Cierstin Dixon says:

This is really awesome Dr.B! I completely agree!

16. Kelly Flack says:

I am for sure going to try to do some of these things!! this site is awesome, thanks!

17. Zach Friesner says:

While I do not personally believe all of your ideas, I do appreciate them, and what they embody.

18. Krista Lehman says:

After reading this it does make you have a different perspective on life and can influence how everyone lives. It can be hard at times to look at a natural disaster, like that of what happened in Japan, and take a step back and keep a calm mind. It is important for people to take a deep breath and have a clear conscious about things that happen in the world like this, because we make the emotion of the atmosphere around us. By keeping cool, and collected we can gather together and try to find a solution to the problems life throws at us. This article is very inspiring, thank you so much for sharing Dr. Binder!

19. Brent Binder drbinder says:

This is excellent feedback and feed forward! I am humble these words could incite such beautiful memories and emotions!

20. Max Hrip says:

I think that these ideas are good for people to adopt because what happened in Japan is truly sad and unfortunate and the world has to do whatever they can to help the people of Japan. I believe doing these things can bring a good harmony to the world and to people of Japan. If the world can give off good spirits and energy this will help Japan more with there recovery. These ideas are great and very creative to help the situation in Japan.

21. Lauren Weaver says:

It's interesting to see how meditation and positive thinking not only help us train our emotions and provide us with a stress reliever, but also effects the energy around us and passes onto others. Looking at this from a more creative perspective and taking action on a less expected route could be the only option for some people — those who wish to do something, but can't. This gives everyone an opportunity to take action and pass on positive energy to others. And while we keep positive, through this learning experience will appreciate and be thankful we are safe.

22. Indira Case says:

Thank you Dr. B, these suggestions are really inspiring, and I completely agree that "we get back, what we put in." So even if we aren't physically able to help those out in Japan, we are all capable of being supportive spiritually, and emotionally. I will be sure to share this with my peers.

23. mark richoux says:

Dr. B i thought you had some very good points on this very trying situation in Japan. They most definitely need our support and prayers.

24. Andrew Kuruc says:

Awesome article! Very creative ideas.

25. Michelle Dauksha says:

I found this article extremely interesting – it definitely mentions some great points and ways to help those affected by the tragedy.

Ironically, I was in Texas on Alternative Spring Break doing hurricane relief when this earthquake occurred. We had spent the entire week getting to know the family as they worked by our side renovating their home that was destroyed during Hurricane Ike. Throughout that experience we became closer with each other and the family as we worked to build them a home instead of just a plain old house.

I definitely agree with these suggestions – especially "you get back what you put in"

26. Daniel Howard says:

AWESOME!!! GREAT JOB!! YOU'RE THE MAN DR. B!!! =)

27. Karina Reyes says:

I liked what you had to say and even took that deep breathe, when I read this article. I agree also about not watching so much of the media coverage, 'why watch,go help!'-kind of idea is what I think. I'm also curious to know if those pills will actually really help with the radiation. Your #7 point kind of makes me worried though! Good article though, gives a lot to think about!

28. Justin Drew says:

Dr.B what Veggies are you growing in your backyard, that was deep! Thanks, that really made me think how the diaster in Japan affected all of us.

29. Joe Boyd says:

Well said, and very inciteful Dr. B! Any thoughts on other major global events?

30. Deja B. says:

Very nice blog Dr. B, i'll admit that when started reading this I got confuse during the introduction, but as i continue reading I realize it was like any noraml class hour with you but in words. I belive that I will do some of the things you suggested in this lovely blog and I hope I can make some kind of impact no matter how small.

31. Nathan Tulchinsky says:

Inspiring to say the least Dr. B! Your thoughts are extremely abstract and it takes a special mind to think of these solutions. I wish more would think positively like this.

32. joshstahl says:

Awesome page Dr. B. My thoughts and prayers will be with Japan. Thank you for the enlightening information!

33. ReneeTaylor90 says:

This is really deep and thought provoking. I enjoyed reading it and all of it is really great advice during this hard time that Japan and many parts of the world are going through. Positive energy is the key to success

34. Katie says:

This was such an inspirational piece Dr. B! I really like how you put a twist on the Gandhi quote. The culminating the strength of our own spiritual nature with that of the people and country of Japan really struck me. I find it amazing how much the energy we emit in this world truly can impact the greater good. I am a firm believer in the law of attraction, that whatever we put out in this world will in turn come back to us. The points you make about channeling our energy and letting simple actions be our voice in this matter, is a concept we all need to really step back and take in. If we all can do these small acts you suggest they can truly add up to causing an overall big reaction! Truly inspiring, thank you!

35. Jason Brenner says:

Great article. I'll definitely look up more about the pole shift.

36. chris carrero says:

Wow..good job. This is amazing. Will deffinately look at more post on here!

37. Tiffany says:

I think its a great idea.

38. Ben Bragg says:

I guess there's many more ways you can helps besides just donating money. Most of these i would never think of.

39. Kaitlyn Laughlin says:

Dr. B it is incredible to me how you are always trying to help others, even in this case when they are so far away. You are right we do get back what we put in. I am a firm believer in Karma. I had a counselor tell me once that when I am unable to give tangible items to people, to see them positive thoughts and energy and that they will feel it. It was really neat to see that repeated up at the top by you.

40. Jake Schneider says:

Good Job Dr. B the list is very good. It's very interesting especially about the pole shift and the fact that each person is a holographic microcosm. I really learned a lot.

41. Meng Liu says:

This is really an impressive article.
    people should become rational again.
    do the things correctly and effectively.
    pray for the victims and surf on the internet to learn about and get to know these people. Befriend their consciousness.

42. Jing Shi says:

It was so sad that this kind of thing happened in Japan which really close to my hometown. Dr. B, I thought u said really true that we shouldn't curse or complain what happened. The only thing we should do now is preying for Japan. Best wishes for them!!!

43. Francis Melone says:

This is a good way to look at and treat the recent disaster that may not have affected most of us over here. I think it would be helpful to be mentally strong for those in Japan and also those around the that were affected by the succession of tragedies. Hopefully all of us who have been touched by the events in Japan can take part in even the smallest form of contribution, mentally or physically. God bless the Japanese people

44. Evan Winter says:

After all the techniques I have learned in class; from high school and even in college. Meditation truly is a way to reach out to those in need, even if you have nothing to offer. Your thoughts are so powerful. Thank you so much for such a wonderful article Dr. B!

45. Mikha C. Vergara says:

As an informed consumer, Middletown actually offers the potassium iodide pills as well because of the 3-mile island. I thought to let everyone know from Penn State Harrisburg.

As far as the 11 things you can do for Japan. I agree on all of it. And other than these 11 things, do something about it rather than just feeling sorry about it. For one, the XGI's of Penn State Harrisburg are taking donations for Japan. I believe they will have a table set-up on Stacks stage at olmstead. If you have other ideas on how to help Japan, talk to them, collaborate with them, if not, your very own Student Government is there to help.

46. J.D. Intrieri says:

This is a great article. I'm sure very few people have considered helping Japan in this manner. I believe their strongest support could come from meditation and positive energy.

47. Ken Knowlton says:

Fantastic article I really like the alternative approach you took to this. They are certainly in need of some peace and comfort during this time of disaster and devastation. They are a strong society but it will be some time before they recover. The devastation caused by the Fukushima is unbelievable and the death toll continues to rise as recovery efforts continue, keep the japanese people in your prayers.

Also it doesn't hurt to donate to the Red Cross :)

48. Raj Singh says:

Dr. B …you are the man …you have some very good standpoints and I absolutely agree with you. Way to go man!! Everybody pray for Japan!!

49. Alyssa Stirling says:

Dr. B , i thought that this piece was really interesting. I think it is amazing how doing what seems like little things can actually make a difference in a big way.

50. cavblade says:

While I don't do yoga, I still prayed for Japan. They are a very resilient people and I have high hopes for their recovery and rebuilding efforts. Your article is an excellent way that people can get involved without any extra effort. We Americans are so lazy, lol. But really, If you do want to do something after you've sent Japan some good vibes, go to the Red Cross website and make a donation. Good article Dr. B.