I came across girlskirtmission by chance (facebook is good for some things). As a Yoga teacher I’m always searching for the ideal clothes that not only fit my personality but fit my body like a glove. I don’t do lycra for anymore than a photo shoot because I detest synthetic fabrics against my skin, the thought of it makes me cringe and my skin crawl. My Indian roots are so important to me and I love to express that in my classes and throughout my teaching. I got pretty excited when I read ‘Milijana’s’ (girlskirtmission creator) story and if you ‘Love’ then I’m sure you’ll agree.
The Story of the Skirt
* The girl skirt mission was born from one skirt in one suitcase coming back from India after an extended ashram stay.
* The first girl skirt mission skirt was discovered in a hair salon in a small remote village in India. It then chose to multiply in multitudes of colors and various expressions of its magnificence.
* The girl skirt mission name was conceived in meditation with the three words visually coming together to form a very interesting domain name.
* The girl skirt mission mission statement, “I want to take over the world. And do it with a skirt. To teach it Love” , came from three sentences pulled from a long email sent to a yogi friend in Bosnia and written in the passion of the moment as a true sentiment. It then translated into a vision on a post it note.
* Mick Jaggar and the Rolling Stones visited the wholesale shop where the skirt fabrics are produced in India one week prior to the skirt mission’s first visit. The shop owners did not realize who they were til they left but did sell them some of the shop’s kurtas.
* Rosario Dawson wore the red fancy girl skirt mission skirt on stage at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem, NY while doing a V-Day monologue entitled “My Short Skirt”. Present in the audience were Jane Fonda, Tony Childs, Marisa Tomei, Gloria Steinem and Isabella Rossellini.
* Not being able to cope with the Western world and material life and the thought of doing a business after many years of living a single pointed Bhakti life the skirt mission was almost abandoned before it truly began.
* The few original samples of girl skirt mission garments were carried around and shown reluctantly in a tearing Whole Foods brown paper bag.
* The only reason the skirt mission was not abandoned before it began was due to a dream in which the Guru came and simply said: “Stay in worldly life”. All doors were to spring open after that.
* The girl skirt mission was conceived and nurtured in one room with one bed, one laptop, one dream and one altar.
* The first words put on paper in an attempt to define and give birth to the mission were “I have a dream…and it’s wrapped around a skirt”. It was done at the kitchen table.
* Bringing the girl skirt mission products to the US took 2.5 years 4 trips to India, three factories, two potential investors, a few headaches and one angel.
* The manufacturers of the girl skirt mission pant fabrics had never previously sold their goods to a woman nor had a Westerner ever walked through their door.
* The manufacturer of the girl skirt mission pant fabric in India was found after a single bicycle was spotted on a crooked narrow road, stacked with colorful orange fabric, bicycling to a factory.
* The Milijana name is a birth name given within the rolling hills of the former Yugoslavia by a grandmother who wore long gray braids rolled under a babushka, had one proud tooth to chew her meals and lived through the second world war.
* This beloved grandmother who was nurturer and mother and a survivor knew all her flock of sheep by name and delivered each of her grandchildredn at home, was killed in the raging war between the Croats and the Serbs in the former Yugoslavia.
*The Milijana name means “to embrace life” in Hindi and “Love of my life” in Urdu, two of India’s languages.
* The girl skirt mission’s main aim is to serve as a reminder that Divinity is the essence of all living beings.
“We honor the boundless in you which seeks to know itself.
We honor the infinite in you, which seeks to realize Self.
We honor its’ full manifestation which is Love itself.”
girl skirt mission
“I want to take over the world. And do it with a skirt. To teach it Love.
So here I am now selling girlskirtmission after less than a month of finding and wearing her and WOW! she’s a winner. Being Involved with girlskirtmission is a dream come true, not only have I fallen in Love with this high vibrational clothing I also get to sell it to the world so that everyone out there can experience the joys of being wrapped in pure unconditional love, from the Yoga mat to lounging on the beach or even sitting in the office, once you wrap girlskirtmission around you your life will never be the same again.
To Get Your Pants On! Visit:
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. The Day I Stopped Running. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012.