I’m all for having a good time and throwing back a couple of drinks, especially on a festive day such as St. Patrick’s Day. But of course, it is easy to over do it and feel like a pile of green garbage the day after. But it’s just as easy to enjoy yourself while being smart and healthy about the whole beer guzzling fiasco. Below are a few tips on how to keep from turning green the day after all the festivities!
What to do before your green hued liquor binge:
* St. Paddy’s Day morning, start off with a healthy glass of green juice by Odwalla, Naked, Trader Joe’s or Bolthouse Farms. You will get a few of your daily servings of hearty veggies in one glass as well as boost your immune system for later, not so healthy action ; )
* Walk or ride your bike to your local Irish pub to save up some calories, gas and the environment as well as to help save lives after to much green fun ; )
* Drinking plenty of water before going out to drink as well as drinking an occasional glass of plain water during the time that you are consuming alcohol. Be sure drink a full glass of water just before going to sleep that night.
* Have a dinner of starchy foods such as pasta or potatoes. Starchy foods slow down the alcohol absorption.
* Drink slowly (nurse your drinks). Less alcohol consumption equals less chance for a hangover.
Things that can help you if you do overdo it are:
* Taking vitamin c as it will help to breakdown the alcohol faster in your body.
* As soon as you wake in the morning drink another full glass of water.
* Also, taking vitamin B complex capsules you will lessen the time that your hangover will last.
* You can make a hangover tea by crushing 5 to 6 thyme leaves and place them in a cup. Fill the cup with water and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the leaves and drink the remaining liquid.
* Placing a cold pack to the forehead will give immediate relief from a headache.
* Consuming alcohol puts toxins into your body. You can help to drain these toxins from your body by taking a hot bath in the morning. When you drain the toxins you will experience less symptoms.
* Eat a banana for breakfast the morning after you have been drinking.
* Have a nice cup of Milk Thistle Tea with your meal as it will aid in your liver’s ability to process alcohol better ; )
For the morning after, to replace electrolytes & rehydrate, make this homemade gatorade:
2 quarts filtered water
1/2 cup Orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all the ingredients together and serve chilled. Also, have some Ginger Root Tea, bananas & saltines handy for upset tummies.
The Healthy Voyager, aka Carolyn Scott-Hamilton, is the Vegan Executive Producer, Creator, Host and Writer of The Healthy Voyager web series & radio show, site, blog, and overall brand. A nutritionist, chef, film making, screen writing, traveling, singing, dancing, fun-loving, healthy & green living wife, The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time!
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 452 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 69,636 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 17,379 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,783 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,600 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,669 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,050 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,105 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 879 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,141 share