Think I’m going to hell? You’re already there.

Via on Mar 9, 2011

I have a papal problem I was hoping you could help me with:

I’m Buddhist, and I hear I’m going to hell ’cause I don’t believe in God.

Seems like a kinda big issue.

~

More dumplings, dear Heathen?

A few years back I was invited to a lovely dinner with friends of family.

They wined and dined me, served me graciously…and then, halfway through dinner, it came up somehow in conversation, they casually admitted that, yes, I was going to hell because I was a heathen.

I couldn’t get over it—these nice people believed I was going to hell, to be tortured for all time because I was in some way evil, and yet treated me like a prince.

Ca-lassic religion+dogma-before-present-moment-fail.

With thanks to Colin for the inspiration.

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Think I’m going to hell? You’re already there.”

1. MC says:

The only compassionate thing for a hell-believing Christian to do with his life is to relentlessly try and convert people. If they’re throwing dinner parties and casually reminding people of the eternal torments that await them, they are just smug jerks.

2. Does that make me a muse? Generally I hear that am amusing…!

But yeah am not one for organised religion. I know it has it's place in the multiverse, but for me personally, I don't like that everything in certain religions is centred around god – at weddings n funerals, it always feels less about the persons involved, and more about their involvement with god. In Christianity it says love thy neighbour (as do most religions I suppose but not as directly)…so how can you say your neighbour is going to hell? Things I've done in my life…am so going to their hell, but am loving every moment!

• themeanderingmushroomman says:

hey ~ all our friends will be there – organized religion is neither

but lookin at it from a true bee leafer's perspective if I luvs ya neighbor I sure is gonna dew all I kin
      to save yer ass from infernal damnation ~ btw Damnation wood be a kool place to have a passport from
      if only for the looks you'd get from the TSA screeners.

3. elephantjournal says:

tweet and retweet:

Sup seitan worshippers? "@elephantjournal: Namaste this: you're going to hell, heathen: http://t.co/kwYQfJb #yoga #xtian #bible"

4. catlyn777 says:

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of Buddhists as company. Really, in that case, it must be a very loving compassionate place to be, lol! ;>P

5. One philosopher once said, "might as well believe in Jesus because why take the 1% chance that this whole heaven/hell thing is real". That said, a Buddhist should be fine in either location. And perhaps we're already in Hell (Earth).

6. samantha says:

Does it really matter what others think as long as you believe and walk a path of good? They felt they were being open & honest with you, your job is not to judge them and move on. Its not like they had pastor ready to baptize you as after dinner entertainment.

7. [...] I’m Buddhist. I’m okay without you. Please back off with your judgment and hellfire and desire and remember there’s different paths to the mountaintop…and “god” by any other name is as holy. [...]

8. AnnetteVictoria says:

This ties in nicely, especially "5. Your Point of View is Legitimately Offensive to Them"

"10 things Christians and Atheists can and must agree on": http://www.cracked.com/article_15759_10-things-ch

9. john says:

I had a buddhist tell me Im going to hell!, I didnt even say anything to her!

10. elephantjournal says:

Yah, I appreciated the dinner…but less after they informed me they thought I was evil, technically, and would go to hell at some point after they treated me so generously. ~ W.