Via on May 2, 2011

Lara Logan on 60 Minutes, tells her sexual assault in Tahrir Square. Click here for background.

This is graphic. Not for children.

I’m crying, having just read the transcript. Not sure I can watch the video. I’m pretty “emotionally repressed,” as I like to joke, and reading this was worse than watching a horror movie, physically, because of course it’s true, and she’s so open and strong and a mother and a human being.

She’s telling this story just once.

She’s speaking out, she tells us, to add her voice to those who confront sexual violence; to break what she calls the “code of silence.”

About Waylon Lewis

7 Responses to “Lara Logan: a brave voice for victims of Sexual Assault. {Warning: heartrending}”

1. video? says:

Where's the video? Not working.

2. anna says:

im deeply grateful impressed and pleased into my bones to see this kind of courage. Sharing is healing. For a long time I have felt I was done with my own story of being raped, cause i also did speak out about it and so on, but this brings out another level of healing when hearing this empowering sharing. this voice gives back dignity to thousands of thousands of vomen who carry their stories and gulit and blame and shame alone. And for women in Cairo, i used to live there a few years ago, there are so many women from all kinds of backgrounds carrying stories and i hope that they will be able to speak up and share and reclaim integrity in a totally new way now when the regime is changing after the revolution. And Laras words is step to reclaiming that essential voice for integrity. Words are powerful and telling our stories is not only encouraging others process of empowerment, it is essential for healing all of us, cause we are suffering together and healing together, this is something that we share no matter where we come from. Grateful.

3. Mat Hill says:

Haven’t seen this yet, as it will probably make me very angry. As it’s not something I need to reconfirm my humanity or moral standpoints in any way I’m not sure I’m going to, unless as an exercise in visualising how I would deal with such people: a pessimistic and very dark exercise in itself as it would acknowledge that we are never very far from animalistic behaviour.

I will say, though, that reading the comments of people brought up in western society (mostly but not exclusively America) on an article on Logan in the ever-so-enlightened Guardian it chilled me to the core how many people said she deserved it on some way for not extricating herself from the situation beforehand.

We still have a long way to go. Will watching this vid help me respond to such commenters?

4. YochanBerkowitz says:

I saw the interview she is really remarkable considering what she went through. Thank you, Lara Logan for being a leader in smashing the silence. -Yochanan Berkowitz

5. zbigpigula says:

Hello,

I’ve been reading this board for quite a long time. Recently, firefox tries to stop me from visiting – it says that this website is infected.

Can you do something about it?

Thanks in advance

6. [...] It seems to me that it’s important for us to recognize how widespread this is. Sometimes we are violent towards ourselves as women, because we don’t realize what it means wh… [...]

7. Comment says:

Knowing that others have experienced the same can be so healing–and particularly seeing someone face the horror with such strength… Very brave.