Name Me a Single War that was Worth It?

Via elephantjournal.com
on May 30, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

War! What is it good for?

Ugh, it’s Memorial Day, I say to myself each year.

I’m one of those people who for four generations, at least, have had zero experience at war. I was too young or old to be in any Gulf War. My dad was five when WWII started—so too young for Korea and too old for Vietnam. And his father traipsed across Europe under a fake name (would my life have been different if I kept it – “Greenberg”?) to avoid the front lines of whatever war he was avoiding.

Who wants to be dead?

WWII?

Even WWII. What did we do? What has Europe ever done for us since then?  Good thing we bombed the hell out of Europe so the IMF can go around raping everyone now. We can say, “Well Hitler was killing the jews! We had to go in there!”

Are you kidding me? He killed the Jews. It was already over for six million Jews by the time we stepped foot in Germany (and millions more displaced after much anguish). And the gays, the gypsies, France, parts of England, and whatever else Hitler felt like.

We only went in there after the war was already lost. We didn’t help anyone. We didn’t save a single Jew by going into WWII (or, at the very least, from the mid 1930s to 1945 six million Jews were discriminated against and then killed without our help). In fact, it’s well known FDR turned away some of the Jews he actually had a chance to save, who then ended up going back to Europe and dying (apparently the US had “immigration difficulties”  with them).

(the SS St. Louis containing hundreds of Jews was refused permission to dock in Cuba and the US, and many of the passengers ended up back in Europe under German rule)

Plus we kept a bunch of Japanese locked up while we killed millions of their citizens and reduced their culture to making matchbox cars and faulty watches for generations. For what? Because they were trying to take over China? Heck, what difference to us would it have made? I really ask—would it have made any difference? Are Chinese citizens, 50% in poverty, better because we nuked Japan? Twice?

And now Europe mostly hates us. 418,000 American kids killed there.

What war did we really need to go into?

WW I –  I kind of challenge anyone without looking at Wikipedia to even tell me what that war was all about? Some Archduke was killed. 117,000 18-23 year old American boys had to die there because of that?

Korea and Vietnam? – we already know those were a waste (thanks to M.A.S.H. – god bless TV). 33,000 Americans died in Korea (forgetting about the millions of Koreans and Chinese) and 58,000 people died in Vietnam. And by the way, we lost that one.

I’m not trying to be “pro-peace.” I’m more anti-stupidity. What happened there? Was our white picket suburban way of life threatened in those wars?

(the wedding of a 20 year old American Iraq war victim)

Iraq and Afghanistan: Over 40,000 American troops have been killed or injured there. Much more than died in the World Trade center tragedy of 9/11. And this ignores the 800,000 Iraqi civilians killed.

Tell me a single war that might’ve been good? We destroyed Iraq and now it’s helpless. We can’t even rebuild it. Afghanistan has been beaten back to the stone ages, and it took 10 years to find Osama in a mansion in Pakistan and we still don’t have the full story on that. I guess I’d be a horrible President.

Unless it was war with Canada (to get oil cheap, since they are by far our biggest provider of oil) I’d never go to war with anyone. Libya? They blew up one of our planes 30 years ago and we even let the guys free so they could have a hero’s welcome in Tripoli? What’s going on now?

(this 5 yr old girl watched US forces kill her civiilian parents)

There’s a squadron of guys in skirts playing bagpipes outside my door this very second on their way to the river. Down the street there’s a cemetery of crosses to commemorate the day. It’s a horrible day in commemoration of mostly dead 18-year-olds. Everyone who goes to war is certainly a hero. But the victims far outnumber the heroes.

I hate feeling like a “pro peace” person. That’s not what this is about. This is about those moments when you kill your own life, your own time, feasting on your own angers, sucking them dry even though nobody’s paying attention to you crying like a baby – when you could’ve been doing so much more.

You could’ve been building things. Raising a family. Starting a business. Ignoring the people who try to take you down every day at work, among your colleagues, your family. You could’ve been saving lives. And everything would be so much better.

====

[Update: I put this in the comments on my blog but adding it to the article here]

Someone mentioned earlier I was a “lazy ass” because my way of life has been defended and protected in these wars. A couple of points:

A) my way of life certainly wasn’t defended in Vietnam and Iraq. We can argue about the others, but whatever.
B) The children in the pics above (and I include the married couple) – was their way of life defended?
C) Iraq was perhaps the first war where I realized that people I held to the highest of respect (Colin Powell, for instance) were going to have to blatantly lie to me in order to achieve some agenda that had nothing to do with protecting me.
D) my “lazy ass” has hired over 1000 people and invested in companies hiring millions more. Hopefully these jobs create innovation and sustainability that lasts generations. Our way of life is about growth and prosperity. That ultimately leads to less death and killing (look at mortality rates here over the past century). We each should do our part.
E) Nobody is arguing whether or not these children are heroes. They all are. Its just a shame so many of them don’t come back and it’s a shame the many lies that took them there.

About elephantjournal.com

Comments

96 Responses to “Name Me a Single War that was Worth It?”

1. SriDTMc says:

thank you!

see also: "war is a racket" http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket….
    by General Smedley Butler, one of the most decorated military officers in U.S. history. He lays out the wars he participated in as being part of a gigantic swindle being perpetrated on the people the U.S. and the world. Killing for profit and power."

2. SriDTMc says:

but wait, why do you "hate feeling like a pro-peace person?"
    don't let over-aggressive war-mongers shame you into feeling like supporting a peaceful agenda is a sign of weakness.
    there is a great gandhi quote, something like "non-violence is a weapon of the strong"

3. Eric says:

James, I appreciate your article. It is honest and insightful. I agree with everything you said and I think it takes some balls to call it like it is with respect to war. We romanticise war so poor people won't riot when we force their kids to go fight, usually just for sell the bullets, guns and m.r.e.'s.. We are not the White Knights riding into save everyone. That's just what we like to pretend.

At the same time there is a part of me that is the hatred and the greed that causes this junk.

4. NotSoSure says:

I agree on many of the points you made in this post. The war in Iraq should never have been started. If we were never in Irag then the war in Afghanistan most likely would have turned out much differently. And do you honestly believe that turning a blind eye to the murder of thousands of Americans by a foreign government would have made the world a better place?

In the interest of brevity, let's examine just one of the many historical inaccuracies found in this post. Yeah, millions of Jews, gypsies, homosexuals were killed before the concentration camps were liberated by Allied forces. And it is also true that Hitler would have continued to kill millions more in his efforts to rid the world of all people he considered undesirable. Your statement that "we didn't save a single Jew" is not only historically inaccurate but also completely asinine. Err, hello. There were Jews in the camps when the camps were seized by the Allies. That historical fact is all that is needed to prove your statement that "we didn't save a single Jew" to be nothing but an outright lie.

This post could have been so much better if you had not used an ignorant and skewed view of history to support your arguments. We as a nation have made many mistakes in our choices of conflicts and we do not seem to learn from past mistakes. But using trite and inaccurate observations does nothing to advance your arguments.

5. JamesAltucher says:

Hitler did kill millions more after he was dead. He was only called Stalin and Mao then and nobody stopped them. What was all the point then?

6. dan says:

To the victor goes the narrative, yet question it and you are the one revising. Ask why one needs a monster to defeat a monster, and are attacked for being a monster apologist. Etc.
    Yet, no one wins a war, and there are no monsters, just human beings acting like the hateful egoistic greedy beings the hateful egoistic & greedy tell us we are.
    F*ck War. It’s really just that simple. Don’t support it, from others or yourself. Don’t support Bushes or Obamas. Don’t support even the idea of “enemy”.

7. Colin Wiseman says:

"What has Europe ever done for us since then?" Really you ask this? Or were you about to go into a Monty Python sketch?

8. A veteran says:

Actually it offends me that so many people gave up their lives so inane posts like this can exist. Ugh, so ignorant of history and how ungrateful to those who sacrificed so you can be protected.

9. Qualifier: I am the furthest thing from a history buff. I'm also far from perfect. That said, just yesterday, I told my son to stop banging something–"You're disturbing the peace," I said. He came back with "What peace?There's never peace." I told him there would be if only everyone were at peace with themselves. Who would need war or guns? Unfortunately the reality is there are some messed up people out there. I absolutely hate war. I think Iraq and Afghanistan are a mess, while I don't think a blind eye should have been turned on 9-11—why couldn't we just go in and get the bad guys and be done with it? More importantly, why does our society condone gun/war related 'toys' and games? Altho my son has these fighting toys (thanks to my hubby. Believe me I really really tried + wouldn't allow my son to play with toy guns for at least the first few years. At least my hubby + I agree on this–> Although many 10 year olds own + play Teen rated video games, he is not allowed. Period. We've never bought an electronic game for him–he has to buy his own. I'm guessing he's played some awful video games under the radar at friends' homes). ANYWAY… I refuse to play. If he asks, I tell him–only if this is a peace mission. We adults can argue about what war was right or wrong or what the historical facts are… but until we stop reinforcing war/fighting/violence with our children, it will continue. Guilty as charged–the fact I gave in to my hubby and son + the so-called argument that "that's what boys do" makes me an accomplice of sorts. How can we change this??? It absolutely has to start with our children.

10. Lisa says:

I disagree with you, although I am not as well informed as Harris. I DO agree with you about certain wars tho, including the current messes we have started. But I applaud your courage of conviction in writing this piece, especially on Memorial Day. And I love that you call us all to look within, where all the problems ultimately start. Thanks for a thought provoking piece.

11. Claudia says:

James I also appreciate your article, it does leave me thinking, I am surprised at how sometimes we want to be "right" rather than be "at peace"… and peace starts within, unfortunately until we all stop projecting our angers outside and start looking inside it might be a while…

12. War sucks but... says:

I am not nearly as informed as some of the other people who have commented here. However, I disagree with your approach and feel it's just as offensive as those preach war mongering. You are essentially saying that my family and friends who have gone to war wasted not only their time but for some of them, their lives. That their death was pointless. You mention we "send off 18 year olds", we no longer have a draft so these men and women choose to go into the military. You can disagree with wars all your want, but without these people throughout history, you would not have the rights you hold so dear….America wouldn't even exist, what about the civil war….was slavery a worthy cause? I mean, you say that we intervened in WWII after too many Jews were killed, by your standards we should have never intervened at all….so what's the alternative…what would have happened? I agree that there have been cases in history that we should have been involved in, but that nullifies your argument. Yes, some of our actions have been misguided, yes, there have been wars that were not worth the casualties they produced, but you're sweeping statement says that this has always been that case. So, what is the answer then? How would you have gone about solving these problems?

13. […] more at ELEPHANT JOURNAL View Escape The Illusion's Profile      Subscribe via […]

14. ilona says:

This comment is brought to you by the 82nd Airborne which liberated my father, then a teenager, from a Nazi concentration camp in Germany. Am I glad the US went to war against the Nazis? Absolutely. Do I wish the United States had done more to save more Jews sooner? Yes. Then, maybe, I might have met my grandparents and aunts who did not survive. What disturbs me about this article, and that it was allowed to be published in this particular online space was that, as others have pointed out, it simplifies and distorts history to argue a point. I think the following was the point, a line toward the end: "This is about those moments when you kill your own life, your own time, feasting on your own angers, sucking them dry even though nobody’s paying attention to you crying like a baby – when you could’ve been doing so much more." For a spiritual site that is trying to build a subscriber base, I would hope for a more nuanced, balanced and thoughtful consideration to lead up to this conclusion, words that would inspire a reader to keep reading and support Elephant journal. My subscription is already paid for, but if this had been the first Elephant article I had read, I can't be sure I would have visited again let alone paid.

15. elephantjournal says:

#
    Michelle Tabor Its not the war, its the effort that those men and women put in to it to keep us safe.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Lauren Madden The Civil War.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personMonica Cristina Poujol Fabara likes this.
    #
    Jen Smith Yikes..Might want to give a disclaimer that some of those pics are graphic.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Christopher Saxton Given the fact that evil does exist in the world, some wars must be fought (WWII) to save the world/mankind from horrible people/goverments. Not very pretty, but sometimes very necessary..
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Paula Mac Excellent article.Thank you. No war is, or ever will be worth it.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 3 peopleJames Altucher and 2 others like this.
    Jaimi Hollon
    “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
    What have you given? Besides one-sided word vomit. I'm also offended that you would use a photo of an injured war veteran to propgate your …uneducated opinion. He made a SACRIFICE for his country. What have you done? If your going to bash the American way of life, I invite you to go ahead and leave. One more thing, the REVOLUTIONARY WAR gave YOU the right to sit here and spout your bullshit. That's a war that was worth "it".See More
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    James Altucher ‎@Jen, what should the disclaimer be? Its an article about war.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personAmela Avdic likes this.
    #
    Carla Cappiello Golden ‎"Poor and working people in this country are sent to kill poor and working people in another country to make the rich, richer…"
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 2 peopleJames Altucher and Amela Avdic like this.
    #
    James Altucher ‎@Chris, when is it necessary? How do we decide in advance? Most of the US thought Iraq was necessary. How come Stalin and Mao, who together killed over 100 million, weren't "necessary". Necessary is impossible to know in advance. And by the time something seems necessary its often too late. 6mm died in germany before we decided it was necessary.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    James Altucher ‎@Michelle, who has kept me safe? The soldiers are heroes. Nobody doubts that. But the politicians that send 18 year olds in to do horrible horrible things are not keeping me safe.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 2 people2 people like this.

16. elephantjournal says:

James Altucher ‎@Michelle, instead, by destroying Iraq I feel the politicians have put my life and my children's lives at great danger. I moved 65 miles north of NYC, in part, as a result.
    4 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personAmela Avdic likes this.
    #
    Christopher Saxton James the questions should be this. If the Chinese landed in your country/state/city…"you get the picture", and they started killing everyone that they encountered. When they got to your home, with your family and loved ones inside, would you grab a gun, knife or stick and defend yourself and family, or would you meditate or run, what would you do? I would defend my family at all cost.
    3 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    James Altucher ‎@Chris, i'm not going to engage in that question. It has no answer. Why don't you email me after the "chinese" land in your backyard and tell me what you do.
    3 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personRachel Kluges likes this.
    #
    Christopher Saxton Your answer is no answer at all…..Take a stance!!!! I'm an Iraq Vet and I've pulled the trigger. I know what I would do!!
    3 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    James Altucher You're a hero and I'm not. I'll give them jobs.
    3 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Jessica Loyd Thank you for that. I feel it was very brave of you to write that article. That is pretty much the way I feel about war, but have been too afraid to say it. I have family members who are military and they are heroes, but at some point I feel "patriotism" is war mongering.

#
    Jen Smith I understand that it's an article about war, but just a disclaimer that there are a few graphic pics would be helpful to those that can't really deal with war-related pics, like the bloody kid.
    3 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Bill Ferrin The Japanese killed 9 million people prior to entering WWII. The nazis killed 9 million during WWII. The Rwandans killed 800,000 in six weeks. The Cambodians killed 2 million. Sometimes, somebody has to do something even if you dont want to be the one to do it. That is whats known as a luxury problem….should you join the ones who are trying to stop evil, just enjoy the fact that they did it.

#
    James Altucher Ok, well, nobody did anything about those numbers you said above. There was nothing we could do. And then what happened to the 20mm Stalin killed and 20-100mm Mao killed. Where does it stop? I'm happy if I don't have luxury problems

John Wade
    Hey James, I like how you 'whatevered' over "other wars". Specifically Afghanistan, if you recall we were attacked first. 2500 Americans ring any bells? Gee sorry you hear bagpipes in remembrance of fallen soldiers, sorry they don't have a …memorial day for writers. I am under no illusions that Jim wilkinson lied to the public on behalf of the president about WMD and the agenda in Iraq, Hell I disagree with Iraq and I've been there, same as Afghanistan. I think the key issue here is reverence and tolerance of which you have neither. I'm with Voltaire on this where I disagree with what you say, but I have sworn my oath to the constitution and I will go to war for your right to say it. Your mockery and disrespect for wounded and dead American soldiers is disgusting, and I am surprised your hateful intolerance is published in the Elephant Journal.-
    Veteran
    #
    Amela Avdic James Altucher, you are one of the smartest people I know of… Great article!

17. Janet says:

Not only do I disagree with the premise of this post but find the sentiment a slap in the face to all that have died in war. Sorry that Memorial Day was such a burden for you.

"We only went in there after the war was already lost. We didn’t help anyone." Are you kidding me. How ignorant and offensive.

18. dan says:

War is I think the result of a collective failure to share our needs and recognize humans as equals. Desperation is always an expression of failure. That our desperate failures are "worth it" only shows the very low state we revel in.
    There is no defense of war. What people are defending here is the fight to end war- thus the line is about WW2, the "justifiable" war, the one desperately waged to end war. People who bombed cities and killed other soldiers were doing awful things regardless of whose "side" they were on- "hero" is always in the eye of the beholder. The only "good" to come out of WW2 was the Nuremberg trials, which the US mocks again and again, with the street justice brought on Saddam (with no trial for his crimes against the Kurds), and of course bin Laden, but also with extraordinary rendition, endless detention, "extrajudicial" (read: illegal, above the law) surveillance, and of course other "extrajudicial" killings.
    Our present wars are not ones waged to end a war but to keep them going. Why such heated defense of our worst natures?

19. john wade says:

Janet thankyou, I agree wholeheartedly with you, frankly this author is not only a whiner about Memorial day but also a coward, as he doesn't stand for anything except himself, he even admits moving outside of NY because he felt his family was in danger, I think NY doesnt need him, Rudy Guiliani and the real Americans in NY stayed planted and didnt let terrorists make them change their habits or their addresses-
    veteran

20. Kevin says:

Ask the survivors of the Nazi death camps whether WW II was worth it. What a spoiled, self centered human being. How shameful that this was posted on this blog site.

21. Jay says:

I’m going to assume you’re American. The Revolutionary war wasn’t worth it?
    Also, you could argue about unnecessary loss of life, but it’s as if the world doesn’t have enough people dying of starvation. Without war being a quasi-population control, more people would be well below the poverty line and dying from a even greater lack of resources.
    I guess since you seem to have the answer, how about you share it with the world? Blogging can release your anger, but it isn’t going to fix anything.

22. facepalm says:

I am not even going to touch any of the wars mentioned because there is only one that was worth it. The Revolutionary War. I am not going into disputes over reasons or mistakes or even a philosophical debate over ends justifying the means. The point is that if it was not for the Revolutionary War we would not be a country. We would not have a Declaration of Independence which states all men are created equal. We would not have had the opportunity to draft the Constitution years later that grants each and every person in the United States of America the right to free speech to write odd thoughts on the internet about anything including this asinine back and forth about war and its badness/goodness/why are we even debating the past that we cant change; but you bet your ass you have the right to.

23. American says:

That article is appalling and disgraceful. Not only is it filled with historical inaccuracies, but it is tasteless and extremely offensive. How dare you exploit that veteran by posting his wedding picture. You have no idea what he stands for and no idea what he believes in. Typical of someone like you…expressing your views so “matter of factly” and thinking as though everyone depicted in your article feels, or should feel the same way. How dare you represent him in this way! You are a sorry excuse for an American…

No war worth fighting huh? How about the Revolutionary War?…a war that gave you the right to express your hideous views. Or the Civil War?…a war that was fought to end slavery and provide liberty to every man.

24. ballsdeep24 says:

The fact that you can write a piece like this and not worry about being censored or worse is a testament to the freedoms protected by our military throughout the years. Your opinion is valuable. I disagree with it. God bless America.

25. […] retreat who was quite a piece of work. He was in his late fifties and built like a barrel. A Vietnam vet and recovered alcoholic, he told the same stories again and again. He was often the only man in a […]

26. NotSoSure says:

Ok people, lets stick to a critique of the post and stop with calling the author names. All ad hominem attacks are always pointless. This post is absolutely the least informed,and frankly, ridiculous post I have ever read on EJ. And the all posts he made in defense of the original are even more ridiculous.

But please do not think this post gives anyone the right to judge his character. I have enjoyed previous posts by Mr. Altucher in the past. He has a wry and self deprecating sense on humor which I personally find very enjoyable.

Please stick to critiquing the post
    OR
    Please chill the fuck out and stop calling him names.

27. Robert says:

You used that Marine's wedding day picture for shock effect. What a disgrace. You have no code. None.

28. Kris Nelson says:

JA –

I wonder if you thought all this would happen when you wrote your post? I've read your other work and this is by far the seemingly most unconsidered post you've published. It doesn't read well and your bastardization and simplification of history doesn't seem thoughtful. I wonder if this is what you intended? I wonder if you even thought about it?

One thing seems to be true, your capacity to start a raving conversion and your capacity for moral relativism are both astonishing.

I don't agree with your post. I feel that all of our human and social experiences are complex, and war is certainly incredibly complex. I don't like how you simplified this complex issue, went on a one sided tyrannical rant, and perpetuate the conversion with comments of greater offense.

I wonder if you've considered the people that you've truly hurt with this post, and in doing so, in certain terms, completely goes against everything you stand for in this post. Whoever said "when you write about war you start a war" was right. How do you like the war you started? Was it worth it?

You bring up and interesting point: War in retrospect is deemed moral/just or immoral/unjust, and we can't be clear proceeding war. For most, I think, pre-action is judged on intent; post-action is judged on outcome.

We for the most part hate Iraq because we judge the intent as a lie and the result as a failure. The loss was not worth the intent or the outcome. (You're a business guy, this should make sense).

We stand for WWII because the intent was judged as noble (though perhaps delayed) and the outcome was successful. In a sense, it was worth the sacrifice.

I wonder, other than disliking memorial day (which to me doesn't have much to do with war but instead the people that fought and the families that sacrificed), what was your intent for the war you've started? Is it worth it? And our the outcomes worth the sacrifice?

I have certainly posted my share of flippant and aggravating posts. Especially the Hummer article (which was really an article about spiritual materialism first and the environment second) and the Osama article (which was really an article about mindfulness and my observations of myself and our culture). I have pissed people off. I sort of like pissing people off. And I have a point to make when I piss people off. And I hope my points are well considered. And I am happy to admit when I've perhaps screwed up.

Are you arguing at this point to continue arguing? Are you arguing at this point because you don't want to be wrong?

How's the war, ol'boy?

29. Robert says:

The Marine in the picture, his name is Ty Zeigel. Google him. I wonder how he would feel knowing you are using his picture like this. http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2007/03/10/berm

30. Colin Wiseman says:

Sorry my mistake. I made a boo boo by calling it the Internet when I mean the World Wide Web (which is known colloquially as the internet these days).

Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web. Look him up. The Americans invented the internet – at the time called ARPANET, which was (oh this is good) founded by DARPA part of the US Department of Defence to help basically go to war 😀 But what could be taken from this, is if Tim Berners Lee hadn't invented HTML, the Word Wide Web would be what it is today…and you can thank the Europeans for that. And you can thank America for building a system to help them go to war to be the core of the internet today.

So can we agree, that Europeans have done 1 good thing? But let's not talk about the Scottish inventing TV, the Germans inventing the computer, the Scottish discovering penicillin in 1928 – ok pre WWII but still a biggie, but first time it saved a man's life was during WWII, 1943 the Swiss invented LSD, Jacques Cousteau invented the aqualung, Dennis Gabor for inventing holograms…am giving up here cause I just used Google to come up with these, so what did the Europeans ever do for the? That. And all that was during a war so wars are good for inventions.

And sorry you didn't like the "Anon" bit, my browser remember the wrong settings 😀 Stupid computers and stupid internet 😀

31. Heather says:

Yes, I wonder also Robert how that soldier feels about using his photo this way but then this site uses provocative photos all the time to get traffic to this site. This is the perfect sleezy storm of bad taste.

32. wbtphdjd says:

Grossly ahistorical, a killing flaw for an essayist making what is quintessentially a historical argument. At best, the title should be "Name me a single 20th century war that was worth it." The author singularly fails to consider the Civil War, arguably necessary to end slavery, or the American Revolution, unless the author would prefer to be an English colony still. Better evidence for the author's argument, such as it is, would come from Europe's wars of religion in the aftermath of the Reformation. Europeans killing each other over what flavor of Christian to be? Can you say, "pointless"? I knew you could. Please, raise the standard.

33. JamesAltucher says:

I think the war in the Bhavagad Gita was pointless. it was cousins arguing with each other. And so tens of thousands more had to pay the price. I prefer to think of the Gita as a metaphor for surrender to Vishnu / Krishna than as any kind of advocacy for war.

34. JamesAltucher says:

Sasha, thank you. What's interesting to me is you present a reasoned view: i.e. war is a travesty, and yet your comment was voted to a "-2". I really don't understand the anger some people have.

35. Caroline says:

This has been the most intellectually insulting, peace of absolute crap I have had the displeasure of reading. I will not bother pointing out the historical errors because plenty of others already have. I'm assuming you were trying to inject humor in your non humorous topic, when you stated you would go to war with Canada for lower oil prices. Just though I'd let you know we Canadians pay more for our own oil than you American pay, so I think that war maybe pointless just like your writing. I'm not a promoter of war but I'm not a promoter of ignorance either.

36. carlos says:

Search: Report from Iron Mountain.
    This report seems to be an effort to determine the possibility of a world without war.
    According to this report, it seems that war serves the purposes of holding the very fabric of out civilization together.
    Meaning, that we are shaped, moulded , controlled and manipulated for purposes which are not revealed. Profit? Power? Certainly, we seem to be a digit within a calculation for someone……