The right way to react to the killing of Osama bin Laden? ~ Jay Buchanan

Via on May 2, 2011

…is your way.

The below comes via a longtime pal of mine, tonight, who offered this sentiment as part of one of countless crowded, righteous conversations and arguments about how to properly celebrate, or not celebrate, Osama bin Laden’s death. I thought it important, worth sharing, and simply beautiful. ~ ed.

I would pray that we could all choose to stay as far from letting our reactions, feelings, and emotions about this whole event polarize us even more.
Some people celebrate because they feel this signifies an evil leaving this earth, or a victory, or even revenge.
Others stay quiet and morn.
Some people choose not to care at all.
While others make it a joke.
Nobody is wrong. I truly think that a huge lesson can be learned by something like this, in that, basic goodness can prevail. We can trust each other’s basic goodness. This doesn’t even have to be about opinions at all. It is human nature to react to things that happen in our surroundings, and our connections have become vast due to the internet.
But that does not make anyone else wrong. I respect everyone at this time, and always.
~ Jay Buchanan

About elephant journal

14 Responses to “The right way to react to the killing of Osama bin Laden? ~ Jay Buchanan”

1. I find it hard to rejoice in the death of any being. Even one who has caused so much suffering to others. He was someone's son, their child. I hope his death brings relief to those who need it.

2. Joel says:

Hey, Jay! Your head's on crooked. Oh, wait! It's just your hat. Never mind.

3. [...] quick to judge reactions of others, myself and the media, but I’m not entirely sure what the “right” reaction should [...]

4. elcarg says:

Boy, I have been having to use this quote on people from both sides of the aisle today. My yoga friends pushing the MLK quote so much that I almost feel guilty, while my southern friends from back home are pumping up Bush and coming up with conspiracies. It is all good though, and I've settled in on not worrying too much about other's thoughts.

• Jay Buchanan says:

I completely relate… Coming from Boulder and having the kind of connections I have made here, and then having family in Texas and Northern California.. I have gotten all aspects of this thrust at me. I actually have a problem with the MLK quote being used so intensively in this matter. I think using quotes, especially quotes by dead people who cannot confirm or deny the accurateness of it being used out of context is dangerous business. MLK wasn't talking about this situation at all when he said that, and I think it's unfair to assume HE would want it to apply. Thanks for your input. A close friend of mine posted this to her Facebook page this morning

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never validate the source." – Abraham Lincoln

This really captured exactly how I feel about that.

• Jay Buchanan says:

I apologize for the repeated reply.

5. Karma Donyol says:

"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword." I don't think buddhism is really about not judging it is about coping with dukkha, coping with the fact that life doesn't go "the way you want it." We can develop karuna and sympathise with the feelings of our enemies and still make the judgement that killing them is more important than being karmicly pure.Enlightenment is not about collecting merit like tokens at the garage. That leads to heavenly rebirth not enlightenment.

6. samgeppi says:

"Can we please take this time to look upon every reaction, and every person, as having his or her own heart truth, basic goodness, and right to feel and react in their own way?"

Sure, does that include Osama bin Laden?,… or is he just an "evil leaving this Earth?"

"Anything else and we have all fallen into the shadows, where everything is black or white. Life is good, and however you look at it, you are absolutely right for you."

7. Jay Buchanan says:

Doug I really appreciate your insight. I am curious what kind of teaching you do? I would love to come hear you talk sometime if that's something you do. I think you understand my point exactly and it means alot you have taken the time to converse with me on this level. Thank you so much.

8. Doug_K says:

Hi Jay,

I teach hatha yoga, traveling quite a bit. My site is http://www.DoYoga.com. I'm with you on this — thanks!