Awesomely Manly Canadians singing sadly in a kitchen.

Via on Aug 10, 2011

Stan Rogers Barrett’s Privateers

Now I’m a broken man on a Halifax Pier.

Manly bearded Maritimin’ pre-internet Nova Scotian awesomeness. Can’t say I never did nothing for you:

YouTube Preview Image

PS: Trungpa Rinpoche, a great Buddhist meditation teacher, loved this stuff. Perhaps it’s why he moved the center of his sangha (community) to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Click here for much more heartfelt heartbroken heartbrave awesomeness I collected together awhile back.

About Waylon Lewis

13 Responses to “Awesomely Manly Canadians singing sadly in a kitchen.”

1. JinpaG says:

Absolutely Brilliant! Thank you thank you thank you. Damn fine looking men, even if it was 40-some years ago (or whenever this was recorded)! The song may be saddish, or frustration-filled, but, they don't seem a bit sad … rather vibrant and awake!

2. John says:

I may not be manly, but I'm definitely broken! Thanks for the magnificent, if disorienting, video.
    John in Halifax

3. krile says:

This totally made my morning. Long before I ever imagined becoming a Buddhist, I saw these guys at the "Main Point" in Bryn Mawr outside of Philadelphia around 1980. Their fire drove me to transfer to Nova Scotia College of Art and Design for an exchange semester from my art local school. In 1994 I married a Nova Scotian. Found Pema's writings and then CTR's in 1993. I had no idea whose footsteps I was following.

4. Steve says:

Thanks Waylon,, If anyone is up for more of the same; live, foot stomping tunes of the like check out the Stan Rogers Folk festival, held the first weekend of July in Canso, Nova Scotia. A couple of the guys in the video are uesually performing.

5. Mary Yamada says:

YouTube didn't close caption. Would have been nice.

6. [...] tomatoes in Kensington market, bike helmet in hand. With a guitar, harmonica, his foot stomping: belting out Stan Rogers on a campaign bus through the endless north. He had the uncrafted rhythm of every hopeful music. [...]

7. lurkitty says:

First heard Paul Gross sing this on Due South. This song made me go out and find every Stan Rodgers CD I could lay hands on.This was before iTunes and Amazon. Sweet video!

8. [...] Put on a favorite song and sing it out, like we mean it. @waylonlewis: Instagram. elephant tote bag, side one. Organic, Made in [...]

9. I actually toured, on an educational expedition, most of Newfoundland, including some of the far-North islands – Fogo and Tilting come to mind – and this was how it was.

It was considered rude to knock on a door – you never went to the front of a house. You opened the side (kitchen) door and said "Allo!" and were promptly invited in for tea. If it was early in the day, the kids or grandkids had to come out and dance; if it was later, libations were provided, neighbors with instruments showed up and a kitchen dance was held. More nights than not.

Real, community, joyful and then someone would hit a real tear-jerker and the room would stop, except for the click of knitting needles from the Grans.

thanks, nice flashback, forgot how fortunate I was and how much cod we ate.

10. JinpaG says:

Roger, what is the "all this" you are referring to in your last sentence there? All what arises from Boston, MA? Great bits of historical context on Celtic Radio and related radio programming up there in Halifax … and elsewhere, I suppose.

~ gabrielle

11. JinpaG says:

Ahh … Sherbrook … it's around Boston, MA? So, you mean the story of the privateers, that is a manufactured tale? I love the lyrics this gent came up with. Any idea when this video was made?

12. JinpaG says:

I'm confusing my questions, Rog. I get that the story was manufactured by the lyricist. My only question was about
    what was "emanating from Boston, MA," and with the place name of Sherbrook in the song, I was guessing you meant the story … but perhaps you meant more than that. (Also, the only word I meant to italicize in my reply to you was the word "what" … just didn't format correctly when italicizing … ok, more than enough explanation here ……)