If You Were the Publisher … What Would You Publish? (Open Blogging)

Via on Aug 10, 2011
Sexy Yoga Pants
Did you read this because of the picture? Does it bother you that this trick works?

Our Open Blogging Community got a little tense last round. There were a lot of opinions flying around about the content, photos and focus here on Elephant Journal. While it is easy to criticize what someone else is doing, it is often harder to think of a better way. So, here’s the challenge: Tell me what you would publish if you were the publisher. What would you focus on?

Is it about taking on the biggest, most important topics?

Is it about increasing readership because, after all, you need a lot of reader if those big, important articles are going to reach anyone at all?

Is it about simply letting the conversation out, or should Elephant be more selective about who writes and what is published?

Would you use sexy, eye-catching images to bring people to your articles?

Tell us what you would publish. And, if you have something you think is deserving of publishing, point us in that direction. It is your change to play writer, editor and publisher this week. Who is up to the challenge?

Share your blog or thoughts in the comments section below. Thoughtful blogs will be featured as independent articles in Elephant Yoga. Have at it !

About Open Yoga Blogging Community

Welcome to Elephant's Open Yoga Blogging Community where you can write whatever you like, and others can comment. Elephant writer Bethany Eanes has generously agreed to serve as discussion moderator. 1) Write your own blogs as comments here. If you already have a blog, you are welcome to cut and paste your best blogs here. 2) To subscribe and get e-mail notices, write a comment or reply, choosing to get e-mail notification for either just replies to that comment, or to all comments. 3) Register with Intense Debate and enter your bio, photo, and links there. This will appear in a pop-up when a reader mouses over your photo. 4) We will excerpt the best entries and discussions in the next week’s Community Blog. Some will become Elephant Yoga articles. --Bob W. Yoga Editor

25 Responses to “If You Were the Publisher … What Would You Publish? (Open Blogging)”

1. yogiclarebear says:

con…

My honest opinion is that EJ seems random and cluttered sometimes. There are so many categories! All those cities that are so far away from me. (Again, just me.) I think this is really a personal thing, all the categories stress me out. LOL! So I don't really have a point other than pointing it out…

What is the FOCUS of EJ? Is it a yoga blog engine or…a HuffPost everything blog?

EJ gives a fabulous platform for all perspectives, and that is so important and appreciated. What scares me is that it IS an engine…and as the "About" page states, again: elephantjournaldotcom is your guide to what we like to call ‘the mindful life’. How can we have offer mindful EJ, so the engine doesn't rev past the redline?? Does it need to reconnect with its roots?

• yogiclarebear says:

con…

As far as the "is it" questions above…overall I would say integrity trumps readership, sexy images, topic, and author choices. What is the definition of integrity? That is up to the publisher and the authors! :)

I PERSONALLY would love to see more yoga articles, asana stuff, teachers connecting, sharing, etc. Music and the arts, and spirituality and sciences interest me. Just my ½ cent! Thanks for opening it up here…

~Clare Polencheck

2. Eric says:

More A & T since that is what you do best. The writing is sub par for the most part. Maybe just drop the pretense that this site is all mindful and stuff.

3. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Assoc. Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

4. Daniel says:

I've found more insightful atricles as oppossed to enticing photos here on EJ.
    From dietary perspectives to practical insight on being a modern day practioner,
    saddled with everyday practicalities of daily life.
    Combined wit often some edgy social issues that would not have come to my
    awareness had I not been looking at EJ., and specifically Candice Garret and Lynn Johnson Hasselberger.
    Of course everything is awork in progress and i love irreverenmce in my life frankly I need it
    so an honest mix of tongue in cheek to emis in all actuality a refreshing way to make a point.
    I also appreciate that it brings a a way of living into many areas that are otherwise seemingly unaffected by a spirtual
    path perspective including camping humor etc

5. Gayle says:

So tired of yoga culture…so tired of lululemon butts…so tired of b.s.
    As for EJ the joke about the blind men and the elephant comes to mind. EJ certainly feels like it was designed, edited, and produced by committee. There doesn't seem to be a strong point of view or editorial voice. Too many faces in too many places. And too much content of questionable taste.
    This could be fixed…but you'd have to stop thinking about the numbers so much.

6. Gayle says:

As for what I'd publish? A weekly round-table of spiritual teachers talking about a current event. One poem every day. Original visual content. A dharma cartoon.
    A weekly column that would take folks through study of the Lojong Slogans…these are some things I'd like to see.

7. maxzografos says:

With regards the picture question, I'm not sure if it works. Not after the first time at least. I think elephant journal can and will grow readership in a sustainable way, without resorting to tricks.

Also, speaking as a young writer, I'd say that giving voice to as many writers as possible is a good thing. Assuming quality is monitored of course.

Thanks for the great work and community!

8. Marylee Fairbanks Marylee says:

I think EJ. Should rise above cheap titles and salacious photographs. That stuff is everywhere and its so easy to put F… in the title and get hits. I like the idea of EJ being a place to escape all that.

9. Chadwick says:

The photo on this post says it all about this site. How about a daily naked yogini posted in the yoga section?

10. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

11. Maybe the new ej slogan should be
    "Come for the boobs, stay for the mindfulness…"

I think to be true to the idea of the "7 blind men describing the elephant" elephant journal must be many different things. None of us are just our minds any more than we are just our bodies. None of us are just about sex any more than we are just about spirituality. None of us are just one thing. What I love about this site is the variety of perspectives with a common underlying vision of making the world a better place.

That said…I wrote this on compassion last week…we are not just one thing. Even the people in our lives that seem 2-dimensional to us contain multitudes…

namaste, motherf*ckers;)

12. Tanya Lee Markul tanya lee markul says:

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

13. Yogini5 says:

It's a class act, but it is mostly about yoga, meditation and seva. I like to have an alternative to HuffPo. Elephant has the potential to be one, class act or not.

14. yogiclarebear says:

I'm liking your call for more "mindfulness" meditation stuff sans super-spirituality. :)