The Urge to Purge. Feng Shui Advice.

Via on Aug 17, 2011

Via Daily Transformations

We’ve all had glimpses of this on the first warm spring day when we throw our windows open and look around our homes suddenly noticing the winter clutter that’s accumulated over the cold months.  But what about the constant clutter that creeps up on us during the daily ins and outs of life?

Not a clutterholic?  I’m still betting that you’ve got your share of excess so stay with me and let me know what you think when you’re done reading.

Clutter is not only bad for your health, but it blocks your prosperity.  There’s literally no room for new energy. I can almost guarantee that if my client is overweight or having money troubles, there is a source of clutter and excess in their life.

The first thing I share with my feng shui clients is to go through every room and fill a bag.  Yes~a whole bag and give, sell or recycle its contents.

Clutter and holding on to things is a big fat sign to the universe that you don’t believe you’ll have the resources to replace or buy it when you need it.  Holding on “just in case” sends a strong signal of poverty consciousness.  Someone out there can use what you’re not using and might really need it.  Trusting that when you realize you must have widget A to use with widget B; you’ll be able to buy it sends a signal of trust.  Holding on to your “just in case” items that you haven’t used in years sends a signal of fear.

Excess items block the energy from flowing in your home.  Ever wonder why you feel so relaxed on vacation or at a spa?  The rooms are sparse and functional.

Let’s start with your bedroom:

Go through all of your drawers and closet.  If you haven’t worn something in 2 years, you’re never going to wear it.  I promise.  If you haven’t loved it enough to find a match or accessory to make it work, you don’t love it enough to keep it.    Studies have shown that we all wear the same 11 outfits week after week anyways.  Less is truly, the new more.  When we have less, we tend to mix and match and get creative.  If you stand in your closet not sure what to wear in the morning, it’s a sign that you have too much.

Sheets and Bed:  If you’re like most people, you’ve replaced sheets but not thrown the old ones away.  If you’re having trouble letting go, think of homeless people that don’t have any, and then drop them off at a local donation site.  Blankets?  Same thought process.  I recently noticed I had 3 down comforters and I’m not a pack rat.  One of those is being donated this week.  Sure it was expensive, but I’m not using it and the idea of someone out there being cold at night gives me the strength to say goodbye.

There should be nothing under your bed, period.  Shoes stored under there? Get a behind the door rack. The energy needs to flow so you can get a good night’s sleep.

Now the bath:  How many half used jars and bottles do you have under that sink and in your closets?  I get a cheap thrill out of using the last of something before allowing myself to buy another.  Make up?  Do we really need all of it?  Same rule as your clothing.  If you haven’t used it, lose it.  Towels have the same rule as sheets.  Get rid of the old ones when you buy the new ones.  Go through your medicine cabinet and throw out expired products and your “just in case” items.  Remember to trust that if you need some medicine, you’re going to be able to afford it rather than keep expired products that could be dangerous.

Your office: Consider having 6 pens and no more.  Buying pens and paper can be a habit like any other.  Go through your piles of paper and either file them, transfer the data somewhere else, or recycle them.  Business cards accumulating?  Spend a rainy sunday afternoon and transfer the data and then throw them away!  Go through your books and donate the ones you’ll never read again.  Some reference books and books that you love to read over and over should be kept.  But let’s face it; you don’t need to keep your Office 04 for Dummies when it’s 2011.  I actually found a farmer’s almanac from 1994 the other day.

Your kitchen:  Like the bath, the kitchen can be a place where half empty bottles collect as we buy new items.  Go through you refrigerator and get rid of the duplicate bottles of condiments.  I’m notorious for letting herbal remedy bottles collect.  Old dishes that aren’t sentimental but are beat up and chipped?  Donate them.  You’ll be surprise by how good you feel when you toss all of those plastic cups and mismatched coffee cups.    Tupperware cabinet?  You know what to do~

Now my thoughts on gifts and sentimental items:  If someone gives you a gift, it is yours to do what you want with it.  If you don’t love it, keep the memory of the person but donate the gift to someone that might love it.  Things you don’t love in your home and your closet wear down your energy.  Keeping your children’s toys well past the time they’re grown doesn’t make you closer to them.  Much better to give those toys and clothes away to families in need and enjoy the time you’d spend walking around those boxes and creating room in your garage or basement playing with your kiddos instead.

Trust me.  Clutter weighs you down whether you realize it or not.  Grab a friend or a coach to give you courage and go for it.  Once you start, you’ll be hooked on the feelings of freedom that come, and I promise, those feelings are worth it!

xo

~photo credits.  Toilet by glogster.com.  Closet by apartmenttherapy.com.  Bed by simplybeds.com.  Bath by homeandfurniture.com.  Clutter by whoiseleni.com.  Bag by theofficedealer.com

About Tamara Star

Tamara Star believes happiness is not an end destination, but instead the ability to see the ordinary through eyes of wonder. If you let her, she'll show you how to take the life you're living and turn it into a life you'll love. Want more free scoop? Click here to subscribe to her mailing list. She's an international best selling author, life coach, and the creator of the original 40-day Personal reboot program for women--a 6 week virtual deep dive into clearing the slate on what's blocking you from living a life you love. Find the description here. Tamara Star's global reach inspires women around the world through her programs, newsletters and teachings. Connect with Tamara on her websiteFacebook or Twitter. Tamara's work had been featured on The Huffington Post, Positively Positive, The News.com Australia, Blog Her, The Good Men Project, Yoga Mint, The Elephant Journal, Twine Magazine, Eat, Drink, Explore Radio, Think Simple Now, Boulder Life, BOLD radio, and Yoga Anonymous.

33 Responses to “The Urge to Purge. Feng Shui Advice.”

1. Cynthia says:

2. ardha chandra says:

sorry that a negative image of "purging" is accompanying this positive article.

3. Emily says:

done anything about that closet full of high heels yet?

4. I needed that! Now… who's gonna help me?

5. hayley says:

yeah… awesome post… but very disturbing and unnecessary photo of a bulimic….

• Tamara says:

please see below hayley

• silver says:

I was surprised at your comment so scrolled back up to the picture and now I'm really surprised. I wouldn't even consider that girl skinny, much less bulimic! Judging by her arms and middle, I would say that I have been skinnier than her most of my life and have a pretty darn healthy appetite and no eating disorder whatsoever.

6. Jennifer says:

Nice article, but the casual reference to a serious, sometimes life threatening disease, bulimia, in the accompanying photo seems irresponsible.

7. Brent Binder drbinder says:

More than Excellent, Tamara.

Posting to Elephant Wellness on Facebook.

8. Rick Gilbert says:

great article of good reminders. about expired meds: the disposal advice is ok (especially the part about not flushing them), the best disposal is to return expired meds to pharmacies and other locations that accept them. not that many do so far, and the pharmaceutical industry is fighting those of us who are trying to put them on the hook for properly disposing of their unused products. call your lawmakers to support pharmaceutical industry-funded take back.

clutter is way harder to relate to when you're married and have young children. It's a battle I wage on a daily basis!

9. elephantjournal says:

#
    Jenny Diehl Interesting!!
    8 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Cynthia Beard Great tips. Donations and recycling are obvious solutions to clutter, but there is one more really important thing. If disposing of medications (over-the-counter, prescription, and herbal), please, please do so responsibly through a medication recycling program. Otherwise, there is a risk that these medications will end up in the water supply, which is *not* healthy for any of us. Thank you for this useful article!
    7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 2 peopleLoading…
    #
    Marina Maroulakis great article.
    7 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Elaine French I have done some of this, but need to do an awful lot more.
    7 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Stephanie Potter And the perfect time of year to be looking at this. yes
    6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Janelle Swearingen Scribner OMy! this sure speaks to me today… Thanks!
    2 hours ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Rick Gilbert great tips, but I clicked on the article in spite of the tasteless lead photo, and not because of it. my best friend has a VERY young daughter battling an eating disorder–it's not an image to throw around carelessly.
    53 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
    #
    Elizabeth G Gisler thank you tamara, let's hang out sometime

10. betterdeal says:

Great article and I like the photo – it's a yin yang thing. Everything is like a surgeon's scalpel: good in the right hands / terrible in the wrong ones.

11. [...] five elements don’t need to be represented in every single room in your home. This is ridiculous, and also exhausting to try and execute. Elements in real Feng Shui represent [...]

12. Annie says:

I'd say that if your dishes are chipped, not to donate them but to toss them. If you don't want them, what makes you think another person would.

• appleseed says:

We sometimes use our chipped dishes for planter bases, and there are many art projects that turn old to new, mosaics, etc. Many artists and gardeners will use old dishes ;) I have a friend with a professional grade rock tumbler who breaks old glass and ceramic up, refines it into usable mosaic pieces, and even adds the 'dust' to his mortar.

13. Laurie says:

Annie, in the days when I was supporting my 4 little kids alone, chipped dishes were just fine with me. If I wonder whether what I am donating is "good enough" I let the second hand store decide. They can throw it away as well as I can and have a better handle on what is still useful than I do.
    And Tamara, FWIW, I didn't notice the bulimia reference.

14. Laura says:

Me neither, Laurie. :) something about the name! Tamara, thank you for this reminder. Just went through and bagged up 5 loads of clothes this weekend, time to hit the bookshelves. Sob… But I am focusing on the positive feelings. And I can always make a list of must-reads to check out at the library!!

15. @Dr_Voll says:

Thank you for the encouragement, I am always looking to refine and purge and create new abundance. I sell a lot locally online with a mom-swap page. The part I am stuck on is bills/receipts/taxes/important docs/paperwork/etc, it all feels so important and I have no idea why I still have it all and how I can filter and keep only what is necessary. Also old notes from classes, conventions, brochures, etc. I look at it and try to organize and then get more overwhelmed and walk away! Stuck!

16. Thea says:

I'm all for going through my things and giving away what I'm not using, but to say that we're holding on to "just in case" items out of fear or distrust is a little too close for comfort for me. I did grow up in somewhat poverty and I still don't have enough to give away a "just in case" item then have to re-buy it when the time comes around to needing it..I would much rather still have the item (this has occurred on many occasions, where I'm thankful for hanging on to something). I am also creative with using those old chipped plates, old sheets for locker hooking rugs and picture cards for kids collaging, etc., so I believe more in Reducing the buying consumption in the first place, Reusing items for future projects, and lastly Recycling what's not being used or used until it no longer functions for anyone's use!

17. Jackie says:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to motivate a teenager to clean his/her room? I can say for sure telling him/her a messy room is blocking prosperity and is bad for his/her health will not work in most cases. It's not necessarily about holding onto things- it's more about time and effort. Most teenagers can compile a list of at least 30 things they would rather do than clean.

18. Donna says:

And how about the studies that show that messiness encourages creativity. People are so judgemental about disorder. I say, some people have their order on the outside. Some have it on the inside. Mine is on the inside.

19. DIY ~ Diversity in Yoga says:

While spring cleaning is great- I agree, i am disgusted by the idea that "if my client is overweight…" what does that even mean? and how judgmental without even knowing someone. and how sad to perpetuate a horrible stereotype. While the tips might be good, you lost me at the title. No excuse.

20. silver says:

You just got a new follower!

21. Amy says:

Prescription drugs should not be thrown in the trash… Search in your area for the proper way to dispose of them.