12 things to consider before breast implants.

Via on Aug 8, 2011

One woman’s view.

(1) Going under anesthesia is no joke. You could die. Let me say that again: you could die, even at the hands of a competent, board-certified surgeon. It is rare, but possible. If I found out I had to have major surgery, I would freak out. Do you willingly want to put yourself through that stress? Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are willing to die for fake tits.

(2) It will hurt. A lot. The intense pain and numbness around your breasts may last for days, weeks, months, years, or forever. Yes, forever. There is no way to predict how your individual body will react to this intrusion. Ouch!

perma bra breast

(3) Getting implants is like buying a new car. Cars don’t last forever, and neither do implants. Sometimes you get lucky and get ones that last for several years, but most implants do not last that long, even the expensive ones. Eventually, you will have to go back under the knife and face the risks (and pain) of surgery. Again.

(4) It is going to be ridiculously expensive. Budget out more than one surgery; the doctor may not get it right the first time, or there may be a complication after a few weeks. Also, you may want the implants removed someday, which is an additional cost. Insurance does not cover these costs. In addition, if you are not on a group insurance plan from your job and you are seeking individual insurance coverage post-surgery, you are probably screwed. Health insurance companies look at silicone breast implants as a “pre-existing” condition, and they will put you in the high-risk pool, thereby tripling the cost of your insurance.

(5) You may think people won’t judge you, but they will judge you. Fake boobs are something you will be silently judged for by both men and women. I’m not saying it’s right, but it will happen.

wired magazine breasts natural

(6) Attitudes change with time. If you are in your 20s, you will grow and mature beyond what you can imagine now when you near the age of 30. This is happening to me (again) as the big 4-0 looms around the corner next year. Attitudes are bound to change.

(7) You will get lots of attention based on your breasts. Duh. This is why you’re considering major surgery. But consider also that you want to be respected for your brilliant mind, too, not just your tits. It will be frustrating when you are perceived as a sex object and little more.

(8) Some implant cases are more understandable than others. If you’ve had a mastectomy or if you have a completely flat chest, like a 12 year old boy, for instance, implants may make you feel more womanly. They may. They may not.

(9) Not all men like fake boobs. In fact, it is a serious turn off for some because it says a lot about a woman’s self-esteem, which appears to be externally derived. You could meet that great guy, but alas, he may not be able to get beyond the idea that your boobs are fake. They feel different to the touch than natural breasts and could very well be a psychological barrier to building intimacy with your partner. Along with that, many guys don’t care about boob size, contrary to how the media portrays them.

(10) Look at your natural breasts, touch them, and try to perceive their beauty. If you are considering implants, you obviously do not see your natural breasts as beautiful. Ultimately, you want to replace them with ones you think will be more pleasing. If you look at images of women’s natural breasts from the past, you can take yourself out of the context of this era and see natural breasts as a thing of beauty and sexiness, regardless of size.

(11) Research by the National Cancer Institute has found that women with breast augmentation are more likely to die of brain cancer or lung cancer compared to other plastic surgery patients. Pretty self-explanatory.

(12) If you can’t stop thinking about fake boobs, consider refocusing your attention. When I find myself obsessing about an aspect of my body, such as my imperfect butt, I am not putting my attention where it needs to be in that moment. I was born and developed in a certain way, specifically designed to do certain work. Work that will save me, repeatedly.

For me, it is writing. Writing gives me the one-pointed focus that calms my mind and centers my thoughts. This focus allows me to produce great writing (sometimes), which actually puts my whole being at ease. This sense of ease emanates from a deep place, beyond the body.

When you consider something like getting breast implants, you are essentially taking your eyes off the prize in life. And you doom yourself to a body-centered existence that will make aging an even more difficult process, and you will constantly strive against it. All bodies age and perish; there is nothing to hold on to, as much as we try by using artificial methods such as breast implants.

What you really want and crave has nothing to do with anything outside of you. It is the source of your own enthusiasm and the pathway to peace on the inside.

About S.V. Pillay

S.V. Pillay is a former high school English teacher and current freelance writer in the great city of Chicago. She enjoys writing about religion, spirituality, art, endangered species, the environment, and social justice. She is American by birth (want to see her birth certificate?), South Indian by DNA, a student of yoga, and a proud Generation X’er. She prefers interactions with real human beings as opposed to social networking. And although she owns her share of MP3s, she still listens to records, tapes, and Cds. S.V. Pillay is currently working on her debut novel, a book of poetry, and a bunch of short stories. Click here to follow her on Twitter. Click here to read more stuff.

74 Responses to “12 things to consider before breast implants.”

1. Lynne Ryder says:

This is clearly an opinion piece and not investigative journalism. This woman is entitled to express her beliefs on the subject, just as she is entitled to author an article entitled 12 Things To Consider Before Becoming An Astrogeophysicist, though she may have no knowledge, scientific understanding, or new insights to bring to the table. That said, both breast augmentation and breast reduction are as serious a surgical procedure as any, and as such, deserve a better, more well-reasoned discussion than this poorly informed article. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Signed,

Writer, Breast Augmentation patient, 1998.

2. Florencia says:

I have breast implants and you demonstrate that you are completely ignorant about this topic. Every situation is different and you sound judgmental and uninformed. I thought about getting implants for ten years and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I did all my research and found an amazing surgeon. My breasts look and feel real, my husband did not know that they were fake, when I told him (after a few months of dating) he did not believe me. I did not suffer any pain, I did not even take pain medication after the surgery and started doing my regular life after two days. Not everybody needs to change them, my great-aunt is 94 years old and had breast enlargement in her early 40s. Never had them changed. You sound like a woman with a lot of anger and jealousy. I'm surprised your article was posted.

• Georgia says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. As a psychosomatic therapist by profession and proud owner of “fake tits”, I am completely disgusted at the lack of compassion and open mindedness this article has on this topic. Yes sure, inner peace, self love and seeing our own beauty is important. But in understanding the issues in the tissue of the physical body in relation to how we experience the world, sometimes the growth happens more powerfully working internally and externally in conjunction with one another.

From an emotional standpoint the surgery can be undertaken for reasons which come from deeply buried hurt from all sorts of issues from a very young age which cause underdeveloped breast tissue, oversized breasts and a myriad of other issues related to this area of the body. I realise if I had not been doing the work emotionally regarding these issues before and after my surgery I might have had a very different experience. But having this procedure in order to fill my heart with something other than bones and limited breath from a lifetime of under nurturing and self hate, along with feeling womanly and beautiful; can I just say what you have written here is deeply unfair. To say most of what you have without having gone through the procedure yourself, sounds ragingly judgemental.

Perhaps in future writing about things you know about from first hand experience or that you have well researched would be a better angle. Not everyone who has had breast augmentation is then forevermore noticed for their bra size, and not their brain. This was quite a sad article for me to read from one woman to another I’m sorry to say.

3. domesticpirate says:

After breastfeeding 4 children, I love what my breasts have done, but I no longer love the way they look. Now that we are done having children that is solely what my breasts will be for: aesthetics. I find full, perky breasts to be more attractive than flat, sagging ones; it's not something I can help, or change, it just is. I deserve to find myself attractive, and I know how to make it happen. People are constantly surrounding themselves with things that they find attractive: art in certain colors, blankets and rugs with luscious textures, clothing bearing bold patterns, vacations to stunning vistas. How is taking steps to make my body a temple I am attracted to (via piercings, tattoos, or implants) any different? My body is the only thing I am guaranteed to have until death.

4. Erica Leibrandt Erica says:

I got breast implants in my twenties. I am 6 feet tall and was an A, now a C. I didn't do it for great reasons– I was in an abusive relationship and my boyfriend pushed for it. However, now fifteen years later, I am healthy and happy– and really love my breasts! My insurance rate didn't go up, people appreciate my mind and spirit first and foremost, and I haven't had to undergo further surgeries. The subject of my implants never even comes up. It is something just my husband and I get to enjoy and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If people are judging me based on the fact of my implants as the author suggests, I don't know about it and even if I did, I don't care. To each his own. Blessings to all!

5. Myriadia says:

This piece is clearly written by someone with breasts she enjoys the appearance of and a good store of self-righteousness, without any care for checking facts or considering other points of view.

Most women, including myself, who get breast implants have excellent self-esteem, are very well researched and aware of all the risks and downsides. The have ultimately made a cost-benefit decision that the implants are more of a benefit for their own personal reasons.

Assuming no one who gets implants think their natural breasts are beautiful (some actually do, they just want larger ones – their own business), they must have low self-esteem, and that everyone wants the same "prize in life" speaks more to the author's preconceptions than any grounding in reality.

6. Bela says:

It's pretty clear that this article that implants are a trigger for you and it doesn't seem like you spent much time listening to the *many* reasons women get breast augmentations.

1) There are risks associate with any surgery but lets be real, most people survive it just fine. Car accidents, on the other hand…
    2) Two hours after surgery I went out for a smoothie with my mom at the public market and had a lovely time (of course, the drugs they gave me were what made it fun!). I never needed to take anything but Extra-Strength Tylenol after that though and I felt good, even had lunch with friends the next day. Some women experience pain, some don't.

3) This is true. They should be replaced every 10-15 years; I know a number of women who's implants are in great shape after 25+ years but it's not the norm or recommended shelf life.

4) Lots of things that we love are expensive (hello, $13,000 in Yoga TT for this girl!!). Don't buy them if you can't afford them.

5) People judge us for a ton of reasons and there's nothing I can do about it even if I wanted to. Should I take other people's potential judgements into consideration before I get dressed everyday? What a stressful way to live!

6) We change our minds about all sorts of things (ie tattoo's, marriages, buying a house etc) but we still have to keep making decisions in order to move forward in life. Some decisions turn out well, some don't!

7) Some women might get implants for "attention" but I don't find that is the usual reason and your statement is pretty catty. Most of the women I talk to just want to feel beautiful naked! If your breasts have melted into two skin flaps after breastfeeding or they've looked like a tennis ball in a tube sock your whole live you might feel less than stellar taking off your bra and that can take away from some of the pleasure of sex. My implants haven't turned me into a sex object. My students see me as their teacher, peer and friend not as a sex object, that's just silly.

8) I'm glad you find *some* breast implants more understandable than others, it's good of you to be so generous.

9) True, not all men like fake breasts. Then again, not all men like saggy small boobs either but I had boyfriends that loved me before and a boyfriend who loves me now. There are tons of reasons to like or not like me, boobs are just one of them. And honestly, did you just use "boys won't like you" as a manipulation tactic, really?

10) I looked at my breasts and tried to love them for 36 years. I really like small breasts actually but mine were not only small they also grew in saggy and stayed that way since puberty. They looked like I had breastfed 10 kids but I have none. No matter how much love I sent them (and I really did) they just made me feel sad so I stopped taking my bra off during sex. Now, I love my breasts for real, they are just splendid! It makes me smile just thinking about them :-)

11) What doesn't give you cancer these days? My health is pretty spectacular as is my mom's and she's had he implants for 30 years.

12) Sometimes when we feel good about our outsides it can create a sense of peace inside of us. If someone is "non-stop" thinking about anything they are out of balance but if they know what they want there is no reason not to get it.

7. karen katz says:

as an RN (and small breasted woman), I would beg women to please not get implants. I have taken care of cancer patients my whole career, and anything that would increase your cancer risk even a tiny bit, and is an elective procedure is something I am completely against. also, as the writer said, there is a very small but real risk of anesthesia complications, which can be serious to life threatening.

I have had many lovers in my life-male and female-they all loved my breasts, or at least pretended to!…..now at age 58, as everything physical begins its inevitable descent, my breasts are still pretty perky.

please ladies, unless you have had a mastectomy, or are completely lopsided, don't get implants.

8. buy adiphene says:

Still others work at the cellular level to initiate

healthy changes in our bodies. So, I know you are going to ask in desperation, is there any diet pill

that works fast and yet doesn’t need any prescription to buy it.

Then I took these dietary supplements and now Im again in shape.

9. sarah1001 says:

So many issues with this article. Yes, you ,may be judged for implants, just as you will be judged for having a flat chest. Humans observe, categorize and judge. Its going to happen, whether your breasts are natural or not. Yes, some men may not like them, just as some men may not like women with flat chests. Either way, no one is going to be everyone's cup of tea. So best advice is do what makes you happy, not because of what people may think or whether men will be attracted to you or not. Getting implants doesn't mean you have low self esteem.

I couldnt be more happy with my decision to get implants. I feel more womanly, my body feels more balanced and I love how they look. To me, they are not "fake." they are just as much a part of me as my ass that I have done endless squats to get because I sure wasnt born with that asset either. Does this make me shallow? Perhaps, if caring about my appearance because looking a certain way makes me feel confident is shallow. But while I may have some shallow concerns, I am not a shallow person because I do not judge other people's bodies or feel that I have any right to comment on someone else's life choices. Saying there are some reasons for getting implants that are more valid than others is a joke. No one can say someone else's decisions are valid or invalid. Who are you to say? The author of this article need to spend more time tending her own garden. We have one go round on this planet in this particular vessel. Do what you want to it. Do what makes you happy. Sure, do the research and make smart decisions. But just do you and dont waste time caring what others think.