What Disney teaches our Boys & Girls. {Warning: Cynical}

Via on Aug 18, 2011

Well, I think there must be some good lessons in a few of those old classics, too. Lady & the Tramp? 101 Dalmations?

What Disney taught me about gender and romance (imgur.com)”

About elephant journal

Comments

7 Responses to “What Disney teaches our Boys & Girls. {Warning: Cynical}”

1. ja bond says:

Just a reflection of the real world!

2. JaoNegro says:

Heh. Funny. They left off Mulan, one of my daughter's all-time favorite princesses. Wonder why? Oh, yeah, undercuts the meme.

3. […] Always have extra pillows and blankets for those impromptu sleepovers. And plenty of horror movies. Disney movies are so over, although Tim Burton films seem to be a current teen […]

4. Sarah says:

Hum hum hum… actually, frozen said ‘let it go’, snow white and acceptance, the beauty who learn beyond apparence and aladin beyond social condition because looking rich was not the matters. But everything is but perception in the end anyway.

5. Boowie says:

This is one way to see it.. But I like the other way.

6. tomspy77 says:

Finally, a bit of common sense on here…things like this is what make it harder for people in the world today to find something that should have no monetary cost and should not be based on beauty as well end up looking like shriveled up prunes anyway..love.

7. Nicolas says:

Just brainstorming here: Coming from Byron Katie, isn't it only, when you start to believe and create the other gender in your emagination , when you attach meaning to pictures, postures, movments, gestures, when you create or believe a story you've been told, either by others or yourself, that you start to feel an identity? And doesn't this identity either feel excluded or represented? And from a radical selfresponsibility point of view, does Disney have to change or my believes about Disney, what they are doing and who I think I am? To me, Disney just tells stories, just like feminists and all others do. What does a loving heart have to do with stories and who's the one believing them anyway? „grin“-Emoticon Who got the power over ones own believes? Disney or you? „grin“-Emoticon And speaking with my new pair of giraff ears „kiki“-Emoticon, thanks to Marshal Rosenberg, I ask myself, what's the need both try to meet? Maybe the old pattern stories and storytellers, tried to meet the need to convince children/people, that the good and pure hearted things in the world triumpf over the "unjust" hardship of dayly life. (I mean, one has to guess how people thought about themselves and their lifes, in order to get an idea, why they came up with these stories and the ideas, that being a princess or prince is so damn great.) Maybe these stories were ment to bring joy and give hope to those, who thought less of themselves and thought, that fallowing the rules of good (whatever good ment to them) will at the end pay off, because pure love and justice will prevail at the end. Like, life is just, right. Maybe that was just the idea of a few story tellers and people still had complete different believes about life, but enjoyed listeing these stories. What do I know. I'm just guessing here. And as for the feminists viewpoint, I guess, there's really a strong need for acknowledgement for a persons individuality and for what somebody likes and who they choose to be, if not already are. They might feel so not heared, criticized and pressured by stereotipical believes and the demands, which come with that. I guess, that they really feel the pain of lonelyness, frustration and disconnection, when somebody is treating them according to the story or movie, that is running in that persons head, who has any stereotipical gender perceptions. And I guess … they wanna feel the excitment of being themselves, the feeling of saftiyness of freedom to just to be themselves beyond all stories, which can be told about them or their gender. And I guess, they strongly got the need for connection with the other, who in their own eyes, doesn't see them. Maybe, that's even what Feminism is all about, to fullfill these needs. What do I know? However, pointing fingers at others, telling stories, about what others do and subtle ask them to change or stop, doesn't feel very connective and selfempowering to me. Did this strategy ever meet the needs anybody had? „smile“-Emoticon Don't know. But that's ok too, because it's not my responsibility to make others happy. And with my new pair of giraff ears, I don't even need them to be happy. They can just be, what ever they are and I can still establish such a deep connection to them. „kiki“-Emoticon It's so great! „kiki“-Emoticon Have an awesome 2016, who ever you are who red this text. „kiki“-Emoticon Kawaii 可愛い !!! „kiki“-Emoticon