Britney Spears gets Spiritual.

Via on Sep 15, 2011

“Exercise is a spiritual thing, it helps your mind and your body and it’s all connected.”

…Said Britney Spears to British Glamour, where she’s featured on the October cover.

“So, yes, I think it’s really important to take care of yourself in that way. I work out every other day, and sometimes every day. I run a lot on the treadmills in hotels when I’m on tour and I do light weights and a little bit of cardio.”

As Britney prepares for her upcoming Femme Fatale tour, she gets her mind and body in gear, showing us the strong, independent Britney so many of us know and love.

In addition to her new health routine, she’s feeling “in a really good place right now.” I’m usually not one for celeb gossip, but Brit always seems to find that…place in me. Some even pointed out that maybe Britney could be the feminist icon for our generation? Say it ain’t so? Come on, it’s Britney b*tch.

I’ve poured my heart and soul into this album over the last 2 years. I’ve put everything I have into it. This album is for you, my fans, who have always supported me and have stuck by me every step of the way! I love you all! Sexy and Strong. Dangerous yet mysterious. Cool yet confident! FEMME FATALE.

About Lindsey Block

Lindsey Block loves a good picnic, bottle glass of wine and a new recipe. She likes to do all the cliché things: sing in the shower, dance in her underwear in the living room—which her dog doesn't approve of, yet—and take long walks on the beach. She's currently struggling with misanthropy, but working on it every day—although it's hard living in California.

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

9 Responses to “Britney Spears gets Spiritual.”

1. Jennifer says:

Brittany is NOT a feminist Icon. Michelle Bachman is NOT a feminist Icon. Nor is Sarah Palin. People who are inane enough to believe otherwise need to be locked in a college course on Feminism in modern times, and not let out till they can understand this fact.

2. OhDear says:

Overexposure, mental illness and skimpy clothes? Please don’t tell me that passes for feminism these days. No personal judgement here, but feminist icon she is not.

3. Lindsey B. says:

Yes I agree. I'm not really backing up the feminist icon bit, but I am always impressed she comes back into the spotlight with hit after hit. There's something there.

4. Andréa Balt says:

No meanness inteded towards the author – only the article. What's even more ridiculous than Brittney Spears being considered a feminist icon and a spiritual model is me clicking on this article and reading it till the end. I can't help but think "Traffic, perhaps"?, a virtual sin which we're all guilty of.

• Lindsey B. says:

I certainly agree that this isn't the deepest post, however I didn't before realize that spiritual was in the pop culture vocabulary. I think this is just one step closer to mindfulness in the mainstream.

• Andréa Balt says:

For the record, I must say that I usually enjoy your posts and now that you point it out, I realize why you thought this subject could add to the mindfulness. I did include myself in the shallowness I attributed to the article, because not only did I read it but also watched the videos, so the comment above was not only regarding the article but also my own interest in it. I could have clicked on any other article, but this title won over the others, so it's nothing personal.

I think that words like "feminism" and "spiritual" have been so misused by icons such as Britney Spears and the like. It's like when Bush talks/talked about bringing peace to Iraq or engaging in holy war, or like hearing the Misses say: "world peace". It sounds empty and contradictory. I'm not against spirituality becoming mainstream, if anything I believe that we are all spiritual beings in a material world, but I didn't see it reflected here.

And the very fact that Britney Spears could be considered as a feminist icon of our generation says alot about the values of this generation and what rows our boat. It's even more paradoxical when compared to the founders of the feminist movement, such as Simone de Beauvoir. They were all intelligent and intellectual women who changed the world not with their breasts and empty sex talk but with their brains and hands. It's disappointing to see what "feminism" has become when someone like BS takes it in her hands and has herself described as "Sexy and Strong. Dangerous yet mysterious. Cool yet confident! FEMME FATALE." The only word she can claim for herself out of this list is "sexy" and only until she opens her mouth. Calling herself a Femme Fatale feels rather like a joke. But I guess this is an essential part of democray: Everyone can say what they want about themselves, especially when shouting it through a microphone; we all write our own story, for better or worse. And then there are those who believe it and those who don't. And that's ok as long as we can talk about it.

Again, no offense intended. Just speaking out my mind on a subject I find extremely important and worthy of discussion.

5. Mark says:

Feminist icon for our generation….

esusJay eptWay

6. teehee says:

omg Mark's comment keeps giving me the giggles

7. Sara says:

I dunno. I can't say it seems very strong to continually act out of insecurity, which is what Brits been doing for years. Granted, it's hard to stop when you get so much praise for it. I can't find space to call her a feminist icon.