“Buddha Gone Wild.”

Via on Sep 13, 2011

Via Reddit:

> “despite his obvious warlike qualities, he has the buddha within his own heart.”
> “It is Gobaka, “Man of Heart”. This particular statue is in the Pahang Buddhist Association Temple in Kuantan, Malaysia.”
> “Actually, by all accounts, this was Buddha Gone Wild.”

More on aggression, anger and Buddhism here.

Bonus. No, uh, wow, er, comment:

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to ““Buddha Gone Wild.””

1. Boy, I sure hope all Buddhists don’t grow ‘em that big.

2. catnip says:

Actually, it’s probably a very nice size, just disproportionate to the statue…..

3. Amy says:

OH DEAR!!! LOL!!!!!!

4. Plow Operator says:

I don't understand what Elephantjournal is supposed to be. The f*ck is this sh!t?

I'm out.

• elephantjournal says:

Funny that you leave us for showing a genuine Buddhist statue that shows nudity (which you're offended by) with "the f*ck is this sh!t." Awesome irony.

Seriously, sorry if it offended. We're about life. Mindful living, more specifically. Sexiness, sense of humor, working with aggression (linked above) are all included in that. I'd hope that the fact that you don't know what to expect from elephant might be a good thing…that you might want to "belong to a club" that isn't about being a club, but is about being irreverent, genuine, fun, serious…depending on the subject.

Yours,

Waylon

5. jason curtis says:

I’m amused that some aspects of existence can be so upsetting to people. I feel similar to Venus on this one.”distrust anyone in whom the urge to punish is strong.”

6. Dax says:

Someone disproves of a post and angrily voices her concern, then someone else practically calls her a nazi for it. There's a lot of judging going on here… from both sides of the morality aisle. Yikes. People need to lighten up.

Nice penis, by the way. I love this website.

7. elephantjournal says:

Dear Danika,

Sorry you're angry at me/elephant. Sorry to hear it. I'd personally appeal and say that you don't want elephant to be safe and something that you agree with 100% of the time. It's a community. Here's a fuller response to your criticism—best wishes to you, sincerely.

~

Sorry if this single post (out of 100s a month) offended, but I honestly didn't think that image was even clear at this size…last I checked, when we were children, we ran around nekked all day long. Perhaps it's we the adults who are having some issues? This is, as you'd know if you clicked before knee-jerk commenting, a real thing in the Buddhist tradition, and worth at least contemplating, if not having a sense of humor about.

As for those who offer to pull their subscription or ad every time we do something you don't like, I'm sorry, but go ahead. I don't want a site that's safe that everyone always agrees with all the time, and I don't think that's useful or helpful to the planet or mindful media.

Again, I didn't think you can even see what that is really, there's nothing "nude" about it, it's b&w and less than an inch square image. I'm the one here at elephant always insisting we don't swear in titles, and keeping children in mind…I think what's truly horrifying and inappropriate is, say, factory farming or cutting music education in schools. ~ Waylon Lewis

8. venusmiled says:

Kudos to you, Waylon for NOT succumbing to the imposed ideals of the jack-booted thugs of the “Morality Police”! I, for one, am SO fed-up with all the pious, blinder-wearing, narrow-minded, pseudo-spiritualists who care nothing for the ancient traditions, nature-based belief systems and human rights of those upon whom they trample, while keening of their deep offense! How many hundreds of years has this statue sat in some public square, bigger than life, as generations of children have passed by and been schooled by their parents and elders about the spiritual relationship between fertility symbols, wholeness and good fortune? Apparently, in the ever increasing din of our current, very polarized environment of what is “right and wrong”, or “good and bad”, humor and nature take the back seat.

9. venusmiled says:

I have recently seen a definitive shift taking place. Everywhere one looks, it seems that there are a few very opinionated and vocal people who take exception to anything that does not fit within their sanitized, tight-lipped, judgmental view of what humanity ought to be. In my experience, these individuals are more religious than spiritual, insisting that everyone play by their strict rules, and that anyone who doesn’t is immoral, thus “wrong” or “bad” and certainly deserving of public derision and punishment. Authenticity, respect, honesty, allowance, wholeness and understanding that we are spiritual beings, here to have a “human experience” are strictly taboo, and heaven help you if you disagree. For this reason, I have been “un-liking” pages and unsubscribing from newsletters where it appears that these people are currently in control because I seek peace and frankly, these folks are screwing with my chi.

10. venusmiled says:

Elephant Journal is one of those rare places that encourage my ability to, and validates my reasons for embracing my wholeness, and I had been taking full advantage of the free gems to which I had limited, but grateful access. This brief article and its pointed responses have caused me to take a stand, and subscribe now; I wish I had thousands to donate and support your wonderful publication! I know my subscription won’t make up for those who have pulled theirs, but I am fully immersed in the spirit and the validity of the Elephant Journal’s content, rather than dipping my toes in and screeching that it should suit my ideals but doesn’t.