Hearing for the First Time. {Videos}

Via on Sep 29, 2011

~

7 week old boy has hearing aids on for the first time:

Update: a new one: “My wife lost her hearing when she was 2.5 years old doctors told her family she would never be able to talk. She was able to hear for a while with hearing aids. When we first met each other she was still able to hear with the aid of hearing aids. We got married and slowly i noticed her hearing getting worse. We tried new hearing aids and nothing seemed to help. The doctors suggested that we think about the cochlear implant. At the time my son just came into the world so we both decided it would be best to wait. Two years later we said now is a good time to do it. Things had been frustrating but we managed to work through it all. The surgery was not that bad. She was afraid of getting her head shaved more than anything. come to find out they didn’t even need to cut any hair. Tell this is the video of the device getting turned on for the first time. The following day she was out side with my son and heard a noise and my son who is 2.5 said birdie tweet tweet. We just want every one to know how well these things work.”

YouTube Preview Image

~

God bless Science.

You will cry.

Woman hearing herself for the first time:

I was born deaf and 8 weeks ago I received a hearing implant. This is the video of them turning it on and me hearing myself for the first time :)

8 Month Old Deaf Baby’s Reaction To Cochlear Implant Being Activated:

YouTube Preview Image

Cochlear implant switch on:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

Relephant:

About Waylon Lewis

15 Responses to “Hearing for the First Time. {Videos}”

1. Ren says:

I did cry! Absolutely awesome! I cannot thank you enough for sharing. I had seen one, but the other two are completely new to me. The first one really made me smile – and cry! Lots of tears, lots of joy!

2. Kristen says:

If you know anything about Deaf culture, cochlear implants are like the abortion debate. While yes, a grown woman receiving an implant and is able to hear is amazing (not all procedures are successful and most Deaf people will not understand what is being said to them. They still have to read lips because they are hearing English for the first time after the language acquisition stage of life has passed.), parents need to ask themselves why they aren't willing to learn sign language and immerse themselves in Deaf culture for their children. That child will not be able to play contact sports, scuba dive deeper than 10 ft. and cannot go through a metal detector. When he takes his cochlear off, he will still be Deaf, but without a Deaf identity. Hearing people need to stop thinking that being Deaf is something that needs to be fixed. Deafness is beautiful, Sign Language is beautiful, Deaf culture is one of the most amazing things I have ever been blessed to come into contact with. I am happy for those Deaf people who get to make that choice for themselves and enjoy hearing, but no hearing person should ever make that decision for a Deaf child. It's not your life.

• elephantjournal says:

Thanks for this perspective. I think we can all agree that not only is there nothing wrong with being deaf, or deaf culture, but that yes it is beautiful. That said, too, hearing is a gift and we can celebrate and honor both. ~ W.

• Liag says:

My first thought was how in the world is she understanding what the technician is saying to her if she's never heard words before. That doesn't make sense at all.

• tgk says:

I get what you're saying and Deaf culture is indeed beautiful.
      I also see that every single person who I've seen (youtube etc) with a successful implant cries with joy. That baby just lit up hearing his mom's voice. That's got to mean something.
      I am not Deaf, and music is one of my greatest joys. Why wouldn't I want my child to have that experience?
      Put another way: If someone offered me the chance to activate a "new" sense that other people had and seemed to benefit from, would I say yes? Absolutely! Would it be a cultural shift? Yes! I would still want it

• Cliff says:

I am the hearing father of a Deaf man. I am a professional musician as well as a research scientist. My son will never hear. We had an opportunity to provide him with cochlear implants when they were new (one channel!) and decided not to. Best decision of our lives. My Deaf son has little interest in music. Neither does my hearing daughter. My other son is a musician as well.
        People are all different. Rather than expect them to be a certain person or project our wants onto them, why not just let them grow up and be who they are, developing their own interests, skills, genius… Expectation is a straightjacket put on other people because of the inability to realize the wonderful variety of experiences possible in the world and insist that there is a "standard set" of experiences one must have. My Deaf son has many wonderful skills, abilities, and experiences, some of which are not available in the same way to a hearing person. I sincerely believe that this range of variability may create truly novel ways of thinking that will be of great benefit to the world, leading to ideas and solutions that may not occur to a hearing person. Celebrate diversity in all its glory!

3. ken says:

This did make me well up but why would you ask God for a blessing. God made these people deaf in the first place. Bless the men and women who studied hard their entire lives, the scientists that worked endlessly and tirelessly to help out mankind.

4. rockbookcook says:

I took this more as looking at the beauty presented in a different light.. I too know many deaf people who would never consider a cochlear and I too love deaf culture, but this is a beautiful thing to be seen (or heard).

5. Tyree Vibbard says:

View complete movies for 100 % free

6. Shamica says:

This is truly inspiring and I am amazed that she was able to hear despite of being deaf since she was born. I hope I can find the best hearing aids Perth for my grandfather who loves playing piano.

7. Howard says:

Cochlear implants don't work for everyone… my father, for one, who lost his hearing at age 14 because of spinal meningitis. The implant simply didn't work for him because his neural pathways would not support it. He knew the odds were against him, and he was game to try. Not every deaf person is… many deaf people do not regard deafness as a disability, odd as that may sound to people who can hear.

8. Cliff says:

If you have spent any time in the Deaf community, you would cry at the beauty of the communication. Try it.

9. Jenifer says:

that said, seeing that baby go "woah!" and smiling is just the best thing. it's so wonderful when the pacifier just falls out of his mouth in joyous shock. it's truly amazing.