Anna Rexia. The most offensive Halloween costume ever?

Via on Sep 22, 2011

Weigh in on this.

A link for more on this…

Photo: boingboing.com

About Hannah Siegle

Hannah Siegle began to do yoga four years ago initially for the physical practice, however she quickly discovered that the yoga began to do her in ways she never anticipated. The mind, body and spiritual connection that yoga cultivates has helped Hannah through the ups and downs of life, both large and small. She regularly blogs at Balancing on Two Feet on topics such as yoga, mindfulness, eating disorder recovery and all those things people don't like to talk about. She was trained at the RYT 200 through Laurel Hodory and is currently working towards becoming a Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapist. She teaches yoga throughout Central Ohio with GoYoga ,yogaServe, and also works as an Assistant Editor for the elephant journal!

14 Responses to “Anna Rexia. The most offensive Halloween costume ever?”

1. Brent Binder drbinder says:

That is offensive. It's not even close to accurate! What is there, like 8 lumbar vertebra on her? And the sacrum, just a tad small I would say. I'm outraged!

2. haha! laughed out loud at the comments of skeletal inaccuracies! (that was actually what I noticed first too…) It' s horrible, and tacky…I don't think a skeleton costume is horrible, but putting it out there as Anna Rexia…ick.

3. ashley says:

eating disorders are NOT a laughing matter.

• No – they aren't. And I struggled with one for many years. My laughing was at the chiropractor's comments about the fact that the skeleton was all wrong… I do think that being open about things – even difficult things – and sometimes keeping a sense of humor about them can help us talk about them more honestly.

4. Sej says:

There’s a child’s costume called “WW2 Evacuee” that looks like Anne Frank. That one feels pretty icky, too.

5. Lauren says:

I dont find this offensive. Honestly the name is HORRID, but the look of the costume not bad. I kind of like the costume itself. Looks just like another slutty costume for Halloween. Once again the name of this costume is just awful. Whoever thought of the name is a real asshole. Ashley is right an eating disorder is NO laughing matter, and unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who just don't care.

6. notarecoveringyogi says:

Eating disorders are a luxury of the rich and priveleged. People look around and get over yourselves. That's what finally made me do it.

7. notarecoveringyogi says:

I am sincerely sorry for that comment… it was judgmental and harsh. I feel for everyone going through it but there is a way out…. at least one way that worked for me and may or not work for others. I was anorexic when I was in my teens… specifically 16 and yes it was hell to 'get over it'…. I almost died. I was 5' 1" tall and down to 79 pounds. I was taken to an anorexic ward and told me I had to be admitted or else they would give up on me. I visited the place and it was like a morgue. It was then that I decided to live instead of die. How did I do this? The only way I could was to open my eyes and look around. I had been obsessing and about ME for two years. I didn't give a damn about anyone but MYSELF. I think that as an adult I have a visceral reaction to eating disorders (in adults) because now I am so conscious of the starvation in the world. That is where my comment came from… by getting over myself and looking OUT I was able to live. This may not work for everyone… So sorry to hurt anyone but maybe this will help at least one of you in your struggle.

• KBT says:

lol… these people on this site are the epitome of first world whiners. You didn't say anything even remotely offensive. Cheesy Halloween costumes are hardly something to get offended by. If this offends someone then they have bigger issues to deal with.

• Akpiercie says:

It's not the costume itself that is offensive, it is that the conditions exist where someone can design this costume, have it approved by their boss, then someone at Ricky's can approve and sell it. Fetishizing eating disorders or characterizing them as "sexy" is what is offensive. Eating disorders are not just a first world problem, and they kill people. As someone who lost her early twenties to an eating disorder, I'm troubled that someone (multiple people, really) would think his costume is a good idea, and I'm offended by the pervasive idea that someone can just "get over it.". Trust me, I would have done so if I could, I wish more than anything that I could have saved myself, my friends and my family years of pain and suffering by just sucking it up and keeping my food down. Keep in mind that an eating disorder is often the symptom of a larger underlying issue, for example, physical or sexual abuse, and people in early recovery are often easily triggered. So, yes, Halloween costumes are hardly something to be offended by, but the motivations behind this should offend us all.