Occupy vs. Tea Party: the diagram.

Via on Oct 27, 2011

I might be expected to agree with this Diagram—but it just makes me feel Sick.

“Teabaggers” vs. “Fleabaggers”? We can do better.

Us. vs. Them.

On a micro level: where we love to see ourselves as right—or on a macro level, where we objectify and project upon others—our us vs. them tendencies don’t make us happy, and don’t show us reality. I’m with the 99%—I am the 99%—and this chart makes my stomach turn.

Discuss, if so inspired, below—on FB there’s already a kabillion comments, most respectful and informed, from “both sides.” That said, I’ve already seen liberals call the other side “teabaggers” and a Tea Party member call “us” “fleabaggers” (which I thought was pretty witty).

I know President Obama’s had a tough time of it…but can’t we all get along? Can’t we be respectful as we disagree? Can’t we change this culture of aggression?

That doesn’t mean we need to dumb down our values—it doesn’t mean the other side is right and we’re wrong or even that we’re all equally right and wrong—rather the opposite. It means that we need to spout opinions less, and reflect on our own values, the values of our Founding Fathers, and the values of our nation more clearly. We need to remember we’re all in this together.

We need to remember to do our dishes (yes, I’m talking to myself) and watch TV a bit less and eat right and excercise more and get out for a hike and call our mom and live our lives fully.

Protesting is perhaps the greatest form of patriotism, whatever “side” we’re on—second only to the these-days much-maligned path of public service itself.

Getting up off our couch and away from Facebook and doing more than leaving nasty comments? Let’s do it (all together now).

About elephant journal

11 Responses to “Occupy vs. Tea Party: the diagram.”

1. Not says:

I completely disagree. Many Occupy protesters had similar agendas to the Teabaggers, with slight "amendments."

We're living in a world of dissolution, both sides are frustrated, angry. Let's find a middle ground to this anger, let's try to agree again.

2. catnipkiss says:

The best thing about the ongoing Occupy Wall Street movement is that, finally, everybody is NOTICING that "this ain't right"! Discussion is good because it keeps the ball in the air! Power to the people :)

3. skink says:

The graphic is full of 1/2 truths and poor generalizations – just as the media portrayed both sides of the grass roots movements.

4. I agree, I'm disturbed the the us against them viewpoint. It is equally ugly on both sides.

5. Jessica says:

The graphic seems generally correct….if we're generalizing.

6. elephantjournal says:

#
    Eefke M http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1a413a18c1/occup

#
    Sarah G It's not us vs them. We are all one. Xo

#
    elephantjournal.com Sarah, did you read it? That's exactly my point. Well, 99% of us are all one, pragmatically-speaking. That would include the Tea Party.

• If it's not "us v. them", then why post lies and garbage like this? I've been a member since its inception, and I have never seen any of the tripe this portrays. This is so divisive and plays right into the hands of the corrupt political system.

7. Auren says:

I think #Occupy is exposing the mass media as protecting a certain storyline and class for political benefit. They know that when the right is in power, they make more money. And so they protect the right and scourge the left.

8. JIm says:

I think there is something very important about this that has already been mentioned, which is there is wide spread disillusion. Occupy seems to be upset at wall street and Tea Party people are upset w washington. They both are right. Where washington has taken a greater role in an industry, that industry has a greater influence over washington's policies. Why, because our senators and congressmen cannot be experts on all things. My guess is the occupy people are not upset at Apple as they send their messages on their I phone. Why, because Apple isn't all up there A%%. The protest isn't against corporations,I think its against corporate influence. Just like the Tea party people aren't against government in general, they are against the government influence in their lives.

9. Earle says:

Both movements are trying to bring about change which is a good thing. The occupy folks though are attacking capitalism when they should be attacking democratic socilism. The problem on Wall Street is not capitalism, the problem is our big businesses are being run by socialists who are in bed with the politicians. The Tea Party wants to change this as does the Ooccupy movement. Where the Occupy folks attack business, the Tea Party folks attack goverment. They attack from different directions but the goal is the same. To bring about change. We need change. I commend both groups and find it unfortunate that the author of this little piece is so blinded by his agenda, he does not see the true middle way between the two groups.