“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any” – Alice Walker
As a filmmaker and as a woman – this trailer shook me. There is a responsibility that we must realize in our storytelling, and it’s not just a women’s battle. Let us be brave, sincere, and move forward with whats right.
This is about both genders – share it with your community. Watch the broadcast premiere October 20th, host a screening, and learn more at www.missrepresentation.org
- Women hold only 3% of clout positions in the mainstream media (telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and advertising).
- •Women comprise 7% of directors and 13% of film writers in the top 250 grossing films.
- •The United States is 90th in the world in terms of women in national legislatures.
- •Women hold 17% of the seats in the House of Representatives (the equivalent body in Rwanda is 56.3% female).
- •Women are merely 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs.
- •About 25% of girls will experience teen dating violence.
- •The number of cosmetic surgical procedures performed on youth 18 or younger more than tripled from 1997 to 2007.
- •Among youth 18 and younger, liposuctions nearly quadrupled between 1997 and 2007 and breast augmentations increased nearly six-fold in the same 10-year period.
- •65% of American women and girls have an eating disorder.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 526 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 9 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,543 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,329 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 706 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,509 share These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,162 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 3,031 shares