“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any” – Alice Walker
As a filmmaker and as a woman – this trailer shook me. There is a responsibility that we must realize in our storytelling, and it’s not just a women’s battle. Let us be brave, sincere, and move forward with whats right.
This is about both genders – share it with your community. Watch the broadcast premiere October 20th, host a screening, and learn more at www.missrepresentation.org
- Women hold only 3% of clout positions in the mainstream media (telecommunications, entertainment, publishing and advertising).
- •Women comprise 7% of directors and 13% of film writers in the top 250 grossing films.
- •The United States is 90th in the world in terms of women in national legislatures.
- •Women hold 17% of the seats in the House of Representatives (the equivalent body in Rwanda is 56.3% female).
- •Women are merely 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs.
- •About 25% of girls will experience teen dating violence.
- •The number of cosmetic surgical procedures performed on youth 18 or younger more than tripled from 1997 to 2007.
- •Among youth 18 and younger, liposuctions nearly quadrupled between 1997 and 2007 and breast augmentations increased nearly six-fold in the same 10-year period.
- •65% of American women and girls have an eating disorder.
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. My Marriage had to End—for my Life to Begin. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012.