A Plea for Balance & Compassion.

Via
on Feb 21, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

To all of us who have been commenting on the “Anusaragate” scandal:

Hi, I’m Benjy Wertheimer.

In the interest of disclosure, I have been connected to Anusara since 2000, and toured with John for years, playing live music for dozens of his events.

Thus one might say I am a member of the group “they” or “them.” I would probably fall somewhere between the cracks of the groups described by Elena – I had some of my own difficulties with John, concerns about the “detox/retox” phenomenon I saw (especially in recent years), yet was not close enough to see (and, in fairness, not open-eyed enough to discern) many of the highly questionable inner workings of John Friend and Anusara as they are now coming to light.

I am not beholden to Anusara or any particular system of Hatha yoga practice. I do think, from watching thousands of practitioners experience a great deal of benefit over the years, that the fundamentals of the Hatha yoga system of Anusara are really extraordinary and it would be extremely sad (and unnecessarily destructive) to “throw the baby out with the bath water” in the wake of this scandal.

And I want to make clear that I do not say this to disparage any other system of Hatha yoga practice out there. I think it is great to be alive at a time (and in a culture) where people have a wide range of systems to choose from, and to find an approach that resonates with us the most deeply.

As I said in my recent elephant post “An Open Letter to the Anusara Community,”

“I do hope there will be a forum in the not-too-distant future where the allegations can publicly be put forward succinctly, clearly and in as unbiased a way as possible (understanding that the charges cover very difficult terrain, spiritually and emotionally), and that John would be given the opportunity to fully and honestly respond to each and every one of them. In the meantime, it is not my place to stand in judgment. “

All that said, it saddens me greatly to see the labeling, ad hominem attacks, and generally vitriolic tone emerging from much of this discussion (on Huffington Post as well as elephant). I want to know the truth of the situation as much as anyone, yet it saddens me that many of the comments are feeding what I feel is one of the greatest enemies humans face: polarization.

As an example, these excerpted comments disturbed me greatly:

“emotionally retarded, over-priveledged (sic) white women who also happen to be “life-coaches” who teach “yoga”.”

“…these people were just insider rats who started deserting the sinking ship when they felt the stinking bilge-water rise to their knees?

This whole thing is disgusting.

And yet on their FB group pages, they just continue to stroke and back-pat one another, love love love, stroke stroke stroke.

Gross.”

(A note here: I would encourage thinking about the people on the FB group pages as humanly fallible, complex, and often confused people reaching out to one another in a very painful time–can’t we grant that much to each other?)

“mealy-mouthed and disingenuine (sic). She needs a good de-programmer.”

“Fuzzy, weird, narcississtic, intellectually flabbly (sic), untrustworthy people.”

“I think we have a pretty good idea what kind a person Ms. Elena is !”

“I don’t think it’s “we.” It’s THEY. I had know (sic) part in this, and many many did not. THEY put Anusara and JF up on a pedestal and demonized anyone who dare criticize. Now, When people rightfully criticize people’s ACTIONS, we’re accused of demonizing them, b/c that’s the long-standing black-and-white thinking within the culture.”

(Another note here: I agree that there has been–and likely still is–a lot of black-and-white thinking in Anusara, and I will be overjoyed to see that change.)

“What a spoiled brat sense of entitlement.

The AY folks need to grow and and (sic) learn to face the fires they’ve started.”

Please, folks. It’s not “us” and “them.” A lot of people–inside and outside of any particular connection to Anusara–are hurting a lot. We aren’t going to bring this to a more satisfying conclusion by labeling or demonizing one another. Yes, I think it’s critical to rethink the black-and-white model that was fostered in Anusara. Yes, it’s very important to get at the truth – leaving no stone unturned in the process.

And healthy, honest disagreement will definitely play a huge role in facilitating this quest.

But just as important–to me–is that we do so with balance, compassion and a recognition of our common membership in the larger human family. May we reach out to one another with a level of compassion that matches our intense desire to get at the truth.

With love and respect to all of us in this discussion,

Benjy Wertheimer

~

Editor: Kate Bartolotta

About Benjy Wertheimer

Born and raised in Boulder, Colorado, Benjy Wertheimer is an award-winning musician, composer, vocalist and multi-instrumentalist equally accomplished on tabla, congas, percussion, esraj, guitar, and keyboards. Benjy has toured and recorded with such artists as Krishna Das, Deva Premal and Miten, Jai Uttal, Walter Becker of Steely Dan, virtuoso guitarist Michael Mandrell, and renowned bamboo flute master G. S. Sachdev. He has also opened for such well-known artists as Carlos Santana, Paul Winter, and Narada Michael Walden. Benjy is a founding member of the internationally acclaimed world fusion ensemble Ancient Future. / Beginning his musical studies at age 5, starting with piano and later violin and flamenco guitar, Benjy has studied Indian classical music for over 25 years with some of the greatest masters of that tradition including Alla Rakha, Zakir Hussain, Ali Akbar Khan and Z. M. Dagar. Along with the Grateful Dead’s Mickey Hart, Benjy was a contributing composer and member of the Zakir Hussain Rhythm Experience. / For over five years, Benjy scored music for the internationally syndicated NBC series Santa Barbara. His CD Circle of Fire reached #1 on the international New Age radio charts in 2002. Now living in Portland, Oregon, he now tours around the world leading kirtan with his wife Heather (as the duo Shantala). / www.benjymusic.com.

Comments

50 Responses to “A Plea for Balance & Compassion.”

1. Scott Newsom says:

Well said. The vitriol gets in the way of the hard work that needs to be done just as much as the denial, misdirected blaming and failure to take responsibility (which is what mist people seem to be most upset about) does.

2. Bryan says:

Benjy, this is just a wonderful perspective. Thank you.

3. matt says:

Benjy, I disagree about the tone. I think it's a healthy path for people to have a place to get it all out. To vent their emotions, frustrations and disappointments. This is the Arab Spring of our little world here, man. At least they're not chasing John or any of his insider cronies into a storm drain in the middle of the hot Libyan desert.

4. Rose says:

Very well said Benjy. I considered myself involved in the sense that this is happening within the yogic community. My girlfriend said, "a rift has happened in the yoga community and perhaps we should all sit down and have an open an honest discussion." Blogs like this go a very long way towards making that happen.
    Tha being said, it would be wonderful if we all could look to our yogic practices to facilitate open communication. There has been a lack of ahimsa (non-violence) and satya (truthfulness) going on in this situation and it is about for some transparancy. The only way to end the seemingly endless cycle of abuse is to acknowledge when we have been wrong and to apologize to those we have hurt.

5. SQR says:

As I've said on other comment threads, your voice is one of sanity and reason in a time when the opposite seems in fashion. There's a "CB radio" quality to these internet blog comments that I find a bit disturbing, but, like channel 19, there's also a decent number of folks with basic respect for others.

My personal hope is the numerous teachers who’ve invested so heavily in Anusara can form something sustainable and move forward. The “product” would then be less about any one "leader", and more about the stuff that’s helped so many people. Despite the hot water Mr Friend is in, the community he started has spread a lot more goodwill than one might think from reading blog comments online. Therein lies a possible path…

6. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

7. Matt says:

Benjy,

You are a true gentleman.

8. Jill says:

You should be asking why so many people reacted like they did to Elena's post and John's actions. With a 90% negative comments on EJ, Huff and YD, you would be more effective in digger deeper for the truth instead of branding the commenters as, "us versus them". That's you interpretation. Dig deeper Benjy, people are no longer going to blindly follow teachers or be seduced by their flowery yoga speak.

9. lynne says:

I think that when a community or "kula" over years and years gives off indications to other parts of the larger yoga community that it is hmmm let's say elitist, separate and their "own island"– this is the reaction that is created when all of sudden they decide that they want to be "part of the larger community"

10. SAL says:

It's a bit worrying that you're so invested in tamping down those who are unhappy with the situation, as if it's a personal attack on you. Dissension and truth telling are very important; if Anusara folk had spoken out years earlier, JF and the Anusarians would not be in the situation you/they are in now. There's an element of revisionism/silencing/shaming about speaking out that speaks to the environment that JF created, I think.

11. Etienne says:

It may be really hard for the AY folks to hear how disgusted the larger yoga community has beenwith them, for a long time, but they should hear it. They should hear it, in all its roughness. They should take it seriously.
    They're being brought down to earth and reminded that their shit stinks too, mate. It ain't pretty, but it's needed. Step back and let it roll, man. It's a long time coming.

12. Emily Perry Emily Perry says:

Thank you for working to bring peace and calm to the situation. We can be critical without crossing the line, and we can bring compassion to the way we react and speak. Thank you for sharing!

13. Saskia says:

Thank you Benji! It's empowering to remember that how we react to situations says a lot about how we 'are' on the inside.

14. Bob Keaty says:

Much needed healing words Benjy, Thank you.

I'm not sure that we should place such importance or high hopes on 'the truth' coming out, however. Much of what went on will probably remain in the dark and I anticipate accusation and counter-accusations to continue, maybe forever. We will never know what went on in JF's head or in the hearts and minds of people who indulged him by participating or just keeping silent. There will be a number of narratives coming out of this and we will select which one to tell and believe in.

Life goes on and we move forward: I see this experience as bringing my little part of the kula closer together. The sadness and disappointment can be used to soften the heart and open us up to the love that binds us all together, to remind us of why we practice yoga and why we surround ourselves with the kula. For me, that is enough. It has been quite a long time since I was enamored with any strong leader: JF was no exception because I did not recognize a doorway of vulnerability in him that would have allowed a deeper connection to develop. I hope the nasty tone calms down because Mark Twain was right: the acid of hatefulness does most harm to our own humanity.

15. Shell says:

Benjy, you need to dig deeper for the truth. To brush aside the remarks of over 90% of the comments made against John and Elena, you are letting an opportunity to grow, pass you by. The yoga world is waking up and glittery yoga talk is going to be the first fatality. The 99% of the yoga world is waking up!

16. Excellent post Benjy. Did you have a chance to read my perspective, as a devoted student? I was striving for balance and compassion. Hope I succeeded: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/i-still-lo

17. gail says:

Beautifully said and absolutely, IMO, right on target. Also, just what I needed to read this morning. I am all for truth and disclosure, but name calling and polarization will not lead to a shared vision, which I believe people are searching for right now. BTW, I am a huge fan, love you, love your music, love your spirit. Thank you so much for helping us work this through in a constructive, positive way.

18. Benjy Wertheimer benjywertheimer says:

Beautifully put, Bob. I know that I'm very emotionally invested t in knowing "the truth" – and that it likely will never fully come to light. Who knows what kind of "closure" will ever be found here …

Yes, it is my prayer that the nasty tone calms down (though I definitely understand why it's there) … that's what motivated me to post. Thanks again so much for chiming in!

19. lauraplumb says:

Thank you for great Yogic leadership here, Benjy. It is a wonderful reminder of your grace and compassion. Now when do we get to see/hear you and Heather live again in San Diego?

20. Sarah Rubano says:

Benjy, thank you so much for a refreshing & enlightened perspective. U are a good man…a beautiful example of one practicing off the mat. So important to stand strong as a community, and support each other (including John who has supported and inspired so many of us along the way). Hope to see u and ur lovely lady sometime this year. With love & respect.

21. Alan Shelton Alan Shelton says:

Benjy,
    Alan Shelton here. Thank you for this approach. I know that the barbs and arrows are hard to understand. It helps me to see that the level of maturity from which they spring is the entry point to the awakening path. So your article is beautiful in that it holds that doorway open. The question I ask now when I hear the disagreement about the particulars of this situation is the following: What has finding the right factual answer done for you on your path to awakening? Or, If you received your wish and John were punished exactly as you wish, how would you be internally nourished by that? For me this sort of pointer helps shine the light in the right place.