Quote of the Day: Reading is Hot.

Via Kate Bartolotta
on Mar 17, 2012
get elephant's newsletter
Photo: tumblr

“If you go home with somebody,

and they don’t have books,

don’t f*ck ’em!”

~ John Waters

Think reading is sexy?

“Like” Elephant Literary Journal

and “Eco Boy vs. Yoga Girl” on Facebook.

About Kate Bartolotta

Kate Bartolotta is a wellness cheerleader, yogini storyteller, and self-care maven. She also writes for Huffington Post, Yoga International, Mantra Yoga+ Health, a beauty full mind, The Good Men Project, The Green Divas, The Body Project, Project Eve, Thought Catalog and Soulseeds. Kate's books are now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com. She is passionate about helping people fall in love with their lives. You can connect with Kate on Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

11 Responses to “Quote of the Day: Reading is Hot.”

1. yogijulian says:

🙂

2. yogijulian says:

anything you post truly struggles to compete with how awesome your bio is kate!

• hahahah! Thanks Julian! It's part inside family jokes, part true and part inspired by one of my heroines: Pippi Longstocking. I do get at least 4 – 5 emails a day about the bio ranging from people who want to convince me I should learn to knit, marriage proposals and people telling me I should stop saying I'm a mediocre writer.

Braja Sorensen was giving me a hard time about my old one which was the basic "here's what I do, here's my facebook" but slightly personal bio, so I sat down and wrote out the first things that popped into my head. (There's a lot going on up there some days!).

3. JoshMPlant says:

When I was dating, I would ask a few simple questions:
    – What is your favorite book?
    – What book are you currently reading?
    – Do you like 'Wuthering Heights'?
    – Your thoughts on Camus? ;and, finally,
    – What's your name?

4. robertwolf681 says:

One of the best presents I ever received from an ex-girlfriend was a badge that said: "reading is sexy".

5. I looove that "What's your name" is last!

But "what's your favorite book" is a trick question. If he can narrow it to one quickly, I'd be skeptical. I need to re-read Wuthering Heights. I'm over due. Or maybe The Stranger.

• JoshMPlant says:

Wuthering Heights is amazing. And, you are smart, my dear… I've never trusted a man that was only able to list ONE favorite book. In fact, many dates I was forced to endure were met with an even worse response: "Oh.. I do not read. I sparknoted my way through school."

The words, "CHECK!!" were uttered faster than a tongue-twister in third grade.

This is not a joke, one date was with someone who: could not drive, could not ride a bike, had no interest in outdoor activities, could not remember the last book he read, let alone did not know what Wuthering Heights even was… and, to top it all off, I took him to a really cool high-end wine bar, and he drank 20 and 30 year old wines like they were Kool-Aid. Thank god AMEX gives me points for every dollar I spend, otherwise I would have been forced to strangle him.

• Ahahah! I'm doing a "worst first dates" post…I expect a contribution!

Sparknotes are an abomination. Ridiculous. I did have one guy who had lots of books and I assumed he loved to read. Turns out they were his mom's & he just kind of kept them around for ambiance. Sneaky…

6. Dawn says:

This made me laugh because I have so many books I'm reading/dipping into on the other side of my bed right now, I couldn't actually get anyone else in it!