How to Really Know Someone. Really.

Via on May 22, 2012
via Sir Richard's
to play is divine

Update: Plato may not have said this, but the quote is a good one to remember nonetheless.

‎”You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.”

~ Plato

~

Relephant:

10 Romantic Things You Can Do for Your Partner.

~

Like elephant journal gets sexy on Facebook.

Editor: Kate Bartolotta

About Mathew Gerson

Mathew is the Co-Founder of Sir Richard’s Condom Company. In much of the world there is a severe unmet demand for free contraceptives. In response, Sir Richard's developed a thoughtfully designed premium product, and for every condom purchased, one is contributed to help bridge the need gap. Be in touch: Mathew@SirRichards.com Like to see more of the above. Fan us on the Facebook: Sir Richard’s on Facebook

48 Responses to “How to Really Know Someone. Really.”

1. Might just be my quote of the week/month/year. Love.

2. Elissa says:

Love it

3. Julie says:

Yeah. So true. Let's all play. for love.

4. Satori says:

Lovely

5. [...] Christian the Somehow-Sexy Abusive Billionaire, I’d never think of bossing a woman around. This is my kind of [...]

6. Heather Morton Heather says:

This is such a great quote…

7. GreenThumb says:

This is SO true. My dogs taught me this.

8. Meghan C says:

yum

9. sloppy buddhist says:

true…lovely post reminds me of Katharine Hepburn…~ If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun ~

10. Silk-woven facade says:

Silly, but I seem to have forgotten how to play in my adulthood. In adulthood life is so serious, contrived from expectations, driven by insecurity and fear. How do I start to play?

• Sean says:

Forget about responsibility… that is to find an activity that you can leave your responsibilities behind for a while ! Think back… what did you used to do that brought you fun-filled joy ?

• Sandra says:

Look into Tantra – jump/shake/wiggle your body to music, do cartwheels, make a fort out of blankets and pillows, bring out all the crayons/colored pencils/paper/scissors, make/find puppets and put on a puppet show

11. yogasamurai says:

You won't be able to spend all your time in PLAY with your partner, so unless you learn how to converse meaningfully as an adult, you probably won't build an enduring partnership – and you will always be hoping for play instead, because your adult relationship will feel more like a burden

Frankly, I can play with just about ANYONE for an hour. And thenI will have learned what they are like to PLAY with.

Perhaps the need for play – to recapture a sense of pure child-like spontaneity – reflects, in part, a failure to acquire a meaningful way of communicating verbally.

Play can be great fun – but it's also at times yet another distraction from being present as an adult?

I can also learn a lot about someone if I pray and meditate with them for an hour.

By the way, Plato never married, and he died while attending a wedding feast – someone else's. Jus sayin'!

• tony says:

You might be correct. But I'm going to give Plato the benefit of the doubt.

• Zoe Rei says:

I think people know they can't spend all of their time playing and I don't think they expect to do so. I think it simply implies that play is an important part of any relationship and it creates a space that is safe for people to be more openly themselves and therefore people can get to know each other very well. Personally, I've noticed that I can get to know someone really well simply by the way they play a game of cards.

• solfulsoul says:

but who is most fun to play with and talk to!

• ladydesade says:

it doesn't mean that you play all the time, it means don't forget to play amongst all of that seriousness

12. [...] cocoa by the fire. Spring is dancing in the rain and picking dandelions. But the real play time—the play that picks us up, shakes out the cobwebs and finds our smile again—lives in the country of [...]

13. yogasamurai says:

Yes, well, he was Plato after all. He wrote a couple of minor books, I think? Cheers, Man.

14. yogasamurai says:

Sir Richard's condom company? I just noticed that! Awesome. Would that be the one owned by Richard and Woody Hertz? Badda boom. I keep think that yogis should respond to Trojans by introducing a new line of "Arjuns"? Made from biodegradable rubber, of course. For the very best in Tantric enjoyment. They would come in a range of colors that would match your yoga mat – so that the "staging area," was as aesthetically "yoked" as the participants would be. Great new Equinox video? You wouldn't need balloons, just blow up a few of the condoms.

15. Renee says:

Yes and yes!

16. [...] dating was the kiss of death for any serious relationship among human primates who depend on five senses to connect. Groping a tiny electronic device to get a read on the vibe of your man that evening is like [...]

17. [...] “At what point did you stop going out to play?” [...]

18. [...] (or rarely) do, pick up a $2 watercolor set at the grocery store and play with it for an hour (or grab a friend and some fingerpaints…even [...]

19. [...] really, why have sex for any other reason other than for fun? Of course there’s also procreation and shared intimacy—but if you’ve lost the spirit of play [...]

20. Zoe Rei says:

Aw Yeah! Taking this quote and using often! It's worth putting on the wall, above the kitchen sink and on a pillow.

21. [...] an almost perfect domestic scene—like something right out of a Maxwell House ad. We are in a cuddle puddle, arms and legs around [...]

22. [...] do you know you are loved? How do you show your partner love? Express it in words and gestures, for neither is a potent in its singularity as they are [...]

23. [...] fun. Even if you have the craziest day at work or your kids are sick, there’s always one minute to joke and laugh with your spouse, to read a few pages of an inspiring book or to simply play along with your children (trust me, [...]

24. ommarathonlawyer says:

Absolute truth!!! Play Play and more Play!

25. GreatNorthSky says:

Exactly :: This Recently Re-Entered My Live Again :: I'll Never Give It Up Again :: Beautiful :: Thank You नमस्ते

26. Lexi says:

Great quote, and it's true. Playing with each other brings out the child-like fun that we long for.

27. Jenny says:

When I become absolutely stuck in trying to "figure it out," the next move is naturally play. There's nowhere else the energy can go other than spontaneity, which feels light. For me, unfortunately, it seems I have to get stuck to see this. However, what a relief when the play sweeps in. Delightful! Lila fo' sho'!

28. ICQ4EA says:

Great quote – except it wasn't Plato especially as seeing how he was a great believer int eh dialectic…

29. ICQ4EA says:

Gah! Typos from he!!

30. Joshua says:

While I do appreciate the sentiment of this interpretation, if you read the entire context from which this quote was taken, it's pretty clear Plato was talking about gambling.

31. Lisa says:

REALLY? Come on…a little simple, eh? Beautiful pic, but does it really speak to most people, without some words?

32. Cindy says:

Perfect. I am in a long distance relationship. One thing we always notice: if it has been more than six weeks since we have seen one another, any serious topic becomes warped and strained. We talk for two hours every night…but for the week or two we are tense from absence, we talk playfully. It makes the waiting tolerable and prevents serious subjects from being twisted into a lonely, desperate mess.

33. Lindsay says:

I love this quote. I definitely think I can take myself less seriously and incorporate more play and fun in all of my relationships.

34. yetti says:

You guys bum me out with your daily limit on free articles you can read. I try be selective all day, then I open one that’s only one sentence long with a quote maybe said by Plato..

35. Deb says:

Ironically, this quote was originally about gambling/gaming. But it can still apply.

36. sanscarbs says:

Is the quote the entire article?