Via on May 9, 2012

Update: it’s unreal that this is a real screengrab, also from yesterday:

Update: Politico’s fave Tweets from Yesterday. One of ‘em:

Pressure grows on Biden to say he thinks weed is pretty awesome too #thebidenbump — Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) May 9, 2012

Comment of the Day: “Please excuse me while I donate to the Obama campaign and look for opportunities to volunteer.”

I’ve been waiting for this moment for my entire lifetime. It feels better and better to be an American, lately:

The President of the United States of America just came out and declared personal support for Equality.

Gay Equality is our generation’s Civil Rights movement. A movement elephant has featured and covered since well before Prop 8. This here represents yet another inspiring milestone in the arc of human history, bending toward justice and love.

So many people are watching the video, it’s not loading on ABC News. And that’s a big site:

video platform video management video solutions video player

video platform video management video solutions video player

video platform video management video solutions video player

Obama Affirms Support for Same-Sex Marriage

President says his position on marriage has evolved.
Some key quotes:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

and

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

About Waylon Lewis

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

30 Responses to “The President of the United States of America just told North Carolina to take its 15 Electoral Votes and Go to Romney.”

1. A President that actually says what he believes, what he truthfully believes. That's a leader.

2. integralhack says:

Sadly this might contribute to him being a one-term president, but I think that was almost a given anyway given the economy and wars he inherited.

Good for him–speak truthfully and plainly. He tried to work with the "Party of No" which contradicted the "Yes We Can" Americans desperately wanted and needed. The right wing needs a shock, evidently, so give it to 'em.

• elephantjournal says:

We'll see. I think it'll reinspire many of the extreme liberals, and fire up a losing wedge issue for the Right. Young people, as he noted, are generally pro-equality, on both sides of the aisle. In any case, as you say, it was the right thing to do—and he waited long enough that he it was fait accompli, he didn't make it needlessly partisan, which would have been bad for the grassroots cause. ~ Waylon

• integralhack says:

Waylon, I think your optimism is the right response. The last thing we need is that old, tired beaten liberal attitude (evidenced by my remark above). Thanks for your gentle dharma whip!

I think I'm still smarting from the 2004 election (four more years, are you f***in kidding me!). We have to believe if it happened for "that guy," it can certainly happen for Obama.

• Ben_Ralston says:

I believe Obama is more than smart enough to get in again. I think he got Biden to 'come out' to measure the reaction, and it was good – so he did the same, and I am very optimistic about the next election (as a clueless Englishman living in Slovenia!)

• integralhack says:

Ben,

I have no doubt that Obama is smart enough–I just hope the electorate is smart enough to recognize this. We have a lot of right-wing media spin blaming him for the broken economy (which seems a tad less broken to me since he took office), the failings of "Obamacare" (which allowed my stepson to remain on our health insurance despite being out of college and who would have been otherwise uninsured), etc.

Many Americans have the curious notion that the president's administration can fix everything singlehandedly, but this not the case. As a result, we tend to blame the sitting president for everything that is not going well. There are some things you can trace back to an administration, however, like the wars the Bush Administration started, contributing to the economic downturn.

If we had more Ben Ralstons and Kate Bartollotta's voting, I would feel a lot better! For now, I'm just trying to cultivate Waylon's optimism. :)

• Ben_Ralston says:

be optimistic. It'll all be all right in the end :)

And when I said he's smart enough – I meant, as a politician. I think he knows exactly when to keep his mouth shut, when to speak out, he tests the waters, and he knows how to play the 'spin' game as well as anyone.
            For example – maybe the gay marriage issue will be a big one that detracts attention from the economic situation (at least in debates and so on).

3. SoylentGreen says:

Forward Indeed. I think his Base is finally awake. I just donated this afternoon – my very first political donation of my entire life.

4. I've been a supporter and proud of my president the whole term, but this—is awesome! So proud!

5. elephantjournal says:

As the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable.” In fact,

Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

6. elephantjournal says:

Also NY Times: "Mr. Romney has, over the years, made it clear that his opposition to same-sex marriage and civil unions is a deeply held moral conviction, and he has not shied from using strong language to describe the offense he has taken to its introduction." He opposes civil unions, too. So this isn't just about religion, then.

7. Mark Ledbetter says:

It's a nice gesture, at least if you believe govt should be in the business of deciding who can and cannot get married. But a major policy shift in the direction of human rights? Hardly.

So long as America is fighting wars and supporting a military-industrial complex; so long as America incarcerates millions for victimless crimes, the question of a govt sanction for de facto marriage is a tiny issue.

Consider this. We are limited in how many causes we can support and how vigorously we can support them. Human limitations mean we can only generate great excitement for one cause at the expense of another. If we allow our leaders to garner moral accolades for small things, they can ignore the big ones. If Pres. Obama can galvanize youth with gay marriage, he won't have to do a thing about the American War Machine or the American Gulag.

8. Amy says:

“Love should be allowed. I’m all for it. Now that I’ve got a pretty good idea what it is.”
    - Truman Capte, Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Thank You President Obama!!!

9. oz_ says:

It's rather difficult to NOT see this as political pandering to fire up his base. I don't buy his 'evolution' for a second. He just happened to evolve to this position at the beginning of his presidential re-election campaign?!?! Coincidence? Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people can be. Gotta love it when people start celebrating a politician who acted in a purely political way for principle. /sigh

The important thing, it seems to me, is that he took the stand. Even if it was crassly political, there's now a US president on record in favor of equal marriage rights for all. This is terrific – but if he winds up losing, then it could set this movement back considerably – becoming another 'third rail.' That is what is being risked here.

So even if the facts demonstrate conclusively that he is a mass murderer and a political opportunist and tool of the banksters – and if you think he's not, I suggest you are deep in denial and unwilling to face simple reality – I still hope like hell he wins.

• Ben says:

Oz, spot on. Anyone who is not suspect as to the timing of this revelation is naive at best. Politics have devolved into a game, a struggle for power. Unfortunately I don't believe we have any true statesmen anymore.

• Ben_Ralston says:

I believe that if you can't see a true statesman in Obama then you'll never, ever be satisfied.

• oz_ says:

Ben_Ralston – at this point, it's merely a *statement* that Obama has made – mere words, though to be sure, momentous words. But too understand where a politicians intentions lie, you must look at *actions* – at what he or she has done. This is where the Obama boosters I know – which is most of my friends – seem to be utterly blind. Most seem never to have become acquainted with the old saying 'actions speak louder than words' – and I'd argue that your statement indicates this includes you. After all, the vast majority of politicians tend to be professional liars, this has been the case for all of recorded history, and so the burden of proof is upon those who wish (so desperately, in this case, I might add) to believe to demonstrate the credibility of a politician's words.

So – let's see what sort of "true statesmen' Obama is by examining more than one suspiciously opportunistic *statement* he has made – let us look at *actions* shall we?

Let's factor in the statement he has made on gay marriage along with the following 3 factual stories (all 3 of which derive from liberal voices and are undisputed in terms of the facts) which detail official *actions* he has taken, OK? I would appreciate a response, because I've posted these stories on numerous EJ articles and have yet to get a single response – indicating at the very least a willful blindness on the part of the pro-Obama crowd. So far, that silence has been deafening – and this is a crowd that is supposed to – as part of our spiritual path – be working to see things as they truly are. Sadly, I see as much denial and delusion among Obama acolytes as I do among the Religious Right.

So we have a president who is clearly intent upon depriving Americans as a whole of their Constitutionally guaranteed civil liberties (for their own good, one presumes) while at the same time building a vast killing operation that to date has murdered over 1400 human beings (many of them women and children) – and who has now *stated* that he supports gay marriage.

What is a reasonable person to make of this compendium of facts? Is this, Ben, what you consider to be a "true statesman"?? If this is the case, all I can say is that, apparently, my definition differs considerably from yours.

• oz_ says:

BTW, there is an easier way to disprove this 'true statesman' nonsense – from a story by Amy Goodman of Democracy Now (not exactly a raving Conservative) – this factual tidbit:

"In 1996, while campaigning for state senator in Illinois, Obama wrote he supported same-sex marriage. While campaigning in 2008, then-U.S. Sen. Obama stated, “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman.” This week, he told ABC News, “It is important for me to affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.” "

This isn't 'statesmanlike' behavior – it is the behavior of a typical politician, saying in the moment whatever he determines to be in this political interest. Please, let's hear no more absurd claims to statesmanship regarding Obama. They fly too obviously in the face of reality.

10. faye says:

in case you haven't, check out Rachel's report on this topic. her brilliant insights, bringing forth such a political fire in me – what else? then watch her make cocktails after. you may just need one.

"but personally, i don't much care about a politician's personal beliefs. i care about whether a politician hurts people in their job as a politician. whether you are using your power to hurt people is the relevant thing. not how you feel about it privately while you're doing that."

• faye says:

if you watch the video, you can hear hear how Obama made changes to lighten the suffering American gays have endured for way too long. an impressive list it is.

11. [...] Yesterday, in what can only be described as historic the President of the United States came out on … [...]

12. Uma Simon says:

Even if it's politically motivated, he still made the right choice, unlike Romney who continues to make the wrong choices with regard to integrity.

• Mark Ledbetter says:

Not sure that integrity is the right word. If Romney believes that same-sex marriage is wrong, and he believes legislating your beliefs is right, then his opposition to gay marriage shows integrity.

If either Obama or Romney are following their beliefs, they are showing integrity. If either are following political motivation, then they aren't.

13. Mark Ledbetter says:

Ok, I'll revise a bit after seeing some of the world reaction. Yes, Pres. Obama's statement was important, not so much for supporting government sanction of marriage, which is a tiny issue among the list of human rights abuses, but for raising awareness of anti-gay discrimination.

Still, we're focusing on a relatively unimportant issue simply because it's a public issue. That makes it a safe and easy issue, not just for politicians but for the common person. But how about some awareness of bigger more important issues that don't happen to have a movement behind them? The above-mentioned incarceration of millions for victimless crimes would be a prime example..

I see a lot of press at Ele and elsewhere about people who can't get a paper sanction from the government; very little about millions in jail who shouldn't be there.

14. kcain48 says:

What the President said: I think same sex couples should be able to get married.
    This is not a surrender of North Carolina to Republicans in the fall election.
    What it might mean in North Carolina: The President has energized the younger voters who were on the losing side of Amendment One vote that bars same-sex marriage in our state and who rallied around him in this state four years ago.

15. [...] the fundamental human rights of liberty and equality then you should recognize this movement as a struggle for civil rights and you should be outraged at the atrocities [...]

16. [...] are delighted that Obama has recognized gay marriage as a fundamental right, for the soul is neither male nor female, gay or straight. The cover of [...]