Via on May 9, 2012

Update: it’s unreal that this is a real screengrab, also from yesterday:

Update: Politico’s fave Tweets from Yesterday. One of ’em:

Pressure grows on Biden to say he thinks weed is pretty awesome too #thebidenbump — Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) May 9, 2012

Comment of the Day: “Please excuse me while I donate to the Obama campaign and look for opportunities to volunteer.”

I’ve been waiting for this moment for my entire lifetime. It feels better and better to be an American, lately:

The President of the United States of America just came out and declared personal support for Equality.

Gay Equality is our generation’s Civil Rights movement. A movement elephant has featured and covered since well before Prop 8. This here represents yet another inspiring milestone in the arc of human history, bending toward justice and love.

So many people are watching the video, it’s not loading on ABC News. And that’s a big site:

video platform video management video solutions video player

video platform video management video solutions video player

video platform video management video solutions video player

Obama Affirms Support for Same-Sex Marriage

President says his position on marriage has evolved.
Some key quotes:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”

and

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

30 Responses to “The President of the United States of America just told North Carolina to take its 15 Electoral Votes and Go to Romney.”

1. A President that actually says what he believes, what he truthfully believes. That's a leader.

2. integralhack says:

Sadly this might contribute to him being a one-term president, but I think that was almost a given anyway given the economy and wars he inherited.

Good for him–speak truthfully and plainly. He tried to work with the "Party of No" which contradicted the "Yes We Can" Americans desperately wanted and needed. The right wing needs a shock, evidently, so give it to 'em.

3. SoylentGreen says:

Forward Indeed. I think his Base is finally awake. I just donated this afternoon – my very first political donation of my entire life.

4. I've been a supporter and proud of my president the whole term, but this—is awesome! So proud!

5. elephantjournal says:

As the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable.” In fact,

Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

6. elephantjournal says:

Also NY Times: "Mr. Romney has, over the years, made it clear that his opposition to same-sex marriage and civil unions is a deeply held moral conviction, and he has not shied from using strong language to describe the offense he has taken to its introduction." He opposes civil unions, too. So this isn't just about religion, then.

7. Mark Ledbetter says:

It's a nice gesture, at least if you believe govt should be in the business of deciding who can and cannot get married. But a major policy shift in the direction of human rights? Hardly.

So long as America is fighting wars and supporting a military-industrial complex; so long as America incarcerates millions for victimless crimes, the question of a govt sanction for de facto marriage is a tiny issue.

Consider this. We are limited in how many causes we can support and how vigorously we can support them. Human limitations mean we can only generate great excitement for one cause at the expense of another. If we allow our leaders to garner moral accolades for small things, they can ignore the big ones. If Pres. Obama can galvanize youth with gay marriage, he won't have to do a thing about the American War Machine or the American Gulag.

8. Amy says:

“Love should be allowed. I’m all for it. Now that I’ve got a pretty good idea what it is.”
    – Truman Capte, Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Thank You President Obama!!!

9. oz_ says:

It's rather difficult to NOT see this as political pandering to fire up his base. I don't buy his 'evolution' for a second. He just happened to evolve to this position at the beginning of his presidential re-election campaign?!?! Coincidence? Never ceases to amaze me how gullible people can be. Gotta love it when people start celebrating a politician who acted in a purely political way for principle. /sigh

The important thing, it seems to me, is that he took the stand. Even if it was crassly political, there's now a US president on record in favor of equal marriage rights for all. This is terrific – but if he winds up losing, then it could set this movement back considerably – becoming another 'third rail.' That is what is being risked here.

So even if the facts demonstrate conclusively that he is a mass murderer and a political opportunist and tool of the banksters – and if you think he's not, I suggest you are deep in denial and unwilling to face simple reality – I still hope like hell he wins.

10. faye says:

in case you haven't, check out Rachel's report on this topic. her brilliant insights, bringing forth such a political fire in me – what else? then watch her make cocktails after. you may just need one.

"but personally, i don't much care about a politician's personal beliefs. i care about whether a politician hurts people in their job as a politician. whether you are using your power to hurt people is the relevant thing. not how you feel about it privately while you're doing that."

11. […] Yesterday, in what can only be described as historic the President of the United States came out on … […]

12. Uma Simon Uma Simon says:

Even if it's politically motivated, he still made the right choice, unlike Romney who continues to make the wrong choices with regard to integrity.

13. Mark Ledbetter says:

Ok, I'll revise a bit after seeing some of the world reaction. Yes, Pres. Obama's statement was important, not so much for supporting government sanction of marriage, which is a tiny issue among the list of human rights abuses, but for raising awareness of anti-gay discrimination.

Still, we're focusing on a relatively unimportant issue simply because it's a public issue. That makes it a safe and easy issue, not just for politicians but for the common person. But how about some awareness of bigger more important issues that don't happen to have a movement behind them? The above-mentioned incarceration of millions for victimless crimes would be a prime example..

I see a lot of press at Ele and elsewhere about people who can't get a paper sanction from the government; very little about millions in jail who shouldn't be there.

14. kcain48 says:

What the President said: I think same sex couples should be able to get married.
    This is not a surrender of North Carolina to Republicans in the fall election.
    What it might mean in North Carolina: The President has energized the younger voters who were on the losing side of Amendment One vote that bars same-sex marriage in our state and who rallied around him in this state four years ago.

15. […] the fundamental human rights of liberty and equality then you should recognize this movement as a struggle for civil rights and you should be outraged at the atrocities […]

16. […] are delighted that Obama has recognized gay marriage as a fundamental right, for the soul is neither male nor female, gay or straight. The cover of […]