Summer is here, and sometimes a day in the sun without sufficient protection leads to sunburn.
Try these natural remedies to cool and soothe your red and unhappy skin.
- 1. Aloe vera gel is probably the best natural option for cooling and hydrating damaged skin. It is considered to be an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial too. Aloe is available in pharmacies, drug aisles in stores, and at natural food and health stores. Fresher products are believed to work better. And the clear gel of an aloe plant works even better.
- Apply it liberally several times a day to treat over-exposed skin. It provides quick relief by making the skin feel cold. Aloe also works to speed the healing of small wounds.
- 2. Cold water and compresses help remove heat from inflamed skin. Take a cold shower or bath, or place cold-water compresses over burnt areas. Some ingredients you might consider adding to a compress are: witch hazel, an astringent that seems to have a long-lasting anti-inflammatory relief, or vinegar (white or cider) another astringent that helps to relieve pain (use a 50-50 mixture with water for a compress). Some people add baking soda to a cold bath, or a cup of vinegar.
NOTE: Always pat burnt skin dry instead of rubbing it. And use skin moisturizers on damaged areas.
- 3. Raid your fridge and cupboards. A quick internet search revealed a host of home cures, including:
- –Rosehip Seed Oil (antioxidant and rehydrating oil)
- –Green Tea (Apply it to your burns, drink it, and put the tea bags on hot eyelids.)
- –Honey (an antibacterial wound healer)
- –Fat-Free Milk
- 4. Stay hydrated. Keep your body functioning well by drinking even more water to replenish your dehydrated body and skin—and eat healthy.
Richard Kujawski is Managing Editor for LivingGreenMag, an online publication that informs and educates readers on a range of environmental and lifestyle issues, and highlights various non-profit causes. Visit www.LivingGreenMag.com.
Editor: Hayley Samuelson.
Like elephant Health & Wellness on Facebook.
hot on elephant
Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 1 share A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 0 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 29,525 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 37,132 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,117 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,275 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 540 shares Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 456 shares I’m Done being your Dirty Little Secret. 0 shares 3 Seconds: “Joe Biden’s reaction to President Obama awarding him the Presidential Medal of Freedom (with distinction).” 1,164 share