Summer is here, and sometimes a day in the sun without sufficient protection leads to sunburn.
Try these natural remedies to cool and soothe your red and unhappy skin.
- 1. Aloe vera gel is probably the best natural option for cooling and hydrating damaged skin. It is considered to be an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial too. Aloe is available in pharmacies, drug aisles in stores, and at natural food and health stores. Fresher products are believed to work better. And the clear gel of an aloe plant works even better.
- Apply it liberally several times a day to treat over-exposed skin. It provides quick relief by making the skin feel cold. Aloe also works to speed the healing of small wounds.
- 2. Cold water and compresses help remove heat from inflamed skin. Take a cold shower or bath, or place cold-water compresses over burnt areas. Some ingredients you might consider adding to a compress are: witch hazel, an astringent that seems to have a long-lasting anti-inflammatory relief, or vinegar (white or cider) another astringent that helps to relieve pain (use a 50-50 mixture with water for a compress). Some people add baking soda to a cold bath, or a cup of vinegar.
NOTE: Always pat burnt skin dry instead of rubbing it. And use skin moisturizers on damaged areas.
- 3. Raid your fridge and cupboards. A quick internet search revealed a host of home cures, including:
- –Rosehip Seed Oil (antioxidant and rehydrating oil)
- –Green Tea (Apply it to your burns, drink it, and put the tea bags on hot eyelids.)
- –Honey (an antibacterial wound healer)
- –Fat-Free Milk
- 4. Stay hydrated. Keep your body functioning well by drinking even more water to replenish your dehydrated body and skin—and eat healthy.
Richard Kujawski is Managing Editor for LivingGreenMag, an online publication that informs and educates readers on a range of environmental and lifestyle issues, and highlights various non-profit causes. Visit www.LivingGreenMag.com.
Editor: Hayley Samuelson.
Like elephant Health & Wellness on Facebook.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 311 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 159 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 363 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 951 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,226 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 495 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,170 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,418 shares How we can Rewrite our Stories after Loving a Narcissist. 1,074 share