Flashmob: Carmina Burana, One of the Greatest Songs in Human History.

Via on Jun 9, 2012

Always one of my favorites, since I heard it as a young boy in Excalibur.

Carmina Burana O Fortuna, with lyrics that sound as if the Buddha wrote ‘em:

O Fortune,
just like the moon
thou art variable,
always dost thou
wax and wane.
Detestable life,
first dost thou mistreat us,
and then, whimsically,
thou heedest our desires.
As the sun melts the ice,
so dost thou dissolve
both poverty and power.

Monstrous
and empty fate,
thou, turning wheel,
art mean,
voiding
good health at thy will.
Veiled

with torture.
At this hour,
therefore, let us
pluck the strings without
delay.
Let us mourn together,
for fate crushes the brave.

Chills at 2:22:

YouTube Preview Image

SolistInnen, Chor, Orchester der Volksoper Wien boten im April Fahrgästen und Passanten eine besondere Performance. Die KünstlerInnen lösten sich aus der Menschenmenge – eine “Passantin” begann, weitere “PassantInnen” – sowie als ÖBB-MitarbeiterInnen verkleidete KünstlerInnen – setzten nach und nach ein.:

Bonus, Excalibur:

YouTube Preview Image

Bonus, full Carmina Burana, play it while you work? Better version? Link it in comments?

YouTube Preview Image

About elephant journal

If you liked this, you might like these:

12 Responses to “Flashmob: Carmina Burana, One of the Greatest Songs in Human History.”

1. Mamaste says:

Just intro'd onFB to: Culture & Family.
    ~Mamaste

2. Buddhananda says:

For a bit of humor: "misheard" Latin words of the poem O Fortuna sung in this piece: http://carmina.ytmnd.com/

3. Gabby says:

txs for the post… I cried…with all of them!
    namaste!

4. @emilyalp says:

Gorgeous post–thank you … and for intro-ing it with the lyrics, I offer double thanks! <3<3<3

5. faye says:

his just made my morning! danke danke danke, e. journal! i've seen this performed live in vienna even, and was just now transported to that goose-bumpy time. one of the many reasons i am happy to call germany home. this kind of activity can be seen here too, but the Viennese esp. do love their classical music and have a great sense of humor about it, as well! bravo! bravo!

6. faye says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pURObHVM8JM – Carmina Burana in the Congo? of course! and why not?

7. Broke my own "turn off wi-fi" rule so I could fall asleep listening to the full length version. The flash-mob version is goosebumpy awesome!

8. Howie says:

There is a scene in The Doors with this song in it as well.

9. Laura says:

Carmina Burana is not a "song", this just makes me cringe! it is a collection of poems. The most famous is the canata by Carl Orff. O Fortuna is likely the most well known piece but the entire work is gorgeous! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkgcUEGEZv4&fe… for O Fortuna, try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WROTlZ2yJsU for the whole work.

10. Hi! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

11. youtu says:

I appreciate, lead to I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

12. guest says:

that's awesome. Sadly, I can't listen to the music without thinking of this :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8 (oh fortuna; misheard lyrics). yeah, pretty much ruined it for me :)