Via on Jul 10, 2012

Barely Relephant Bonus: Date an Eco-Responsible Boy.

Bonus: The “Eco” Corn Cup: Trojan Horse for GMOs.

If you throw one more cigarette butt on the ground, I’m going to kick your ass.

You are not cool just because you are at Wakarusa/Summer Camp/Bonnaroo/Electric Forest and haven’t showered in over a week. You are not a true hippie, and you are not recreating some mythical Woodstock.

What you are, in my opinion, is an eco-asshole.

If you’re going to call yourself a hippie, or try to live a Woodstock-inspired lifestyle by frequenting today’s music festivals, please pick up your trash. (And even if you’re not trying to call yourself a hippie or recreate Woodstock, please pick up your f*cking trash!)

The Woodstock generation is the same generation that first spoke up about the damage we are doing to our earth everyday. The generation that started these festivals we love so much stood for peace and love, but also for protecting our beautiful planet.

If there was ever a time to recreate to the Woodstock generation’s passion for saving the environment from the devastation of a consumption based culture, it would be now.

But instead, all I see are teenagers throwing processed food, plastic and cigarette butts all over the beautiful places festivals are held. By doing that, not only are you disrespecting a place you paid to be in, you’re also giving the middle finger to the people that hoped these kinds of festivals would inspire change.

I know you probably think it doesn’t matter if you litter because someone else is paid to pick it up later.  To me, using that logic is the same as not brushing your teeth because you have a dentist you can pay to do that.

Shouldn’t we all be accountable for properly disposing of our own trash at festivals? Shouldn’t we all be working together to create the best experience for everyone?  It’s hard to have a good experience when you step barefoot into a plate of day-old peperoni pizza.

Most of these festivals even make vast efforts to make it easy for you to not be an eco-douche. They have trashcans every 50 feet with signs that explain what can be recycled and composted. Is it really that hard to use them?

If we keep trashing the venues we love so much, they will lose their beauty. Then, where will our grandchildren party?

In order to protect our festival venues for future generations, I think the solution is quite simple. All you have to do is self-enforce a Leave No Trace policy and “never let it hit the ground.”

It may sound annoying to you, but the practice of leaving no trace helped create such an amazing experience for everyone that it inspired me to continue to do so in my daily life (as much as possible).

So please, pick up your trash as festivals (and everywhere else); it’s really not that hard. And if you already do, please help me to remind those who forget.

burning man

Change starts with you.

To learn more about the efforts music festivals are making to become greener, please check out these sites:

Electric Forest: Electric-ology Progam.

Bonaroo: Greening and Green Activism.

Sonic Bloom: Keep the Scene Green.

Wakarusa: Recycalusa.

Summer Camp: Festival Greening Initiatives.

~

Coachella.WhoWoreWhat08

Bonus: Yoga Festival Packing Checklist: Top Ten Things to Bring.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cassandra Smith was formerly an editorial intern at elephant journal and and is currently the social media and marketing coordinator at Gabriel Sales.  She is a fifth generation Colorado native who believes dance has the potential to liberate human consciousness from its cultural prison.  Cassandra formerly trained at Boston Ballet and recently graduated from University of Colorado Boulder with degrees in journalism and sociology. Visit her website at cassandralanesmith.com, and follow her on Twitter.

Like elephant Green on Facebook.

About elephant journal

348 Responses to “Dear 18-year-old Kid with Dreadlocks & a Grateful Dead T-Shirt… ~ Cassandra Smith”

1. Great article. Thanks, Cassandra.

Bob W. Associate Publisher
    facebook, twitter, linkedIn

Thanks, Bob!

• Sweaty says:

The original hippies weren't much better when it came to music festivals.

In fact, they were probably worse.

Check this out for the aftermath of Woodstock. (or just google it y'alls selves).

Hippies were never very high on personal responsibility. Maybe their ideals included environmental stuff, but when ideals clash up against personal responbility, big groups of hippies at festivals tend to go messy.

2. Kelly W says:

best article I’ve seen published on EJ.

3. karlsaliter says:

Nice! Loved the title, and the message is dead on.

4. BalletNut says:

Great article! I hope this goes viral!!!!!

5. Lisa says:

Not a fan of this article. The first two sentences were not uplifting and could be a more enjoyable read for the reader with the same information. You think it's just "You are not cool just because you are at Wakarusa/Summer Camp/Bonaroo/Electric Forest and haven’t showered in over a week. You are not are true hippie, and you are not recreating Woodstock," people, I think not. This article should speak to all people that commit these eco crimes. Teenagers are often oblivious to anything but their little bubble, probably most will always be, unless they are raised right, and I bet in years past it was ten times worse.

• dusty says:

garbage is not an uplifting subject and sometimes a "gentler" isn't always the most effective, especially with teenagers. the fact that some people still litter today surrounded by all the messaging and information available, is truly astonishing to me.

• cassandralanesmith says:

I appreciate both of your comments. I tend agree with the idea that Dusty presented above when it comes to being uplifting and speaking gently. I'm not really talking to mature adults in this message, who are the one most receptive to that type of message. I'm talking to younger people who have maybe never been told that littering is extremely disrespectful and kind of a big deal. Sometimes you have to be harsh to get their attention. I do agree with you that it was probably much worse in the past, but I think we should have progressed much farther than we have. That might be because I live in Boulder though.

• terri hawley says:

Thank you. I agree. Woodstock left a lot of trash. We were oblivious for a time, we got wise.

• NanaNocturnal says:

It should be targeted towards everyone, but it's never bad to start somewhere, especially with the well involved youth exclaiming their love for the earth through stereo types and producing adverse results. Also recent events seem to capture more attention then others.

• Brooke says:

Why must everything be "uplifting" these days?? Not everything is going to be uplifting. Sometimes the truth is messy, sometimes it hurts… We need to stop whining about it and acting like the truth has to be pussy-footed around so it is uplifting and learn to deal with the pain and the mess. I do not think anything is ever going to get better if we don't learn this.

• captainkona says:

"and I bet in years past it was ten times worse."

No, it wasn't. You ("you" does not necessarily mean Lisa) young people these days are borderline worthless. Arrogant (as your quote proves), and as a result of your arrogance you are incapable of learning from example. You feel as though you deserve high pay for doing nothing, you cannot follow even the most simple directives and are insulted when subjected to constructive criticism.

How do I know all this? I just fired nine people, all between the ages of 19 and 29, for all or some of the aforementioned reasons. You steal and have the nerve to protest when you get fired. You lie so frequently and compulsively that you often don't even realize your lying. Stealing and lying are second nature for you and you don't even understand why it makes you bad people.

No personal code to live by, no honor, no sense of shame. No understanding of the benefits of humility.

Why am I holding you to such a high standard? It's not a high standard, it's the way everyone was in the '60s and '70s. It's par.

Now if this isn't you, good. I hope it's not. And I understand that there are exceptions. My nephew is one. Graduated on the Dean's List from ITT Tech and now attends UT. I know it's not all of you, but it's way, way too many. 40 years ago you would never see people walk by and take pictures of someone that just got hit by a car and not even bother to help. That is exclusive to today's teen/20 somethings.

The piece of crap that your generation has turned Festivals like Bonnaroo into is a disgrace. You demand respect but offer none. Therefor you get what you're reading now. Utter scorn. You've earned it.

• Kayla says:

Some of us have earned it but keep in mind that it was your generation that raised us to have whatever values we have today. Seems unfair to blame it all on the kids that were raised by contemptible people

• bobf says:

No more borderline worthless than anyone over 45. Like the 52 year old I terminated for always being late (his excuse always had to do with some girls soccer he was referee of, like i care) or the 62 year old that never felt she had to work because she was disabled, and took weeks of sick days, or the 51 year old black guy that always threatened to go to the eeoc if his incomptent, sub-standard work was ever questioned. All eventually fired. Did I mention they all worked unskilled hourly positions?

The 60's and 70's was "par?" So being a burnout hippie unemployed protester that traveled in a beat up, unregistered vw was the high standard? How about after subscribing to free love then later helping to elect such great visionaries like Reagan (how is that service economy working out for us)? How about when your rocket scientist of a generation thought borrowing against your kids future for temporary gains was a good idea?

But at least you don't have a "sense of entitlement" like the youngsters, right? Except when it comes to government programs you're about to benefit from. Oh, and human apathy is exclusive to 20-somethings? That's why studies on the Bystander Effect started in the late 60's, right? Christ, too many of you old farts are so convinced of your superiority until someone actually EDUCATED comes along to point out your bs. So likewise, i offer my scorn. Not because you're older than me, but because you're gullible and stupid. Grow up already.

• dk38 says:

Thanks for the lecture, dad… I don't care how your son did at ITT tech, which is a borderline money making scam. it was your generation that made college the scam it is today. its hard to find jobs today, the numerous internships and the cost of a masters degree make people angry. so, get off your high horse.

• Rocher says:

I could not agree more. The 'I'll just throw my trash on the ground' mentality exists in every demographic, though in my 15+ years as a professional in the festival business, I would confidently say that the 'hippy' shows are almost the filthiest, second only to the pop country crowd. Add camping to any event and every campsite is a wasteland of trash and discarded belongings. Some promoters are trying to make it easy for you to be responsible for your trash and/or recycling. Many don't bother anymore because even after setting out hundreds of recycle cans and paying for a recycling service, so much recycling materials still end up on the ground or in the trash. The attitude amongst the money people is easily swayed. Why should they pay extra to offer recycling when our patrons couldn't care less? In my view, this comes down to personal responsibility. My trash=my responsibility.

• Russell says:

Thanks for your opinion, Lisa. I agree with what you say. Anyone who thinks its a good idea to TELL teenagers what to do forgets what its like to be a teenager. Any behavioralist would say that the best way to create change inside a person is to present it as a choice, and convince them to choose the appropriate direction. Yelling at teenagers has never worked, why should it now? Everyone get off of Lisa's case.

ALSO, you all should look at what Telluride Bluegrass Festival does to be sustainable and reduce litter. Its an amazing thing to watch all the campsites compete to be the most sustainable and litter-free camp.

• Jed says:

I agree, thanks!

6. Risa says:

Wow! Great message as a whole, but pretty confrontational and unsound… Yesterday's "hippies" are some of the most UN-environmentally sound people around today:) Looking at pictures of Woodstock, I would not have guessed that it was produced in an "environmentally sound" way, at all… While, yes, there will always be those members of a generation that do not live up to others standards. But instead of pointing fingers outwards, just keep on doing what is important to you and set an example for those around you… dreadlocked, dead heads included.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment, Risa. I agree that Woodstock was not a green festival, but I do think Burning Man does much better, which is why I closed the article with their method as an example to follow. I didn't mean to accusingly point fingers. I just meant for this to be a wake up call to those who may have never been told that this behavior is disrespectful and careless. Your point is well taken though, and I love dreadlocks and The Dead!

• Onlooker says:

Keep in mind that Woodstock was overrun by multitudes of extra people, clearly not possible to accommodate the trash or other waste. Now, in the world of foam coolers and plastic everything, proper receptacles are every where on festival grounds. Ignorance and laziness must be confronted.

7. Lisa says:

Though good message for all people including teenagers.

8. Tracie says:

I'm with you 100% on this message!! I was taking a walk with our teenaged babysitter one day and when she finished drinking her soda, she shoved the empty cup into someone's shrub as we walked by their house. I unloaded a can of verbal whoop ass on her and told her if I ever saw her litter like that again, I was going to dump the contents of my kitchen trash can on top of her car so she could see how it feels to have to live in other people's garbage. They're clueless unless/until they're taught/shown.

• Lisa says:

That was my mother's exact attitude. It's about, of course not in every case, education and good parenting and inspiring the youngsters, and adults (even worse if you ask me, no excuse!) to care.

• Mom says:

Hire a new babysitter! I wouldn't want her around my kids.

9. Melanie says:

In theory, I like going to music festivals, but the trash everywhere is what makes an otherwise enjoyable experience unpleasant. Dancing on discarded water bottles and plastic cups is not fun. I appreciate your article Cassandra, because it’s really not that hard to throw your trash away or put it in your backpack to dispose of later. I’ve been to Burning Man, too, and that is proof that tens of thousands of people can throw a giant party and not trash the land.

• Lisa says:

Re: Burningman: They clean up for a very long time afterwards at Burningman in Black Rock City. Even pack- in, pack- out is not 100%, they clean up after the party.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Right?! I just think littering is such an easy thing to do that it's so disrespectful not to. I like dancing barefoot, and it sucks to have to look down all the time. Thanks for your comment!

10. ryan says:

Yeah cause the “real” hippies didn’t leave mountains of trash at woodstock right?

• cassandralanesmith says:

I did not mean to insinuate that everyone at Woodstock was a "real" hippie. I just referenced a subculture's connection with certain cultural and ideological values. I'm well aware that Woodstock was probably worse in terms of littering than the festivals I attend today. Most people who were at Woodstock probably didn't recycle and had no idea what composting was. And the festival was much, much larger than had been anticipated, meaning there were probably not enough trashcans and no option to recycle. But it's been 43 years since Woodstock; and festivals have organized to make it incredibly easy to throw everything away as responsibly as possible. I don't think the example to follow is Woodstock (although I do agree with many of the things the people there stood for), which I why I proposed Burning Man's method as exemplary.

• Jonathan Waller says:

I find it counter productive that you start off by telling these people they are not true hippies because they throw trash and then excuse hippies the past because it wasn't so easy! Making generalisations about some mythical form of hippy whoo you then compare the modern version to, is not only flawed but perpetuates "us and them" thinking.

AS said elsewhere call them on throwing trash and being hypocritical in areas. But if an attitude or behaviour is "wrong" then it is wrong for all.

For an "open minded" site I see lots of writing making arguments that, there are "only certain" ways practice yoga, live life or in this case, be a hippie..

• captainkona says:

Woodstock wasn't expected to have the turnout it had and those who put on the show did not provide for adequate waste disposal. Modern festivals do.

Don't talk about events you never attended.

• Katy says:

Exactly!

• Dave says:

actually a lot people hung around for a couple of days to pick up the trash and put it into piles so that it would be easier to pick up

11. Michael says:

Good piece, and I also get annoyed with the wannabe neo-hippies who don't even know what they are hippie-ing about.. But in fairness, look at footage or photos of Woodstock '68 after it was over — it was a filthy, toxic disaster area that took days, and bulldozers, and a lot of money to clean up: http://themakingofwoodstock.com/cleanup/index.htm…. So unfortunately, the original and "real" hippies really didn't set many good examples.

• Gabbi says:

THANK YOU for pointing out that Woodstock, although an amazing place / idea, was just as bad as any festival now, if not worse because of the amount of people there.

• Elena says:

Exactly. We are all evolving. ANd those young kids are just trying to find their place. Set an example, absolutely. But giove 'm a break!

• reebi says:

Also, this "we were the REAL hippies, smacks of we are the REAL Americans or the real whatevers crap sentiment needs to stop". Every generation has it's crap and unfortunately, many, not all, but truly en masse amounts of the peace out, environmentally, anti-war folks of the 60's and 70's turned out to be the biggest group of voracious locusts on the planet. I agree with the sentiment of this article…in cleaning up after festivals, but the opening was inflammatory and insulting. Baby boomers should be willing to clean their own houses and messes in every way and show the youth how to take responsibility by example.

12. Michael says:

PS: I just got back from one of my regular trips to Asia, and in Vietnam in particular, it is perfectly normal for people to throw trash out car windows, off moving scooters (which are everywhere), or just about anywhere else. When I was growing up (70's) it was still not unusual for people to throw stuff out car windows, but fortunately that is pretty rare here now. So when I see it over there now, it is really more shocking than you might think such a "little" thing should be. Makes me sick.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comments, Michael. I'm with you that the people at Woodstock were probably just as bad, if not much worse than those at today's festivals. My point was about that generation's ideological values more than the specific festival. I'm just frustrated that we haven't come further than we have in terms of environmental responsibility. Shouldn't we have learned from the past's mistakes?

• absolutely amazed says:

"When I was growing up (70's) it was still not unusual for people to throw stuff out car windows, but fortunately that is pretty rare here now."

dude wait what? i wish throwing trash out of car windows was rare here! i'm amazed that it is where you live. but yea… too many people just have their heads up their asses and don't actually care about the world around them, not just scene kid wannabe hippies (although it's pretty amazing among that group, because they claim to be conscious about the earth.)

13. Lisa says:

So funny that people are ripping on teenage "hippies"

• elephantjournal says:

Amen: hippie style [does not equal] hippie way of life! How many "hippies" have we seen driving an SUV, say?

14. Well said! I am a frequent burner and have gone to a few of these kinds of festivals and it KILLS me to see so-called 'spiritual' and 'enlightened' people trashing the land and leaving beer cans in the port-o-potties–if we have no respect for our immediate environment, it is a clear lack of respect for our own selves and humanity as a whole…

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks, Candice! It's definitely a respect issue, and when you've seen how burners do it, it's so frustrating to see people acting without any care at all. (P.S-I love your articles!)

15. devacat says:

I agree with the sentiment, but we smoked a lot of everything back in the day. Ryan has it right.

• cassandralanesmith says:

I think the drugs still are a part of the problem. And I don't think we should idolize everyone who attended Woodstock. Read what I responded to Ryan. I appreciate your comment!

• devacat says:

You're too young to remember Woodstock. I'm not. I didn't refer to drugs as a problem. It was a different era and a different ethos. There were no recycling bins back then, and it bore no resemblance to the sanitized and organized festivals you're talking about.

16. lol says:

I'm the only real hippie!

17. Phil says:

I agree with your motive and main argument, but don't believe for a second that Woodstock had anything to do with eco-friendliness. Max's farm post Woodstock: http://s4.hubimg.com/u/2528207_f520.jpg

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment, Phil. I wasn't trying to insinuate that the Woodstock festival was the example we should follow (see my response to Ryan above). I think the environmental/green movement has gained most of its momentum and followers after that festival. Today's festivals are trying to correct Woodstock's mistakes; it's just that the attendees don't want to participate.

• elephantjournal says:

True on that count—folks there did care about the earth, I'm sure, generally, but from the long lines of cars and on, Woodstock was hard on our environment.

18. peter burrell says:

I was prepared to be amused at an 18 year old adopting his or her grandparents' symbols of rebellion and intoxication (Garcia and ganja) as a taking-off point about making new things of your own.

Eco-anything was much more of an afterthought for the woodstock generation than anything else. The real work was being done by folks like John Muir, Aldo Leopold, Rachel Carson and Clair Patterson.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment, Peter. I'll admit, I've never heard of those people, but as I'm interested in the subject, I'll definitely check them out!

• Leslie says:

John, Aldo, Rachel and Clair….the New Age versions of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

19. Margie says:

Good article. It's not the wardrobe its the role you're willing to play. I would like to add one thing though…The first people in the Western tradition to be concerned about the treatment of the environment were the Romantic poets and then later the Transcendentalists. The hippies were greatly inspired by them….

20. Rob says:

Why the attack? What is a REAL hippie anyway? I agree that it would be nice to not have so much garbage left on the ground but there is a better way to write about the problem without a personal attack. Bad karma.

• cassandralanesmith says:

It wasn't really meant to be a personal attack on any one person. I was generalizing about observations I've made over the past few weeks at festivals. And I'm of the belief that if people don't treat others as they they would want to be treated, they should be told (I stole that from Hunter S. Thompson). Thanks for your comment!

• Jonathan Waller says:

But making specific attack at an identified type of modern hippie generalised statements is a good thing? you identify a type based upon where they go and how they dress. while also making generalised statements about the good old days of hippies..

21. Suri_k8 says:

Are you serious?!! Do you even know what you are talking about?! Please , do google Woodstock aftermath images … and you will realize that your romantic vision of Woodstock is nonsense.

Max Yasgur the owner of the farm where the event took place wasnt very happy either “His farm covered in trash, obliterated by a half a million young people partying their asses off…”

Also…As if the Woodstock crowd wasnt composed in its entirety by stupid stoned teenagers.

• Getoverit says:

Woodstock was the death of a movement and Burns are now the rebirth of a tradition of taking care of what you love. This type of romantacisim of our hippie past is inspiring a generation to evolve the culture into something more sustainable and is easier for society to accept. Chivalry is dead. Long live Chivalry.

Take that you dirty hippie scum.

22. Dave says:

Yeah, they ARE recreating the Woodstock generation.

Hippies, on average, seemed just as self-absorbed and destructive as kids today. I think you're romanticizing that "movement"–to whatever degree there was genuineness or cohesiveness to any of it. That doesn't changes the point that people should deal with their trash with the most appropriate methods, and try to create a lot less of it in the first place.

Also, I agree with some who say this article is overly confrontational, but then that is true of a LOT of Elephant's posts. They can also tend to be narcissistic, under-informed, and underdeveloped. That's my opinion, for whatever it's worth, and it certainly doesn't apply to all of Elephant's contributors. But if I were making reading recommendations to a friend interested in modern spiritual outlooks, this site wouldn't be on the list because it promotes too much pride and anger and not enough wisdom and compassion.

23. max says:

wood stock took several days and a reported 100 grand to clean up being a hippie was about political freedom. sure a lot of them were conscious of our effect on the world but the base of your argument is completely moot. next time just focus on the issue instead of grasping at straw iconic ties

24. Tiney says:

I was just at Electric Forest and i actually found the venue and camp sites to stay extremely clean. I can't remember one instance I was dismantled by the filth. When a venue is that beautiful i think it inspires people to do the right thing. I agree with you totally, but your snarky attitude needs to be reexamined.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment, Tiney. I was just at Electric Forest as well (I covered the event for elephant) and that festival was the main inspiration for me writing this article. I don't think you and I can be talking about the same event, or you must have a much different interpretation of what clean is than I do. That festival was the least green and most littered festival I have ever attended. I was completely grossed out. I also didn't intend to be mean by writing this article; my intention was to be humorous. I think many people reading this article didn't catch the sarcastic tone I intended, which may be my own fault for not choosing different language.

• kay says:

i don't really think the intention of humor was achieved here.. the sarcastic tone was caught, but not received. an attitude of sarcasm certainly isn't going to raise the vibration.

• Brianna says:

Hmmm…maybe our standards for what is clean has gone down? I think the author's tone is meant to be humorous. Sometimes that's what it takes to get a point across, even if exaggerated. Thanks for the insight into this issue and the laughs Cassandra.

• elephantjournal says:

Coachella, last year, tried hard to be green—but every show was left covered in trash. This isn't about snark, hopefully, it's about walking our talk.

• wildness says:

Choose you festivals wisely

25. DEADHEAD says:

i think the underlying issue is that most of the people littering are the kids that bring 1000 glowsticks to throw on the ground, and the frat douches that feel entitled to do what-ever the fuck they want because their parents payed $320 for a vip ticket… douche bags with neon wayfarers and "SEX DRUGS AND DUBSTEP" shirts should be the target of this article. most of the dead lots i've been on were extremely clean and well kept, mostly because the inhabitants lives are spent there, direct your shit talking to those who deserve it.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment. I think you have an excellent point and I probably should have mentioned something about that in the article. However, the Further lots I've seen haven't been much better than the dubstep festies, so I don't think deadheads should be left out of the "shit talking," as you put it.

• elephantjournal says:

And this isn't about shit talking. This is about lovin' up our Momma Earth, and taking responsibility and enjoying doing so, and giving our children and their children etc a green earth to inherit. It's about love, man!

• tone says:

string cheese has the cleanest scene and lot IMO. I agree that this article should be directed to teeny bop wompers sucking on their pacifiers as well, but i still thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

• ThatGuy says:

I was the first person I know of to coin "Sex drugs and dubstep". I'd wear that shit. How about not being an egotistical "douche bag" by labeling everyone. I cleaned up after myself at the festivals I've been to. I don't litter (unless its bio-degradable). Geeks, freaks, hippies, punks, ravers and frat douches. Labels don't make a person.

• YouAreSoLame says:

wow. you want to claim "sex drugs and dubstep". congrats. you can take it. please take it – far far away, and don't come back.

• Erin says:

Personally I don't think there's any point in risking the "biodegradable" stuff – just pick it all up. Just because something is labeled biodegradable doesn't mean it will go away fast enough. You could always start a compost pile and throw biodegradables in it.

• elephantjournal says:

Best comment ever, in one sentence: "How about not being an egotistical "douche bag" by labeling everyone."

That said, props for cleaning up, and thanks for the comment and passion.

26. ULTRA<sigh> says:

i totally agree with the basis of the article but it was defintly rude and pretentious…. as burner i am all about leave no trace but talking down to the people who arent aware of what they are doing is not the way to teach….lead by example and dont try to be holier than thou because you dont litter……half of burning man is pretentious…" my art is to tell you what to do" so please try not to spread negativity with false knowledge and a hateful title but instead talk about the positive ways people can teach themselves how to change….we all know that dubstep is ruining our lives :) but when these kids wake up and look around them and want to creat and give back thats when they can be better people….not when others tell them they are idiots and force their ideals on them…..right or wrong i never listen to people talking down to me

• cassandralanesmith says:

This article was not intended to be hateful or pretentious or rude. I intended this article to be humorous, but apparently my sarcastic tone is too dry for some.

• ULTRA<sigh> says:

honestly this is an issue that shouldnt be taken lightly and if you were being sarcastic and humurous than it pretty much invalidates everything you said

• cassandralanesmith says:

I don't think that picking up cigarette butts is the most paramount issue facing young people today, even though it is an important one. I also don't think everything that is serious has to be spoken about seriously. Obviously, I do believe people should pick up their trash, but I don't think saying "please" and "thank you" to young kids at their first festival is the best method. You may, and that's fine.

Hunter S. Thompson believed that people should treat others (which I interpret to mean Mother Nature as well) how they want to be treated; and if they didn't, they needed to be told. You may not believe in this sentiment, but I do. I think you can tell people in creative ways that might get their attention better than simply picking up your own trash. The humor of this piece was intended to be the tone of it, not the message itself.

27. roo_vian says:

You spelled Bonnaroo wrong.

28. WestCoastFestiKid says:

I totally agree with this article. Leave no trace, it’s not a hard concept. Now for these festi kids in the MidWest and East Coast, they don’t really know about leaving no trace, because nobody has ever shown them. That to me is sad. I think leaving no trace is an important part of our culture. Then again The West Coast is the best place in this country, so maybe I’m expecting too much from the rest of the country.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment! I think you're right. Have you seen the TED talk about Transformational festivals? I think those are probably the ones that do best with being green and sustainable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tDpQp6m0A.

• SisterSmiley says:

wow

• GonePhishin says:

Easy there, finger pointer. You're generalizing. I'm an East Coast "festi kid" (adult). and while I have run into some atrocious messes at shows and festivals, most people that I see ARE picking up after themselves. My policy is to go to the bin with a full load, both hands full, regardless if it's my trash or not. I have no doubt in my mind that you also experience littering d-bags on your precious west coast.

• dk38 says:

yeah, the west coast is great… expensive los angeles is really making the world a better place. get off your high horse

29. Blue says:

Beyond leaving "no trace"…leave something better than you found it…is my motto. For example every time I camp I spend time picking up what others left behind, as well as my own trash (that said we grow our own and dehydrate our own food and pack into small containers so our trash is minimal to begin with). Also just because someone was at Woodstock doesn't mean they are a true hippie…how many of them grew up and out of that scene and into the yuppie generation that has over consumed thus creating more waste?!!! To me the term "hippie" encompasses a way of life…some live it and some don't. If you live it it takes ongoing consciousness to all thing that matter like the environment, how you treat people, how you treat animals and the environment, how you treat yourself. For me it also means homesteading and providing for myself and my family. Its also about thinking for yourself, and outside the box, and questioning the status quo. It's not about what music festivals you attend or not. That is just a side stage of one's life who may or may not be a "true hippie."

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks, for your comment Blue. Your story is very inspiring. I definitely agree with you about "hippie" meaning much more than just being at Woodstock or any festival. "…it it takes ongoing consciousness to all thing that matter like the environment, how you treat people, how you treat animals and the environment, how you treat yourself." Well said!

30. boom says:

I believe that the actions of the music festival culture, such as excessive waste and blindness to reality, are rooted in a bed of self-righteousness and ignorance. Music festivals have changed drastically since the first one I attended since age 14. There has been a steady progression away from deep conversation, creative solutions and exploratory sociality, towards a huge flock of barely-coherent inebriated, egotistical peacocks. IMHO, this is resultant of a focus on FASHION and STATUS, which veils problems and creates a focus on SEX, not CHANGE or PROGRESSION. It pains me to say it, but I have grown to DESPISE the burning man-esque 'mad max,' fuzzy leg warmers with sexy lace and re-factored stuffed animal-hat style. It hurts, because I helped develop that style when it wasn't cool [at all] and was just 'fun,' because we took trash and turned it into things people had never seen before. We weren't elitests either, unlike the new blood in the scene, we were friendly and drew no line between us and everyone else. We tended to seek out people who were the most timid, shy and reserved, in the attempt to help them express themselves, and it often worked! Clothes were only a way to challenge perception. We did it to open everyone's eyes to that possibilities of clothing, in the hopes people would evolve it, make something of their own and stop purchasing overpriced crap from China. Alas, it didn't quite work out like that, and instead, we've got a 10 mile long elephant-walk of misguided late-teens taking turns humping each other, that get 90% of their supplies for THE BURN from Walmart [Ruthless Chinese Investors <3 Burning Man] … The new generation, in all their narcissistic, self-righteous glory, are just piggy-backing on our antiquated style, to enhance their desires of promiscuous sex with strangers and further rationalize their selfishness through 'free love' and 'self expression.' Inadvertently, and blindly perpetuating the ignorance of the consumer culture. It doesn't worry me too much though, being lemmings, I have no doubt they will just follow each other off a cliff. Never again will I attempt to help society … this quote comes to mind: "Don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you feel alive, because what the world needs is people who feel ALIVE." In the end, I believe a small sectarian pod of this 'movement' will branch of and make Music Festivals a thing of the past. They will rise up, and create real gatherings: Gatherings based solely on art installations and live music (like BM used to be before EDM took over the world), trading skills/workshops and traveling education … one can dream.

• cassandralanesmith says:

I appreciate your comment. I only started going to festivals a few years ago, so I can't speak to what it might have been like in the past, but I think you probably have a point about EDM's effect on festivals in general. When it comes to Burning Man, I understand what you mean by young kids possibly "piggybacking" on the style of the previous generation, but isn't imitation the highest form of flattery? My friends and I love the crazy Burning Man style, but we all try to put a personal and unique spin on it by making our own unique costumes from scratch. I do take some issue with your comment: "We weren't elitests either, unlike the new blood in the scene, we were friendly and drew no line between us and everyone else." To me, by saying that you are better than today's BM "elitists," aren't you positioning yourself as an elitist yourself and at the same time drawing a line between you and everyone else?

31. Sojourner says:

This article is so full of judgement that it will never reach or touch any young person who might need to learn something about responsibility. Hating on hippies is probably not going to bring about the change you’re looking for. I’d rather litter than talk about people the way you do. Sorry.

32. jason says:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=439773076…. thats a link to a document the dead released in 88. personally its not just the people that could do more. the venues half the time are understaffed dont have volunteers and its hard to keep the stage area clean with trash cans five feat in front of you towering in trash and spreads to the ground and moved kicked or just becomes the leaf pile of trash.. and some of the festivals there are people that are doing to much with no one to set them right its everyones fault and the bigger the festival and the more bands that are there its like to get these people that just dont care. used to bring glass and dogs to festivals and people ruined it for everyone… i agree that if we dont take care of our parks and parking lots, and cities they wont be as clean as we found them that is a shame yet everyone could do more.

33. alecperkey says:

The metaphor about the dentist isn't very good because you don't pay a dentist to regularly brush your teeth while you do pay the venue to regularly clean up afterword.

What is probably worse for the environment is people working for environmentally-destructive corporations (so many of the hippie kids work in fast food or industry) to fund their ticket purchases.

Or think about all the gas to drive around to these festivals…

Also, love to see there is a module to tip your writer. Very cool. Nice user experience on this website.

34. wildness says:

I went to Wilmers Park in the early 90's and Trip was the first person I hugged. He had a wagon with Tweety Bird in it. He had a sign around his neck saying" I will give you Hugs for your trash". I hugged him 9 times that day and he inspired me to continue this tradition for the rest of my shows!… R.I.P. I love you Trip–Peace and KEEP IT Clean!!!! Thank you!

35. Zebbler says:

I absolutely love you for pointing out the need to keep our festivals clean.

BUT please correct yourself on saying that Woodstock was something to be inspired by on that level. Woodstock was absolutely horribly trashed by the time everyone was done with it – those kids needed the same lesson badly.

I have to commend festivals like Burning Man, Electric Forest and Lightning in a Bottle for doing a good job educating their attendees in our current environment.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thank you for your comment! I am aware of the aftermath of Woodstock, and while I'll admit that I may have romanticized the subculture I referenced, I didn't mean to insinuate that everyone at Woodstock was a "real" hippie who picked up their trash. I do think that we should follow the example of the method Burning Man uses, which I've heard is the best.

36. @CSeistrup says:

As a rock climber and mountain biker, I always exercise these principals. Enough garbage, and there's no more fun. We have to have respect for what we are allowed to do on others property, and especially public lands!

37. Fakon says:

"I saw and learned how this works at Burning Man, where the amount of littering is close to zero. All of the participants work together to keep their environment trash-free and take all of their trash with them when they leave."

Hahahahahaahahahaaa…
    Oh man, oh man. You need to stick around a a day or two after Exodus then, because then you would see how much trash is left behind. Heck last year alone I saw a pile of trash bags next to the porta-potties at 6 and E, that had to have had more trash then in your first picture.

Between myself and my companion we had two and half bags of trash for almost three weeks at TTITD, but ended up bringing back home with us six bags of trash. Because we kept finding shit rolling around on the playa, or spotted a loner trash bag that needed friends.

I'm not even going to bring up the infrastructure, and couches people leave behind every year.

On a side note, you might want to list festivals that everyone will know about. Because I've never heard of any of those.

• cassandralanesmith says:

Thanks for your comment, Fakon. I've never stayed after Exodus, so I can't speak to what it looks like after. All I know is that my camp and I did everything we could to leave no trace, and from what I saw, it looked pretty damn clean. Much cleaner than Electric Forest. I listed the festivals that I believe have a much higher level of littering and disrespect, most of which have over 10,000 attendees, so I'm pretty sure a few people have heard of them.

38. Amy says:

Someone once passed on these words to me, "If there's trash around, there're fake people around" Simply put, clean up after yourselves. Don't preach green and sustainability, if you aren't prepared to do it yourself. I also want to mention that there are other events, oh for example most recently city parades and fireworks where thousands of people go, and leave trash everywhere! It seems to happen most frequently when we are in crowds, so set the example at any large scale event. WE ALL NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THE PLANET. The hippies can't do it alone, and shouldn't have to.

39. druid ozone says:

whats the difference between a hippie girl and a cigarette? a cigarette won't make it all the way around the circle. ha ha. seriously though, there are hippies that come from various places. the ones that are hippies from politics are my favorite, but even the ones that come at it from poverty are ok, although they might be a lot more inclined to litter. the main thing i am going to say to you is this, and although not many will realize it, it is very important: there is a reason that young people have pictures of jerry garcia and bob marley on their walls and it is COSMIC MANIFEST DESTINY. In a nutshell, the ancient egyptians were very well aware that the spirituality of their western civilization was symbolized in the stars (on earth as it is in the heavens- lords prayer written in hieroglyphics) thats why their pharoahs, incarnations of god on earth had AMEN in their name, like tutankhamen, amenhotep, etc… I don't know how they knew this. Amen was the rams headed god, during the age of aries the ram. PRECESSION of the equinoxes is a scientific reality- every 2000 years or so its a new age- like the last 2000 years was the age of pisces virgo (there are 2 equinoxes per year, so half the story has never been told) and who could deny that the iconography of western civilization has been totally dominated for the last 2000 years by images of jesus and mary, the fish and the virgin. so now its the age of aquarius leo and this means PSYCHEDELIC REGGAE. jerry garcia was born leo and bob marley aquarius. who will you find on the front lines of the earth first movement- gods children the dread hippies. i could go on and on about this, but it doesn't really matter, anyway, if you get it or not.

40. thediscoincident says:

I agree. However your tone makes it obvious that you don't not understand the mindset of the people who go to festivals. I don't liter and I go to my fair share and let me repeat that I agree, however, rather than speaking to the people that are causing the problems and trying to get them not to, you wrote it in way that would make someone want to tell you to go fuck yourself and liter in front of you just be an asshole.

41. Blues Bob says:

Funny, and too often true. I spend every other Sunday at my university sweeping up cigarette butts. I don’t have to, I just do it as a service to my school. Many of those cigarette butts are thrown on the ground within mere feet of an ashtray. It’s disgusting. Oh, and you spelled “pepperoni” wrong.

42. Lasculpteure says:

“Binsey Poplars” (1879)

Gerard Manley Hopkins

My aspens dear, whose airy cages quelled,
    Quelled or quenched in leaves the leaping sun,
    All felled, felled, are all felled;
    Of a fresh and following folded rank
    Not spared, not one
    That dandled a sandalled
    Shadow that swam or sank
    On meadow and river and wind-wandering weed-winding bank.

O if we but knew what we do
    When we delve or hew—
    Hack and rack the growing green!
    Since country is so tender
    To touch, her being so slender,
    That, like this sleek and seeing ball
    But a prick will make no eye at all,
    Where we, even where we mean
    To mend her we end her,
    When we hew or delve:
    After-comers cannot guess the beauty been.
    Ten or twelve, only ten or twelve
    Strokes of havoc unselve
    The sweet especial scene,
    Rural scene, a rural scene,
    Sweet especial rural scene.

43. Drew says:

Yea Ive never seen a rave kid make a complete mess of something (besides themselves). This article had potential to actually help the scene but instead it sounded like a poor excuse to blame a certain genre of people who attend festivals. The only thing that was remotely informative about this article is common knowledge that we should not litter and people should pick up after themselves. Thank You for regurgitating literature that was provided for us 50 years ago.

• Drew says:

If I had a paper version of this article I could assure you it would end up in the TRASH ;)

• cassandralanesmith says:

In my opinion, the message from 50 years ago is a really good one. And from what I've seen, it still hasn't sunk in, which is why I wrote this article.

44. SUB_skrybe says:

lol..why would they go right to the hippie looking kids?..ive been going to festivals since i was 13 and im now 24.It is the stupid Bro/Frat mentality killing the vibes. i love and create future-bass music myself but i do not promote the stupid bro mindset.we need positiveness and consciousness in our Bass music. I wish i saw more 18 year olds in dead shirts..maybe a bass your face stealie ;) ..wake up people its not the hippies trashing your place no matter what age they are.

45. Amanda says:

I'm not a smoker but what is the proper way to dispose of a cigarette butt? Would you save it an throw it in the garbage as opposed to throwing it on the ground (obviously I realize throwing it on the ground is the wrong thing to do)? While I can see that the butt ending up in a landfill is probably better than in a park, isn't the accumulation of non-biodegradable plastic still a problem in a landfill? I'd suppose the only "hippie" solution would be to roll your own cigarettes, correct?

46. Mister Khampa says:

As I recall, there was a tremendous amount of trash left behind at the Woodstock Festival in '69 or '70 or whenever the hell it was and I didn't have a very good time — maybe some good-hearted hippies stayed behind and cleaned it up. And, oh yeah — most of the people there were kids from the suburbs, not hippies. I had a lot more fun earlier that same summer at the Newport Jazz(sort of) Festival and later at the Philadelphia Folk Festival, which was still a manageable size. Actually I detest large outdoor music festivals. Who wants to go out to the country so you can stand in line for 45 minutes at porto potty or to buy a crappy sandwich for some exorbitant price. Get a few friends and some tents and head out to the woods or a national park.

47. Laura says:

Hippies were the original slackers

48. Sean says:

The hippie generation was just as fake. We in the younger generation are suffering the effects of their cultural substance dependance. Hippies took credit for cultural change which they deserve no credit for or simply didnt do much to effect. Now the real change is underway. We will actually do the work necessary.

49. conway says:

google woodstock aftermath trash images. don’t be so naive to believe that the hippies of the past were any cleaner than those of today.