Via on Jul 10, 2012

Barely Relephant Bonus: Date an Eco-Responsible Boy.

Bonus: The “Eco” Corn Cup: Trojan Horse for GMOs.

If you throw one more cigarette butt on the ground, I’m going to kick your ass.

What you are, in my opinion, is an eco-asshole.

If you’re going to call yourself a hippie, or try to live a Woodstock-inspired lifestyle by frequenting today’s music festivals, please pick up your trash. (And even if you’re not trying to call yourself a hippie or recreate Woodstock, please pick up your f*cking trash!)

The Woodstock generation is the same generation that first spoke up about the damage we are doing to our earth everyday. The generation that started these festivals we love so much stood for peace and love, but also for protecting our beautiful planet.

If there was ever a time to recreate to the Woodstock generation’s passion for saving the environment from the devastation of a consumption based culture, it would be now.

But instead, all I see are teenagers throwing processed food, plastic and cigarette butts all over the beautiful places festivals are held. By doing that, not only are you disrespecting a place you paid to be in, you’re also giving the middle finger to the people that hoped these kinds of festivals would inspire change.

I know you probably think it doesn’t matter if you litter because someone else is paid to pick it up later.  To me, using that logic is the same as not brushing your teeth because you have a dentist you can pay to do that.

Shouldn’t we all be accountable for properly disposing of our own trash at festivals? Shouldn’t we all be working together to create the best experience for everyone?  It’s hard to have a good experience when you step barefoot into a plate of day-old peperoni pizza.

Most of these festivals even make vast efforts to make it easy for you to not be an eco-douche. They have trashcans every 50 feet with signs that explain what can be recycled and composted. Is it really that hard to use them?

If we keep trashing the venues we love so much, they will lose their beauty. Then, where will our grandchildren party?

In order to protect our festival venues for future generations, I think the solution is quite simple. All you have to do is self-enforce a Leave No Trace policy and “never let it hit the ground.”

I saw and learned how this works at Burning Man, where the amount of littering is close to zero. All of the participants work together to keep their environment trash-free and take all of their trash with them when they leave.

It may sound annoying to you, but the practice of leaving no trace helped create such an amazing experience for everyone that it inspired me to continue to do so in my daily life (as much as possible).

So please, pick up your trash as festivals (and everywhere else); it’s really not that hard. And if you already do, please help me to remind those who forget.

burning man

Change starts with you.

To learn more about the efforts music festivals are making to become greener, please check out these sites:

Electric Forest: Electric-ology Progam.

Bonaroo: Greening and Green Activism.

Sonic Bloom: Keep the Scene Green.

Wakarusa: Recycalusa.

Summer Camp: Festival Greening Initiatives.

~

Coachella.WhoWoreWhat08

Bonus: Yoga Festival Packing Checklist: Top Ten Things to Bring.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cassandra Smith was formerly an editorial intern at elephant journal and and is currently the social media and marketing coordinator at Gabriel Sales.  She is a fifth generation Colorado native who believes dance has the potential to liberate human consciousness from its cultural prison.  Cassandra formerly trained at Boston Ballet and recently graduated from University of Colorado Boulder with degrees in journalism and sociology. Visit her website at cassandralanesmith.com, and follow her on Twitter.

Like elephant Green on Facebook.

About elephant journal

348 Responses to “Dear 18-year-old Kid with Dreadlocks & a Grateful Dead T-Shirt… ~ Cassandra Smith”

1. Alex420 says:

I love this article. I feel the exact same way. It pisses me off so much when I see people throw shit on the ground like plastic bottles when there is a waste can literally 30 feet ahead of them. One of my douche friends while we were discing even dropped a plastic bottle and told me "if you really care that much, you fucking pick it up." Hot damn I almost hit him in the face after he said that. I live in norhern MI and I have to say BlissFest does a wonderful job at keeping the fields and forrest clean. They have a program that has people drive through the camp sites every 20-30 minutes in golfcarts to collect trash from attendees and campers.

2. applehead says:

I was at Wakarusa, the entire campsite was nearly obliterated by the weather… all I saw were people helping one another repair the damages. there was trash blown everywhere and people came together to clean up, shared food and water, and helped where it was needed. yes, there was some trash on the ground, but not once did I see somebody just throw it. trashcans, tents, portapotties, awnings, everything got blown over or blown away. despite being knee deep in mud and barefoot for the entire 4 days, not once did I step on any glass, sharp objects, or anything unpleasant. the frat douches were present, but other than being overly obnoxious didn't seem to be contributing much more than glowsticks to the litter. that being said, I cant disagree with the sentiment on which this article is founded. I fully support your eco-friendly ideals. just tone it down a little….when I was 18 and going to festivals and wearing dead ts I didn't litter….what makes you so much cooler than that?

3. Paige says:

You don't know much about Woodstock for someone who has such a righteous attitude about it. (Though I agree in theory with what you're saying, you lose all credibility for framing it thusly).

4. Jason says:

I wish you had examined WHY it works so well at Burning Man. One of the first things to consider is that they managed to make it a cultural phenomenon – they gave it a catchy name. MOOP. Matter Out Of Place. In otherwords – it doesn't belong here in the desert.

MOOP is a much more empowering word to say than litter, it gives an impression of responsibility.

Try it. Litter moves away from you as you say it, while MOOP stops at your lips.

I'd rather not get into the merits of having to resort to buzzwords to get people to do things that they should just be doing anyway. What is important is that people have lost this bit of teaching… They're drowning in a consumerist culture, so we need to relearn a healthier way, and BMORG has found one that works for that community. Let's carry the lesson into the rest of our world.

5. Senior Hippie says:

Yes, we cleaned up so well at Woodstock! Less than 2,000 people stayed after and tried to pick up massive amounts of garbage!

6. Alex says:

This article feels extremely condescending. "You are not a true hippie," As if it's a new generation of individuals who haven't yet earned their hippie-cred yet (you know, those 18 year old kids with dreadlocks and Grateful Dead shirts). Sure, there may be inspirations from Woodstock taken by today's festivals. But Woodstock was a different animal. Yes, there was music. Yes, there were 'festivities.' But at it's core was a political protest. The core of today's festivals is "that sick line up." It's commercialized, marketed and sold. Do you believe those who run the events care if they have to pay for a trash service? If you do … I think that's silly. If you don't … then that's the place to start in solving the problem.

You know why Burning Man has a lot less trash than festivals? Because there aren't any trash cans. LNT is not simply encouraged, but demanded. There are consequences for camps who do lot practice LNT (in regards to future placement and/or even acceptance as a theme camp). And those that do pick up the more-than-zero amount of MOOP are not paid. It certainly wasn't the 18 year old at his first festival that makes the festival scene what it is, so why place the blame on them? It's a community problem, and one that alienation and blame will not fix.

I believe there are a lot of great things about the festival community. There are a lot of AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL individuals that regularly attend these event. However, the claim that the purpose of these events is to better the world is pretentious and misguided.

7. Flowerchild says:

"You are not cool just because you are at Wakarusa/Summer Camp/Bonnaroo/Electric Forest and haven’t showered in over a week. You are not a true hippie, and you are not recreating some mythical Woodstock." Who said we were trying to recreate woodstock? Its about enjoying good music with good people, SOME people there are quite messy and have no regard for the earth but the majority of the people at Electric 2013 (at least) were very good about picking up their garbage, I myself stopped to pick up stray garbage when switching shows. None of which i had thrown on the ground.
    But when the Venue it's-self fails to provide EMPTY garbage receptacles people will be prone to just leave it for the people who are PAID TO CLEAN up the forest; because they know there is someone to take care of it afterwards, All of the garbage cans and recycle bins were overflowing the last day of Electric. So how about you stop stereotyping on a public website. How about you post effective ways to compost and recycle while at a festival instead of trying to bully your audience.

8. Tiffany says:

I agree that the first few sentences and not productive for the article. "If you throw one more cigarette butt on the ground, I’m going to kick your ass.
    You are not cool just because you are at Wakarusa/Summer Camp/Bonnaroo/Electric Forest and haven’t showered in over a week. You are not a true hippie, and you are not recreating some mythical Woodstock". For one thing the leave no trace principle is 1 of the 10 principles that the Burner Community lives by. Ironically, the 1st principle is radical inclusion meaning no judgement, no discrimination everyone is worth acceptance were we are all equal, we are all special spirits, and everyone is welcome….so her opening statement was in violation of the 1st principle…so if you are going recite and base your opinion on the burning man concept then you need to adhere to all the principles and not pick and chose the ones you like..
    here is a link to the page, please read them and join our family….we welcome all with love and tolerance even the staff at "The Elephant Journal", and yes Cassandra even you too… Much Love Tcakes (my playa name) http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_

9. bob says:

The sentiment is good but to use Woodstock as an example is total bullshit. Get your facts straight before writing. The amount of trash left after Woodstock was not only high in volume but disgusting in what was left.
    The cleanest events I've attended were airshows at Hamilton airport. After the shows there is not a single bottle or wrapper on the grass. It's really quite an amazing sight.

10. ehscott1992 says:

This is such a great article! Thank you for articulating what I've been thinking since all my friends got back from Bonnaroo!

11. Kelsey says:

After EDC last month, it's shocking for someone from the Bay Area to go somewhere like Vegas where they don't recycle at ALL, let along compost. All those commemorative yard-longs, pirate skull shaped cups, other one-time use doohickeys that they sell on the strip – they all make me so sad because they all end up in landfill. That being said, I noticed a sparcity of trash cans at EDC. Every time I needed to throw something away, I needed to hunt for one. Maybe it's because of the vastness of the venue? Dunno.

This message does remind me of the mess that was left on Hippie Hill in Golden Gate Park after 4/20. It cost the city thousands of dollars to clean up after this crowd – a crowd supposedly comprised of environmentally-minded young folks. Yeah right. So sad.

12. Billy Sunday says:

Lady Are you Serious!! Woodstock was a trash heap at the end, and Altamount someone tried to kill Mick Jagger Have you ever been to a Dead show. No not Further, When Jerry was alive.. yeah or even Brent for that matter. There was something called the Trash Crew. Who handed out garbage bags with friendly words of advice about recyling, and cleaned up the lots. Just because one kid is wearing a Dead shirt( if thats what you even witnessed, or just wrote that for a catchy title) you have now put a whole group of music listeners into a grouping of litterbugs. SO if the kid you supposedly seen was wearing a Jimi Hendrix shirt then what. Your article should be titled "Dear Y generation grow up, and use a trash can and a shower" Instead of hiding behind your computer and complaining, did you ever tell the kid you supposedly seen a kind word or two, and help you brother out by educating him on not littering.??

13. Southlander says:

REALLY? I'm 51 years old and an Ex-Deadhead, I was too young to be a hippy, but I saw the Woodstock movie…After everyone left there was TONS OF TRASH..also when I was doing the GD tour in the late 70's – half the stinking, dirty deadhead wannabees and faux hippies would STEAL YOU BLIND if you turned your back on them. Quit romanticizing the past..young people who got to festivals and party now are really no different then ther ones that went 40 years ago, 30 years ago..etc…although we should ALL subscribe to the "leave nothing but footprints" mantra…peace

14. Elle says:

Amazing message made less powerful with sadly classic, stabbing stereotypes. Remove all the 'hippie' language and place blame on not one group of kids who like the Dead. The message of self-reliance, care for the planet and respect for the earth, and the concept of 'leave no trace' will become the centerpiece of the article.

15. Neon says:

Be a DEADHEAD, not a LITTERBUG!
    Clean your Scene!

16. BurnerW says:

Great message, but simply Google "trash +Woodstock" to see the colossal mess that generation left behind. Maybe it would be best to ignore the past altogether and focus on a cleaner future, unless you want to give the trolls something to pick on.

LNT 4 ever!

17. MAJESTICLOVE says:

While I fully agree with picking up after yourself and any litter you may come upon, the Woodstock reference is not a good one; have you ever seen what the true Woodstock Hippies left behind? The place looked like a landfill. I also agree with some of the comments on here (Like DEADHEAD's from 51 weeks ago) those of us who love live music and follow bands around (go ahead and call me a hippie for it) respect the bands, respect the environment, respect the venues, and are there for a positive experience, not to trash the place. When I am going to a local show, I don't eat beforehand or stop and grab something on the way, I go to shakedown on the lot to get some homemade food from my fellow kind, I would rather support them than a chain. Keep on promoting a clean earth, I am with you! :)

18. Sean says:

I try to do my part at these events. But this article is just so negative. why don,t you go pick up trash in your spare time, I do….

19. Joe B. says:

I have a couple of problems with it. The article itself is well intentioned, the message being please don't mess up music festival grounds. My problems is that the author says that people are trying to re-create a mythical Woodstock, but since they are throwing garbage everywhere they ultimately fail to do so. This statement overlooks the huge amount of litter and garbage left behind in the wake of the original woodstock, so much so that people created giant peace signs out of garbage that are now one of the most lasting images of the festival. The second problem I have is how the author feels the need to establish herself as an authority as to what the socially constructed label "Hippie" means. The term hippie can have as many meanings as there are people willing to use the term, and since its origins lie in the 60's counter culture, which existed as a group that really didn't have a definitive set of principals or goals as a whole, trying to utilize your understanding as to what the term "hippie" means to put down others who do not conform to your own ethical values is historically and culturally inaccurate. Yes the term "hippie" can be used as derogatory phrase, but by saying one isn't a "true hippie" unless they conform to your own personal views is actually very much against the spirit of what created hippies in the first place, a sense of acceptance and appreciation for each other's differences.

20. I think the anger and name calling are unnecessary of course. I know many young people who are dong a great job of using practices in their daily, developing lives as well as at the festivals we all attend. In fact I have been very impressed with many of the young people I know because of their level of awareness; political, social, ecological and otherwise. Having said that, I have also been disturbed and less and less enamored of certain festivals as the years go by just because of the impact they have on that whatever space of our precious mother they are held on. I'm not certain that she can take the strain, year after year. Often the grass is stomped down and worn away by such large gatherings and there are plenty of 'adults' doing the damage. Our young people need guidance, wisdom and encouragement, not a barrage of ill will and harsh judgement. Shanti

21. disco says:

This article makes valid points but anyone can look back after woodstock and that property was trashed, Trash was everywhere so don't sit here and say this generation jam band festivals ( brief description ) have unruly teenagers .

22. Guest says:

look at the picture! People dont care, they have half naked girls with their butts hanging out, more pretty than the ground to look at right :) Seems like its more of a get in to fit in, than what your own footprint leaves behind after your gone

• M.Christine says:

except that photo is from Burning Man, the place the author suggests has nearly zero trash left behind.

23. M.Christine says:

One of the main focus of the Elephant Journal is living a mindful life. One of the main factors of mindfulness is compassion and living a life in the now and without judgement. While I agree with the idea this article is trying to convey, I felt the delivery was all wrong. It was very judgemental and singled out an entire group of people. I know it was meant to be sarcastic, that was not lost on me, but I think it could have been presented in a more compassionate way.

I am in my mid-30s and have been attending festivals of all kinds for years. Yes, the garbage that accumulates can be astounding, but it's not only the "young people" leaving it everywhere. People of all ages and walks of life casually leave their garbage on the fields just as they would leave their trash on the floor or cupholders in the movie theatre (something nobody ever seems to complain about because hey, people are paid to clean up there!).

Sure, it's sad people don't pick up after themselves but – rather than being snarky and pointing fingers and making yourself aggravated and perhaps threatening to kick people's ass or just complaining about it – you can always try to do more. Pick up extra garbage. I do it at every show/festival/event I attend. I have to go to the restroom? I start picking up empty cups along the way. I need another beverage? Pick up trash along the way. Believe it or not, this exercise is contagious – I started doing it years ago when I saw someone else doing it.

24. Over it says:

Burner's leave a HUGE amount of trash behind…try staying until it's officially over and the cleanup begins….

25. Michael Rosteck says:

To hell with these giant festivals. I've been to them… Bonnaroo, Rothbury, Woodstock '99, etc. There fun in their own way and offer some big name performers, but that's not where it's at. When it gets to be that big, people don't give a damn about the venue. The smaller festivals is where it's really at. I don't know what it's like in other states, but in Michigan one can hit up a great music festival nearly every weekend of the summer where there is great regional acts (sometimes national/international acts, too) on beautiful land with people who are almost all conscientious festers. I'm hitting up Blissfest this weekend in northern MI… a great example of what I'm talking about. Farmfest, Rootenanny, Dunesville, Wheatland, and Earthwork's Harvest Gathering… all great "little" festivals here in MI that far out shine the blockbusters of the festival scene.

26. david says:

We need to get more aggressive in our attempts to reduce the amount of rubbish left at festivals. increased awareness and more rubbish facilities can reduce left over waste. I don't think festivals do enough regarding the "keep it clean" initiative. there is often no direction or not enough rubbish areas / bins in close proximity. (remember we are a lazy bunch, ne! ) if your smart you will boldly elaborate and incorporate it initiatives into your marketing and branding.

27. Burke Resident says:

I was living in Vermont close to where they had a huge Phish concert for several days..
    The amount of trash that was left on the side of Interstate 91 was appalling. As a Phish fan and a local resident I was furious and actually posted on craigslist in the New York and Boston metro areas and how could people come to my beautiful state and crap on and leave trash all along the freeway like they do on the city streets. How hard was it to put the trash in the trunk of your car and find a dumpster on the way home. Phish paid a lot of money out of the bands profits to have the trash collected.
    It is not hard to clean up after yourself.

28. Traveller says:

It's right what you said, but did you ever see a pic or a video from Woodstock?! The place infront of the stage looked like a huge waste dump! So you can't say that the Woodstock generation was better than the festival traveller today! In my opinion today are many many festivals, which have a good handling with waste! E.p the BOOM-festival in Potugal or like you said the Burning Man.

29. Guy says:

Generation I… here they come!

30. Mike says:

Yeap. And the same generation that started this stuff you mention is now the government in charge of ruining our economy, destroying our environment and killing innocent women and children in the name of "freedom."

Don't worry about the venues. They use $ from you tickets to clean up all the trash. As long as we keep paying 100's of dollars for tickets, they don't care what we do to the place. Personally, I keep my area clean, but really, it doesn't matter cuz the venue staffs for it and they don't really care when they pick up your $10 beer cups. Pennies on the dollar of what they are profiting.

If you want to wake people up on a subject, wake them up to the fact that we are screwing over the next generation with endless wars, inflation, student loans and rampant government greed.

31. Capn says:

I just don't get why this column attacks 18-year-olds trying to figure life out. Why doesn't it just say, "Leave no trace"? I see plenty of teenagers going to great lengths to protect the environment, and I'm sure they could chastise us old folk for doing plenty of things wrong too. I guess the writer can't feel good about herself nor her message without attacking others.

Anyway, massive fires probably aren't all that great for the environment, nor is copious exhaust from cars and generators, and I don't even know how they get water there, but I definitely appreciate the attempt to leave no trash at Burning Man. I thought it was cool how 10KLF made big environmental efforts, and Rock the Garden attempts to be a zero-waste event.

I've never understood why some people litter in parks. Playing disc golf over the years, I've never been able to comprehend how people enjoying nature and recreation would be willing to uglify it. When there aren't enough trash cans, I guess that's the park's fault.

Finally, I would imagine that all festivals pay custodial staff to clean up after people, just like at a sporting event or movie theater. So…. TRASH=JOBS! Using less water, carbon and energy seem like more valid goals for festivals.

32. elephantjournal says:

Kelly Steen: Disappointed elephant journal continues to post this stereotypical, highly negative piece – this is the 3rd time it's been posted without acknowledging it's faults?? Yes, keep festivals, the WORLD clean – but lets not pin blame on any one said group. Think you can find a better article to articulate the cleanliness approach to festivals you are seeking. This one doesn't cut it.

elephantjournal.com Half the discussion, as you've probably seen, takes place in comments. That's a key difference between old and new media—it's not a one-way street. This is an important question, and Cassie, dare I say, attends more festivals than most of us and gave voice, clearly, to many folks' frustrations with the mindless waste therein—with great resources for positive change in the blog.

Follow your own advice, I beg you: offer an alternative, instead of complaining. We're independent, grassroots, reader-created. http://www.elephantjournal.com/submit

And, yes. We'll continue to post this or (yours?, or) any thoughtful take on this question, and others, until awareness and concern boils over into positive change. That's our job. I was just speaking at Wanderlust Festival—and was impressed by their thorough, fun care for our Mother Earth. Yes, most folks flew and all certainly drove in, and tons of waste was created, but everything was done with fun, simple, mindful care. That's what we're looking for.

Yours sincerely in the vision of Enlightened Society,

Waylon Lewis

33. candace says:

wrong etiquette! you wrote teenager, given the ticket amoints of most festivals, they are NOT teens, but rather older, and supposedly more experienced people. Sounds like you have bias Nd bad opinion of people at these pArticular venues AND people that dont shower!

34. plooring says:

this is very very beautiful site
    i am very impress of this site

35. Gorillafists says:

I was staff for wakarusa’s change over. We were on trash pick up. We picked up thousand of pieces of trash, human feces, shitty paper towels, millions of cigarette butts, etc. it made me really dislike festival goers. This article could not be closer to the truth. Please, for gods sake, pick up your shit and put it in a trash can..

36. Alison says:

Cassandra, while I agree whole heartedly with aspects of this message, the judgemental and confrontational, name-calling is pretty low. I don't see anything changing with your abusive tone and criticizing youth for their inconsiderate behavior, while glorifying the baby-boomers, of which many have been ecologically unsound, despite liberal and green leanings in their youth, accomplishes nothing. Elephant journal is a yogic publication to my understanding and your article is off-putting, agressive, and does not adhere to the yogic principle of non-violence. You need to check your perceptions of youth as being narcisstic consumers, and look to the providers of their disposable culture. Your attitude is violent and the behavior that you are criticizing is a violent act to the earth. Violence begets more violence. Time to grow up and take a look in the mirror, because the behavior that you rail against the most is a reflection of your shadow. Check yourself.

37. Dan M says:

id like to say one thing about bonnaroo they have a nice little system to keep people picking up cans bottles and butts u collect enough they have a booth where u bring those items and can receive vouchers for food drinks and also festival memorabilia with that said bonnaroo was very very clean this past year

38. Frank says:

Nice sentiments, but, ultimately, total crap. The youth and cultural movements of the 1960s were multifaceted. Some hippies went back to nature or reclaimed it in the cities. Many others did not. An object lesson in how out of touch this article is can be had by simply watching the last fifteen minutes of the movie Woodstock, where the trash was overwhelming (it took months to clean up). An acquaintance of mine, Livingston Thompson, is one of four or five people who can be seen cleaning up as the aerial camera pans back from the site. Clean up because its the responsible thing to do, not because of some misguided history lesson.

39. At Metallica's Orion Festival on Belle Isle in Detroit, they gave away free T-Shirts for a bag of trash. There was a booth near the front, you got your garbage bag from them and when you brought it back you received a T-Shirt that commemorated Orion. There were people (festival goers) everywhere picking up trash. Cleanest venue I've been to in a long time.

40. jgalls says:

I have shared this article everywhere.

41. fergyalex says:

Littering is always lazy and disrespectful, but if there's a place they are going to litter, I hope it's a festival. At least there're people compensated to pick it up — and owners are usually compensated very well to ensure the venue is restored to its pre-fest condition. By the way, they didn't pack it out at Woodstock.

42. Gloria says:

To be fair, Woodstock was not eco friendly by any means — the cycle repeats (are all music festivals the same?). But I am agreed with the primary argument.

43. Stupid article says:

So I am not sure if you are new to the festival scene or not. While I do agree people should not litter, these festivals are making THOUSANDS of dollars. They PAY (usually free tickets to the less) hundreds of people to clean up that trash afterwards. I didn't read the whole thing because your first few paragraphs made absolutely no sense to me.

Yeah when you're waking up sunday morning packing your things getting ready to leave it may look like a dump. By monday or sometimes tuesday it is all cleaned up. Makes No difference if there are cigarette butts on the ground of a heap of giant that someone "clean" put together.

I know I'm certainly not taking my garbage with me.

44. Majik says:

I think this article should have taken a kinder approach. At 18, you could be ghetto fab or dippin’ with the hipsters. I remember being 18. I’m not sure what or who I was..I am sure you did not either. As a parent, I try to educate and emulate a healthy lifestyle for my children. Treating Each other and our Mother Earth with great care and kindness, I hope will build a foundation that my children need.

45. Liberty says:

This article begins with an aggressive, hateful, and condescending tone. The quality of articles lately has seriously gone down and are filled with ignorance and hatred. I'm disappointed. You probably mean well, but you are incredibly self-righteous. You know, people are still part of the earth and deserve the same amount of respect that you give yourself, and perhaps they would be more inclined to listen to you if you got off of your high horse. Also, Woodstock was one of the dirtiest music festivals ever, and this is basic common knowledge. Hippies from the 70s are completely idealized in our society and a lot of people fail to remember the filth they left after that festival- trash, drugs- they ruined the land for a while. They didn't care much about the environment because our world wasn't in the state it is now, they cared more about social issues, which heavily involved how we treat each other. Funny you should say that- change really does start with you.

46. jacko says:

I find your "better-than-you" attitude to be a tad bit unnerving. Coming from one of those young people who apparently don't know better and need to be talked down to in order to be gotten through to (according to you) — you are going about this the wrong way. And also, you're making giant generalizations here. I don't call myself a hippie because I go to music festivals, have had dreadlocks twice, practice yoga daily and follow a buddhist philosophy of life — i call myself a hippie because out of all of the groups of people on this Earth, the hippies have always accepted me for exactly who I am. I would have to say that is true for most of the "neo-hippies" or whatever they're being called. Also, I never leave a trace anywhere I go. Whether I am at a festival, or hiking through the appalachia I take out what I took in. I also know that all of my other friends who identify themselves with the term "hippie" are the same way. For the most part, I've never known a hippie to litter. I've known a lot of stupid rave-kids/douchebags/general populationists to litter, but me and all my friends are good to our mother. just saying.

47. Daniel McCaleb says:

I completely agree, I constantly picki up after myself and sometimes others at music festivals and my cigarette butts all go in my pocket until I can find somewhere to throw them away

48. Jade says:

I literally have no idea why people would litter but I don't think the fact that someone has dreadlocks and grateful dead top on really makes them the kind of person that wouldn't care about dropping trash everywhere. I have both of those things and really couldn't agree with you more. Aside from the Woodstock part. It was a burning pile of shit when everyone had left.

49. Brittney says:

Rothbury music fest in Michigan (well, when I went in 2008), was beautiful and everyone worked together to keep the grounds clean. This article explains EXACTLY why my husband and I quit going to festivals. People are idiotic and disrespectful. These kids are all about the "peace, love and rock and roll" but they are the first people that will not only litter, but steal stuff from your campsite. It's not even fun anymore.

50. adam says:

It is sad to see post festival grounds, they are always a fuckin disaster, how hard is it to throw your trash away or put your butt out and stick it in ur pocket until u pass the next trash can?!